Need advice before I loose the will to live :(

Options

Replies

• Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    Despite people telling you all sorts of rubbish on here like "1200kCal or less is too little" yada yada waffle waffle...

The simple reason is you're not creating an actual deficit with your calories, so you're probably thinking you're putting less calories in than you actually are, and burning more than you actually are or one or the other. You could also be retaining some water.

I didn't notice any change 'til after about 6 weeks by the way then it started falling off. If you;re serious about weight loss, you have to be serious about the lifestyle that comes with it. So you must make this sustainable. And not give up so soon. 4 weeks is not very long.

or

because this advice amount to nothing, see I fixed it for you. 4weeks is plenty time to see a difference if you number one, eat more calories because 1200calories is not enough to get the proper nutrition you need with such a high activity level
  • hannata86
    Options
    I've been there and done that, learning the hard way that eating next to nothing is not always the way. Not only are you not losing weight, you're also feeling down about it. I can understand your thinking, "theres no way I can't lose weight" am I right? Sadly our bodies aren't designed that way.. they need fuel to work and to burn off the calories.

You've got two options:

- If you know you earn 3000+ calories a week, you could set mfp to maintain, and do not eatback calories, so your exercise would provide the deficit for weightloss

-Make it a bit more exact and set mfp to -1 a week, then eat back your calories. You MUST eat back your calories if you do a lot of exercise.

Super mega kudos to you for working as hard as you are, but take it a little easier on yourself m'dear. :)
  • Evy79
    Evy79 Posts: 30
    Options
    I have to agree with quite a few other people, you're not eating enough calories. Enjoy a bit more food!
  • elysecea
    elysecea Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    You need to eat way more than you are eating first of all!!! If you are exercising that much you need to provide your body with the fuel it needs. I am sure you are very tired, eat back you exercise calories!!! It will make a huge difference I promise!! You dont have to eat them all back just some, also start some strength training into your routine, that makes a huge difference as well!! Good Luck!
  • Jesea
    Jesea Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    When I started running 2 years ago, I lost 2 pants sizes without losing a single pound. My body felt strong and I looked much more toned than I had when I was bigger. No one but you sees your scale, don't give it so much power! If you feel good and feel you look good, then that's all that matters!
  • mgdiock
    mgdiock Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Bottom line- You've slowed you metabolism to a crawl. 1200 Calories is the minimum for a person that is resting all day and not doing much. I often see people in these forums say "I only eat 1200 calories per day". Hey, if I did that, I'd lose the will to live too, and I'd be grumpy as all get out to boot!

You are excercising like crazy. Not knowing how much exercise you are doing in all of these categories, but it sounds like you could be burning close to 1500 calories per day. That being the case, assuming your calories are 1200 per day allowance when resting, you would now need to consume 2700 calories to lose weight. Counterintuitive- not really. You need these calories to run your metabolism properly. What you are doing is unhealthy.
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    hello! nothing new to add as there has already been some great advice on the threads. Just wanted to say dont give up, you are only giving up on yourself. Start afresh, re-focus. There must have been something that you were unhappy with to make this committment to change yourself, dont give up on yourself. Fight back, eat more if you are to exercise that much or maybe try cutting down on the exercise. good luck :)
  • donniss
    Options
    It is difficult to step on the scale and see that you are not losing weight, in fact you could be gaining weight! There is plenty of people telling you you are not eating enough and I would agree with them. The min amount anyone should eat is posted at 1300 calories a day. That is for someone who is not doing any workout or fitness program. Bump up your Calories to 1500, then 1700, and finally 2000. Add weights to your workout. You do not need to be the "I pick things up and put them down" person. Low weights high reps. Also, do not beat yourself up about losing weight too much. Yea, get ticked off but in a good way. If it were easy we wouldn't need to work out.
  • samatalma
    Options
    You're not losing because you're not eating enough. If you are working out that much, there is no way your body can fuel itself on 1200 calories a day, nevermind LESS than that.
    Eat more and you should lose more. Simple as that.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    my guess you are eating enough

are you eating your exercise calories? are you drinking enough water?

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle building, and reducing fat. This means it is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode).

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits

Sorry that should have said NOT eating enough
  • tchrnmommy
    tchrnmommy Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I have been going to the gym Mon-Fri for the past 4 weeks working on treadmill, cross trainer and bike. Also swimming afterwards, working on my cross trainer at home at the weekends and doing my horses twice a day 7 days a week, eating less than 1200 calories a day and have not lost a single pound... What am I doing wrong?

Any advice would be great as I seem to loosing the will to live :(

Eating less than 1200 calories a day with that routine would be my guess as to what you are doing wrong. But I'm sure the pages of advice you got before my response probably said the same and gave all the reasons why that's not the right caloric intake for your activity level.
  • dafoots0911
    dafoots0911 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert but if you are doing all that exercise you should be eating more than 1200 calories a day.

Keep your head up! I'm sure you will find something that will work for you and have the scales moving in the right direction.
    I agree. You are not eating enough and your body has gone into starvation mode and holding on to whatever it can to survive. You need to eat more but eat clean whole foods. No junk and no processed.
  • Makethefatcry12
    Makethefatcry12 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert but if you are doing all that exercise you should be eating more than 1200 calories a day.

I agree with this ^ track your food and exercise and eat back the exercise calories. I upped my calories because I was burning so many and the weight started coming off very quickly when I was stuck for a while. Also, drink a lot of water.

You can do this. Remember, it's a journey, not a race. You will get there. Good luck =)
  • Smansfield1
    Smansfield1 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I try to NET 1200 calories a day. Sometimes I eat back all my exercise calories sometimes I only eat back a few to get me up to 1200.
    Also, you need to give your body a rest day. There is such a thing as TOO much exercise. And have a spike day with your calories.
  • jcr85
    jcr85 Posts: 229
    Options
    Its funny how everyone's advice is to eat more. She is probably eating too much if she is working out 7 days a week for four weeks and hasn't lost a single pound.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I have been going to the gym Mon-Fri for the past 4 weeks working on treadmill, cross trainer and bike. Also swimming afterwards, working on my cross trainer at home at the weekends and doing my horses twice a day 7 days a week, eating less than 1200 calories a day and have not lost a single pound... What am I doing wrong?

1 - 'loosing the will to live' is a disturbing statement....seek professional help if you really feel is way
    2 - eating less than 1200 is not healthy and is counterproductive with all the working out you have been doing
    3 - Bottom line - seek profession help if you are that depressed, EAT MORE healthy nutritious foods, take a rest day once in awhile
  • leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    OK if you're seriously losing the will to live and not just using hyperbole then I would suggest going to talk to your doctor. Having suicidal thoughts is always a massive warning sign and you need to get that fixed.

I cannot agree with this more. If you are losing the will to live, please go see a doctor and ask for help. You can also talk to that doctor about your desire to be healthy and lose weight, and they can help you there too. MFP is a great tool, but sometimes it takes more than just the one tool to get you where you need to go.
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options

Were you exaggerating? Because if not, a mental health professional might be more of a priority than a medical doctor right now. If you are feeling depressed (not just a bout of the "blues" or expressing momentary frustration), you may want to talk to someone who can help you work through those feelings.

National Mental Health Assn. Provides free information on specific disorders, referral directory to mental health providers, national directory of local mental health associations 1-800-969-6642 (M-F, 9-5 EST)
  • aml1974
    Options
    Its funny how everyone's advice is to eat more. She is probably eating too much if she is working out 7 days a week for four weeks and hasn't lost a single pound.

Well said!! I quoted how i always maintain a deficit in my calorie intake as advised by my nutritionalist and was asked if I was trying to be skinny or healthy??? some just don't get it, and if you mention strength training they all assume you want to have big muscles, strength training combined with cardio burns more calories and tones the body.
  • leanmachinedream
    Options

Not necessarily. If you exercise a lot your body needs more than just 1200 calories. 1200 calories is great if you're sedentary,

Also, OP, if you're truly losing the will to live you need to seek help. If you're not, then stop being a drama queen because exaggerating isn't funny.