Surprised by how many people cant spell "lose"

Options

Replies

• Gail3260
    Gail3260 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    It's a logical error when you stop and think about it.

The pronunciation of lose has the longer vowel sound, yet loose has the shorter vowel sound.

So for someone trying to work it out who hasn't committed the spellings to memory, they are making a decent guess based on the spoken word.

Sorry but being totally pedantic......the vowel sounds are the same it is the sibillant 's' consonants which are different!
  • Soon2BeMrsThomson
    Options
    Jeeez I thought this was a weight/fitness site not a bloomin grammer/finishing school????

Some people really must have nothing better to do if this annoys them, personally I'm always to busy working or having fun to CARE!!
  • Lambiii
    Lambiii Posts: 321
    Options
    Eye no! It's sew re****ulos how meney peepol cant spell werds corectally.Goe bak too scool!

Hahaha ^^^

So what!!, people make spelling mistakes, we are not here to judge spelling mistakes, we are here to support and help people like our selves! I wish people would stop being so judgmental over such small things!

Rant over :)
  • duharvalgt
    Options
    It's a logical error when you stop and think about it.

The pronunciation of lose has the longer vowel sound, yet loose has the shorter vowel sound.

So for someone trying to work it out who hasn't committed the spellings to memory, they are making a decent guess based on the spoken word.

Sorry but being totally pedantic......the vowel sounds are the same it is the sibillant 's' consonants which are different!

Correcting a mistake of a person trying to correct a mistake, nice =)
  • Greyhawk
    Greyhawk Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    This site is about support and acceptance....Just a guess , but I bet you spell something's wrong once in a while as well.
  • andrejjorje
    andrejjorje Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    This... Internet chats, forums, blogs (places where people interact) is not a place where to look for correct grammar, syntax or punctuation. You don't like it, leave. You won't be able to correct all of them. Never.
    The situation is different with official papers but then feel free and write to the author.
    Peace.
    Don't forget that English is not the primary language for a lot of people around here... including me... so I am so sorry if some words are not spelled correctly. I would love to see you write in French...
  • Crimson_
    Options
    and then ther is ****heads like me that spell stuff wrong to piss u off...
  • timadotcom
    timadotcom Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I see this all over any fitness forum.

Everyone seems to spell "lose" as "loose". Its LOSE people. It isn't difficult.

If this post can educate just one person to spell it correctly, I will be a happier man.

Peace.

And if someone could educate you on how to use the search function none of this would have been necessary.

Ouch!
  • kellyyjean
    kellyyjean Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Chillax!
    Be Happy!
    Nobody's perfect.:flowerforyou:
  • xMedullaOblongatax
    Options
    Meh, as long as I can understand what people are saying, then it's no big deal to me.
  • bpurc22
    bpurc22 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Oh, and don't forget about those people who can't use proper puncuation either!! sooo totally annoying when commas, apostrophes, and periods aren't used at all........

We don't have to learn about that stuff anymore, our smartphones do it for us! /sarc
  • andrejjorje
    andrejjorje Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    LOL. Love this.
    and then ther is ****heads like me that spell stuff wrong to piss u off...
  • Skeemer118
    Skeemer118 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    My pet peeve: You're = You are & Your = Possession

:ohwell: :grumble:
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised by how many people think they are the first person to notice this, when this thread is posted at least once a day.
  • missbis
    missbis Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Oh, and don't forget about those people who can't use proper puncuation either!! sooo totally annoying when commas, apostrophes, and periods aren't used at all........

This.
  • lind3400
    lind3400 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    yeh and american and canadian spelling is different too gray=grey, neighbour=neighbour, colour=color, yoghurt= yogurt
  • emmamcblain
    Options
    Jeez, don't loose your cool over it ;)

tumblr_lyua19tKZQ1r085d1.gif

Hahahahaha. Love it.
  • georgia98_98
    georgia98_98 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Or maybe someone could teach you Capitalization... Picky a** ppl...
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Wow, people are taking this little rant seriously...it IS posted in Chit Chat, Fun, and Games! If you want support and acceptance go to a different forum!! Now...what really gets me is people not using a dang Oxford Comma!! Come on people, that tiny little comma changes the entire sentence!!!
    Seriously though, as a teacher, it drives me crazy seeing so many adults in America not knowing how to use their own language properly. It makes us look bad...our schools already fall behind many other countries...the lack of education we put forth on websites doesn't help our image at all!
This discussion has been closed.