Sociological discussion on remaining single for a long time

Options

Replies

• toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    I've defective too, then! I've been single pretty much my whole life. Don't know what my exact "defect" is. :laugh:

I hate being single.
  • GuruOnAMountain
    GuruOnAMountain Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I was always really shy around guys and couple that along with the fact that I always kept myself really busy, I never really had time or the inclination to go out and look for anyone. I'd had the odd date with guys here and there but nothing that I wanted to pursue past the first date until I met the guy I'm now with when I was 25.

I never minded being single. As I say, I was always so busy that I didn't really have time to think about it, anyway. I was happy with myself and if anything happened to my relationship then I could easily be single and happy again. I don't need a man to define who I am and being single is great because you're completely your own boss and your time is your own but at the same time it is nice to have someone in your life, too. Both have their positives and their negatives and I could quite happily be either single or in a couple and live a fulfilling life either way.

However, I DID feel that other people judged me for being single. I had a lot of people seriously ask me if I was 'in the closet' and was that why I'd been single for my whole life. When I explained that I just didn't feel the need for a guy and would make time for one in my life if the right one came along, they would say, "Yeah, right. You can tell me if you're gay." It was a bit frustrating that people felt that I must have something that I was trying to hide because I was single. Ironically enough, I've got gay friends, so if I had been gay, I doubt I'd have cared about people knowing about it!

I think deep down as well, I was a little concerned about my long-term singlehood because I felt that perhaps because I was on the chubby side, no guy would ever want me. I think now that I've been in a relationship it has built my confidence more, though, and ironically enough, since I've been in a relationship I seem to have attracted more male attention than I ever did in the past! Lol. So I think if I ever did become single again I'd be an even happier single than I was the first time around because I wouldn't feel like I COULDN'T have a man if I wanted one.
  • littlemsmuffet
    Options
    One of the women that I knew responded that there was obviously something wrong with me because I haven't dated or been with anyone in a few years.

So, if someone has not dated in a few years or largely remains single, do you see them as defective somehow as a person?

Absolutely not. Defective by who's standards? It boils down to a judgment thing - remind me..why can people judge your actions based on their criteria for good and bad? Making public comments about someone else's private life seems defective to me, so I wouldn't take the event personally even if it was directed at you. Try to live on the "actions speak louder than words" principle. I didn't date in high school because I was defective in a lot of areas, but now I am way past high school and I have worked consistently to fill the gaps and smooth the rough edges that were keeping me down. I am still single but I'm a completely different person and have lots of friends who would say I am complete/fulfilled. I feel that way inside too. So...sometimes being single could mean you have things to get over but it could also mean your attention is focused outside of intimate relationships. Or, it could mean you're happy being single!
  • Cueball55
    Cueball55 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I've been single for coming on 4 years now..

Mostly it's been tough. I'm actually think I'm bad at relationships, so I have tried to work on myself. I would way rather be with someone special than not, for sure.

I have a career that has taken me to a little small oil field town in central alberta, where the prospects of me finding anyone who's goals and values align with mine are slim to none. So I don't think I'll be finding anyone in the next year to two years... that's kind of depressing.

Having said all that, I do enjoy my independence. being single has allowed me to follow my career goals and pretty much move whereever and whenever I want/need to for the sake of my career. I actually enjoy living alone, and I do date and try to have as much fun with that as possible.

Most of my friends here and back home wonder why I'm single, and honestly, it is because I have standards. I could likely have been in a series of poor relationships where I had settled, or been in a situation where the other was just far to reliant on me, but I am looking for someone strong and independent and healthy emotionally, mentally, and physically. Guess what? HARD TO FIND!

One day, I'm sure. But for now, I don't mind being the single guy. I can workout when I want to, eat whatever I want to when I want to, and not have any worry about someone else's needs besides my own. Selfish? I guess.... maybe that's why I'm single.
  • adavis59
    adavis59 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    After surviving an abusive relationship, I have been single for 11 years. I am NOT defective. On the contrary, I have used this time to get myself together and come close to being the fun, loving, creative and trusting person I was before this realtionship. The psychological damage done was extensive, but not irrepearable. I am now ready to meet others as who I truly am, not with the extra baggage that would have ruined a good relationship.
  • theskinnyonme
    theskinnyonme Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I dont want men coming and going from my life. I prefer to stay single because I have a example to set for my kids.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I think the best relationships come from two people who were ALREADY happy being on their own - independent, happy people. Yes, there is something to be said about the joy another person can bring to your life, but using a relationship as a solution to solving your own personal problems, filling a void, etc, often leads to unsatisfying, unfulfilling relationships that end up wasting both your time and others.

Just my two cents.

^^This. Glad I am not the only person that believes this! Or, rather, I guess what I am looking for is someone that is happy being an independent, single person with their own interests that fulfill their life, not a person. I am of the notion that I am not going to serial date to find a partner, I'm just going to let it happen, when it happens - and have fun enjoying my hobbies and other interests in the meantime! I've learned I don't want to be in a relationship, just to be in a relationship - if I am not into that person, I'm not happy, and I learned how to be happy & single instead. So, I see nothing wrong with being single for what others may think is an extended period of time.
  • littlemsmuffet
    Options
    However, I DID feel that other people judged me for being single. I had a lot of people seriously ask me if I was 'in the closet' and was that why I'd been single for my whole life. When I explained that I just didn't feel the need for a guy and would make time for one in my life if the right one came along, they would say, "Yeah, right. You can tell me if you're gay." It was a bit frustrating that people felt that I must have something that I was trying to hide because I was single.

Ok this made me laugh because it is totally my own experience, lol! I actually had a girl ask me on a date recently and I was like, "Um...I really don't feel the same way about you, sorry." I'm not gay at ALL! I just have short hair...I guess maybe that's trannie these days but it also means I can take 10-minute showers and move on with my day, so...
    :laugh:
  • Ginger4real
    Options
    Naaa you are not defective ...people who can actually find validation within themselves are pretty cool ... It takes some serious self love to have an idea of what you want in a partner and hold out for that person . I met my husband when I was 12...started hanging around crushng on him at 13 ..he asked me out just before I turned 14 ....here I am turning 33 this month and still holding on to this relationship. It's a very rocky/toxic relationship at times...but something in me is scared to death of being single...I have never gone on an actual date ...I wouldn't know how...that to me is far more defective.
  • Babrao
    Babrao Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I married the first guy I was ever "with", my first real boyfriend. I was married at 20 yrs old and decided to leave him when I was 23 yrs old due to multiple reasons but him being a critical demanding a** being the most significant of those. I was broken and damaged with very little self esteem at that point but I pushed on and met my love John at age 25, he died when I was 27 yrs old. I went through a horrible period of my life after that and basically just been back in a good place for the past year. I feel as though I actually am "damaged" but because of this "damage" that I've been through (hell and back) I believe that I have actually become such a better and happier person now than I have ever been in my whole life. I know what makes me happy, what doesn't and I enjoy the little things in life. I believe I am finally ready to find love again but I am not rushing that now because I want the best guy for me and I will wait to find him. I am about to turn 32 years old and it kind of freaks me out because I would like to have children but I have put my faith into God and know that my soulmate will find me and I will be ready for him :)
  • Ginger4real
    Options
    I married the first guy I was ever "with", my first real boyfriend. I was married at 20 yrs old and decided to leave him when I was 23 yrs old due to multiple reasons but him being a critical demanding a** being the most significant of those. I was broken and damaged with very little self esteem at that point but I pushed on and met my love John at age 25, he died when I was 27 yrs old. I went through a horrible period of my life after that and basically just been back in a good place for the past year. I feel as though I actually am "damaged" but because of this "damage" that I've been through (hell and back) I believe that I have actually become such a better and happier person now than I have ever been in my whole life. I know what makes me happy, what doesn't and I enjoy the little things in life. I believe I am finally ready to find love again but I am not rushing that now because I want the best guy for me and I will wait to find him. I am about to turn 32 years old and it kind of freaks me out because I would like to have children but I have put my faith into God and know that my soulmate will find me and I will be ready for him :)

:flowerforyou:
  • jusina
    jusina Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I rarely dated when I was in High School, then I was engaged at 17, to a man that was more than 10 years my senior. After 3 years of a very volatile relationship, I ended it. I had a few short term boyfriends over the next 3 years and then I spent the next 6 years on my own. I didn't date, hang out with, or "hook up" with anyone during that 6 years. I took that time to figure out who I was and what I want out of life and a partner. Two years ago I started dating again and ended up with a loser. It took another year or so, but I finally met the man that is my true partner. Over the years, several of my girlfriends have told me that I "need a man" or that I "need to get laid" or that I "shouldn't stay single for so long". They have all been divorced several times and/or have yet to meet a man that treats them as well as mine treats me. So you ask if the "perpetually single" are defective people... I have to say NO, we just aren't willing to settle for less than what makes us truly happy. I applaud you for being a MAN and not settling just so you can say that you're in a relationship, that isn't fair to either person.

Good luck to you! I firmly believe that we all have a "perfect match" and you will find yours, if you're willing and open to it when she comes along. :happy:
  • achief192
    Options
    I'm single, and have been for a while, but I don't view myself as defective. I don't really like being single. I'm a quiet guy and have a hard time meeting people, but that is a personality trait and not a defect.
  • jusina
    jusina Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • Shanaedunn
    Shanaedunn Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Honey I have been through it you hear me! From an abusive relationship to a man that cheated like it was part of his religion. I am now a single mother of three and for the record I was Never married. I have had more issues than a few and have been single for over 7 years. I have hated it and then I have loved it. At first I thought weight loss would cure the problem but now I know I needed to go through all this to find out who I was. The end result and I do mean end because there isnt enough computer screen to type a full life detail. Is that I wasnt who I needed to be at that time weight was not the issue but it was a factor. I was depressed and sad and consistantly hurt....But guess what I could be all that 65 pounds smaller and I hear many a person smaller than me complain more than I do.....I am still a work in progress today I am 71.6 pounds down WHOOOTT WHOOT! I am still single and not defective I am sure of who I am and I know who I am which is a better gift to offer the blessing of a man that will be given to me at the right time. Sometime single means simply working to be a better me. Plus there are factors that I look for now that I did not know would be important before. You need to care about your heatlh, diet and exercise and I want you to support mine. Wow who knew a year and a half ago that would be a factor? So good thing I was working on me huh? I dont think I sound defective......
  • GuruOnAMountain
    GuruOnAMountain Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    However, I DID feel that other people judged me for being single. I had a lot of people seriously ask me if I was 'in the closet' and was that why I'd been single for my whole life. When I explained that I just didn't feel the need for a guy and would make time for one in my life if the right one came along, they would say, "Yeah, right. You can tell me if you're gay." It was a bit frustrating that people felt that I must have something that I was trying to hide because I was single.

Ok this made me laugh because it is totally my own experience, lol! I actually had a girl ask me on a date recently and I was like, "Um...I really don't feel the same way about you, sorry." I'm not gay at ALL! I just have short hair...I guess maybe that's trannie these days but it also means I can take 10-minute showers and move on with my day, so...
    :laugh:

I've been considering getting my hair cut short so I can have 10 minute showers, too.....I guess your story has made me think that maybe that's not such a good idea for me after all! Lol.
  • ARDuBaie
    ARDuBaie Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I've been celibate for 25 years post divorce. The divorce was due to a combination of issues, including him not being able to keep his junk in his pants and I being very independent and not needing a man to take care of me. (Plus, I am not fond of double-dippers.)

I was dating a man a few years ago. In January of the one year, I was in a car accident. I didn't call him because he lived over an hour away and I was okay except for a torn muscle in my neck. Had to wear a neck brace and could not drive for long distances. So, he calls me about two weeks later and asks if I could come down for the weekend. I tell him that I had an accident and couldn't drive at the moment. He yells at me, "How am I to take care of you if you don't tell me that you are hurt?" Okay, so now I know that he wants to know these things. In February, I slipped and fell, fracturing three ribs. So I call him, because I don't want him to be upset, and tell him that I slipped and fell and fractured three ribs, but I am okay and able to take care of myself. We talked for a while and that was that. A week later, he calls me and says, "I don't think that this will work out. I need a strong woman." WTF!!! I take care of the car accident and don't call him and he gets pissed. I call him because I fractured my ribs and he dumps me because he needs a strong woman.

I sometimes think that men don't know what they really want in a woman.

I enjoy living alone because I can come and go as I please. I don't have to pick up after anyone, especially since my children have flown the coop. I cook what I want when I want and eat it where I want. Yes, I have to take out the garbage, gas up the car, and such, but, in all, I wouldn't change a thing. At least I don't have to deal with some man who can't make up his mind about what he wants in a woman.

It is not that I am defective. I am a very strong, independent, free-thinking woman. Many men are intimidated by me. I know this and think it is so funny. I currently have a guy I met at the theater last weekend chasing me. I am finding it kind of obnoxious really. I just don't want to have a relationship with some clingy and needy person. I enjoy doing things alone, have traveled and camped alone, etc. So really not interested in the ball and chain, even if it is a non-marriage relationship. I can't stand being smothered like that.

I just had a friend say that she and her husband would be interested in 'double dating' with me and this guy. She never offered to spend time with me before, but this is because society is couple oriented. I don't get upset about that, though. It is just that way. People like to be assured that there is going to be someone they know at parties, bars, etc. Marriage offers that to them. Myself, I find it fun to walk into a theater, museum, or other place alone and talk with people who are total strangers to me. Maybe it is that anonymous thing. I don't know and I never explored it all that much. I just know I like it this way.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I'm single, and have been for a while, but I don't view myself as defective. I don't really like being single. I'm a quiet guy and have a hard time meeting people, but that is a personality trait and not a defect.

this pretty much. just add the overweight part and shy around women. no game, etc etc. :laugh:
    it's getting better though...at least I'd like to think so.
  • treehugginpam
    treehugginpam Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    I could go pick someone up this weekend if I wanted just to not be alone, but I think that sucks. Also I think that people who are afraid of being alone more easily end up in bad relationships because they flock to whoever wants to give them attention and then end up with a person who is abusive and they can't get out (and then they rant that there are no good guys/women). In my 20s I did this. I don't want this now.

I get lonely. Sometimes it gets pretty bad, but I think when I compare being lonely but not stuck with being in a relationship with someone I don't want to be with... I realize that lonely wins.

I just resent people assuming that there is something wrong with me as a person because I'm not hooked up and go long stretches of time between dates.

Note: I'm not saying that my goal is to die alone, I'm saying that if I don't really connect with a woman, that I don't want to waste my time just so I'm getting some and not alone until someone better comes along. I see that happen to people all the time and I kind of feel that that is a shade evil.

I've been married, divorced, single for years at a time, and dated, and by far the lonliest I've ever felt in my life was when I was in relationships with the wrong person. You are not at all "defective" for preferring to be single rather than with someone who isn't right for you; that's a healthy outlook!

People will always find some reason to judge you. When I was single I got the pity looks. When I was married people were always asking me when I planned to have kids and when I told them that I don't want kids....woooo boy, was that ever a judgemental look! You just have to do what's right for you and realize that people's judgements stem from their own insecurities.

As for me, I am the most content I've ever been in my life and am marrying a wonderful guy in April. I never would've been with this wonderful guy if I hadn't made the decision to be single rather than be in relationships that were wrong for me. Don't listen to the haters! :smile: