sick runner?

Options
Ok, Now what? I think I have strep throat! I am so scared that I am missing training days. I missed my 7 mile this morning and not sure what is wrong with me? What happens if I miss training days. This is my first half and I feel like I'll be in big trouble if I miss any miles. Should I add on miles for this week when I feel better or just continue the same?

Replies

• discodaddy61
    discodaddy61 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    just rest and get better you cant do well exercising when your body is fighting an infection you can always get back on track once your better. i missed a workout today due to some personal health problems. dont feel guilty your body will appreciate the rest
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Rest up until you're fully well. Don't try and make up for missed miles, but gradually ease back into your plan then pick up the next scheduled long run when you're ready. Usually you'll find it's a lot easier than you thought and your body appreciates the rest.
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    I'm told that with a cold...if its in the head, you can run. If its in the chest, you can't.

My personal experience, and having watched others, is that running when you are ill can make things a lot worse. Its better to recover properly then ease back into it. No training programme is set in stone - you will need to look at it and decide what is a sensible way to revise it based on how well and how quickly you recover.

When you are feeling better, post your programme and we will find a way to edit it.
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Rest - and your body will pay you back. If you are good to it, it will work wonders for you. If you don't rest, it will pay you back, in misery. Give your body what it needs and come back stronger.
  • ingies2011
    ingies2011 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I want to do a 5k run tomorrow, but have a bad cold, and a mild temperature.... maybe will take this advise too and give it a miss for a few more days.
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    My two cents? Don't panic. You sound like you're in panic mode over a missed run. "I'll be in big trouble..." Well, no, not really. Running, and in particular racing, is fun. LOTS of fun. Endless amounts of fun. Mile after mile of joy and fun.

I hope as you heal (And good luck with that. Strep throat can be a booger.), you're able to find that center of peace, calm, joy, and fun. Because I just gotta say. This is fun stuff!

Enjoy your half marathon! Exciting stuff!!!
  • Lokah13
    Options
    I recently got over strep throat, when I first started getting sick, I kept on running because I did not know it was strep throat. 4 days of running 5-7 miles a day while being sick did not help any, on the the 5th day I finally went to see the doctor. I was put on bed rest for 5 days because it was that bad. My body was trying to fight off the strep throat and because I kept running and not giving my body the time to heal made it a lot worse