How to get rid of a bad runner's stitch

Options
I recently started jogging and find that I have the worst stitch in my upper right side. What can I do to prevent this or help alleviate it during my workouts?

Replies

• titletown
    titletown Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I had the same thing the first couple times I went out as well. no idea what it was, but it sucked.

It went away on it's own a week or two after I started.
  • Andythefitfamilyman
    Options
    bumpity bump
  • JoceyyySmall
    JoceyyySmall Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Try taking deep breaths and breathing out (its usually from breathing that causes it- this is what I have read) and I personally massage that area for a minute or so until it goes away. These two things have helped.
  • sezgirl
    sezgirl Posts: 23
    Options
    how often are you waiting to run after eating/drinking? try not having anything for at least 2 hours before going for a run and seeing if that changes anything... if not then you could try some breathing exercises.. in through your nose out through your mouth?

i know it sounds silly but if i ever get a stitch during my run i find that if i press firmly on the area with my hand i am able to continue to run until it goes away.. its still there but not nearly as bad..
  • gracienkaidens_momma
    gracienkaidens_momma Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I will try these things. I really do need to pay more attention to my breathing while jogging.
  • justleeanne
    justleeanne Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Try not to eat too soon before exercising, make sure that you warm up properly and are not cold when you exercise, learn how to breathe properly and control your breathing while you are running. Running with a good posture and not being hunched forward can help to prevent also and doing core exercises like crunches etc.

If you want to try to get rid of one, you can slow down temporarily and try to regulate your breathing pattern if you're not breathing well and jog through it, if that doesn't help you can change your breathing pattern up. Some people compress the area of the stitch but I'm not sure if that's good for it or not.

I used to get them when I first started running but as I have gotten fitter I haven't had one for a couple of months now. :)
  • valeriebpdx
    valeriebpdx Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    It is not exhaling fully that is said to cause them. Concentrate on your breathing and make sure you exhale for a few more counts than you inhale--really blow all the air out on your last count. I hardly ever get them anymore but when I feel one coming on, this always stops it. Happy running!
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    how often are you waiting to run after eating/drinking? try not having anything for at least 2 hours before going for a run and seeing if that changes anything... if not then you could try some breathing exercises.. in through your nose out through your mouth?

i know it sounds silly but if i ever get a stitch during my run i find that if i press firmly on the area with my hand i am able to continue to run until it goes away.. its still there but not nearly as bad..

It's not silly! It's a good technique! You're also right about the food thing.

This is what I read in Runners World:
    If you get a stitch on your right side (which is more common),
    slow down for 30 seconds or so and exhale forcefully each time your left foot hits the ground. If the stitch is on the left, exhale hard when your right foot lands. Continue until pain recedes. If this doesn't help, try slow, deep "belly breathing" (your abdomen should go in and out with each breath). Or run with your hands on top of your head and your elbows back while you breathe deeply from your belly.

Another remedy is to take your fist and dig it under your ribcage, push the fist in with your other arm and bend your torso over almost to 90 degrees. Run like this for 10 steps. This stretches the diaphragm, and most stitches are caused by a spasm of the diaphragm. If none of these techniques work, stop and walk until the pain subsides.

And here's a no-brainer: to prevent stitches caused by food in the stomach, don't eat before you run.

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/1,7120,s6-241-290-291-432-0,00.html

edited to add: I didn't write that last bit about it being a no brainer, that's from the article. Didn't want anyone to think I was being snippy :smile:
  • gracienkaidens_momma
    gracienkaidens_momma Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I never eat before I run, or I'd probably vomit. lol

I went running again today and got to lap 8 (2 mile mark) and got a mild stitch. I made it that far w/o one because of really focusing on exhaling deeply.

Thanks again for all of your awesome advice. :-)
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    For me the empty stomach is the key. That's why I run in the mornings.
  • catrionaj
    catrionaj Posts: 3
    Options
    There have definitely been lots of helpful suggestions so far... and I'm going to try to add one more! :)

I find it very helpful to regulate your breathing while running - it takes a bit of thought at first, and then becomes completely natural (this is something that a coach told me a long time ago, and it really helps). What I mean by this is that you should try to breathe in time with your steps - sounds silly, but it does work. Typically, you want to inhale for two steps (two footfalls) and exhale for two. Then, if and when you get a cramp, it tends to be on your 'breathing' side (i.e. if I'm starting each inhalation and exhalation when my right foot hits the ground, I may get a stitch on my right side). Switch to 'left-foot breathing,' and the stitch goes away!

Again, I do realize how silly this sounds... but it really does work!
  • Mrs_TrimWaistFatWallet
    Options
    You might be cramping up in your stride meaning try to loosen your stride/torso/arms up. I get a stitch only when Im not physically relaxed in my stride.

Lessen tention in your shoulders, drop your arms a bit, slow down, deep breaths.
  • jpooley1988
    jpooley1988 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Bump, this post is a great help! I get horrible stiches every time I jog for even a few minutes!!! Thanks guys!
  • CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    My son's lacrosse coach told the players that got stitches to breath through clinched teeth. He said it worked. It has something to do with taking in less oxygen.
  • jpooley1988
    jpooley1988 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    #You guys are too good! I managed to run for 8 minutes on the treadmill and I only got the tiniest stitch and it dissapeared almost ever time i focused on my breathing!!! :)
  • cammers74
    Options
    Definitely try and focus on your breathing, although it tends to come naturally once you start running a bit more and get in to a natural stride. Sounds like everyone on here has given you sound advise, but Runners World are good at tips for things for like this so when you have time, take a peek on there! :)
  • gotabayqh
    gotabayqh Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thought I'd bring up a problem I get while running. Don't really get the stitch in the side but my lower abdomen gets crampy... any thoughts??
  • fitb4forty
    Options
    I have always lifted my arm above my head on the side that the stich is on...as many have said to their ideas, may seem silly and probably looks sillier but it always works for me. I only have to hold my arm up for about 30 seconds before it goes away. Again, it proably has to do with breathing properly like others have said and I believe that lifting your arm just helps to open your diaphragm on that side to help regulate the flow of air.
  • j_courter
    j_courter Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    thanks for the great question and all the great advice! :-) i guess i need an app to help me breathe properly! ;-) someone please get right on that! lol.
  • kristie_cla
    kristie_cla Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Bump