no idea how to do this safely. . . .

Options
I have a love/hate relationship with food. I'm either overeating like crazy or I'm barely eating and exercising like a mad woman. It's all or nothing with me. Unfortunately, that means I've been overweight for most of my life. I lost 92 lbs 9 years ago but NOT in a safe way. I gained it all back when I got pregnant with my 2nd child. I am at my highest weight ever now. My weight will go down when I'm eating dangerously low calories and exercising like a maniac, but then my body retaliates and I end up gaining all + some. I have been reading posts on this site for a long time now and know there are many of you who have conquered the feat I'm trying to. I have about 120 lbs to lose and feel very anxious and unsure how to start. I know to some people that sounds ridiculous - but unlike all other addictions that you can stop cold-turkey, you HAVE to keep eating to stay alive. This is the toughest issue in my life I've ever dealt with. I know deep down this can't be an easy fix and I need to make changes for life. Can anyone PLEASE help me?

Replies

• KimberlyKurtz
    Options
    Your not alone! It's a daily struggle for me too. This site is a great first step! Welcome I am sure you'll do great!
  • nhoffman08
    nhoffman08 Posts: 28
    Options
    Making a lifestyle change is not an easy thing to do. It doesn't matter if you have 15 or 150 lbs to lose, change is change. The most important thing is your determination to succeed. Our minds are very powerful and only you have the power to control you and your actions. There is a healthy balance with food and exercise. It may take some time, but you will get there. Following the plan set forth on MFP will work, barring any medical conditions. It's hard, I absolutely LOVE food. I love to cook it, smell it, eat it, I even sometimes dream of what I'm making for dinner the next night. Portion control is key. I have found I can still eat out at the pizza restaurant and stay within my calorie goals. You will have to make some real changes though. It starts with simple substitutions, brown rice versus white, whole grain pasta over regular. Get a digital food scale, I found mine on ebay really cheap. What a great thing it is. I'd be happy to share recipes andother suggestions with you. Welcome and we are all here to support you in your life changing journey!
  • lagavica
    lagavica Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Remember that you are not alone, a good number of us here have the same issues, it is a matter of deciding and you are already taking the necesary steps by sharing this. Good luck and keep going.
  • Wynnie
    Wynnie Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Maybe try making a small change and getting it down, and then make another, and so on. Example - quit drinking soda and switch to water. Then pick another thing and add it... Since you've only been doing dramatic changes, see if doing small ones will help.
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to the best website ever. You will love it here, I do. This site is so helpful, supportive, motivational, easy to use, and everyone here is so nice and friendly. I just wanted to tell you that I hope you have a lot of success on your weight loss journey. You can do this. :smile: :flowerforyou: :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • Veracruz4
    Veracruz4 Posts: 22
    Options
    congrats on your success! How did you start? Thanks for your post - it's very encouraging knowing I don't have to do this alone like I always tried to in the past.

Have a great day!
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    You have already taken the biggest step by committing to change and educating yourself. Sometimes it can be really hard to accept that you need to eat to lose weight, of course you need to lose weight to live!

My biggest advice is to just start. Start eating healthy (and enough, consistently) and be as active as possible. You will see the weight come off. It will take time, so don't have unrealistic expectations, but it will happen. Also, don't just focus on the scale. Focus on how great you feel too!:flowerforyou:
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    I started by just loading the plate differently. Finding lotsa stuff that I liked that was low-cal and just filling up on that.

Here's the biggest adjustment I made,,,

Dinner before smart eating:
    Ton o' spaghetti with sauce & 3 huge meatballs
    Big slice of Garlic-butter bread
    nibble of steamed broccoli
    A little salad smothered in bleu cheese dressing

Now that's delicious and a great birthday treat if you can stand it, but if you eat like that every day the post office will assign your butt it's own zip code.

So,,,,,, dinner now:
    A modest serving of whole grain spaghetti with sauce spiked with big chunks of eggplant and browned chix breast.
    A good nibble of chewy baguette bread
    Big serving of broccoli
    Nice big salad w/lite ranch dressing on the side.

As you can see, the food's not really that different. The biggest diff is how I load the plate. The second dinner is no less tasty than the first, and quite filling and satisfying,,, and it's far far lighter - less than half the calories actually.

You'll get the hang of it. As you cook and eat and log meals you'll learn what's good and what's not and what you like and what you don't. Whatever you do - do not skip meals and sit around miserable. If you go a little over today that's fine. This isn't a sprint, it's not even a marathon, it's a permanent change to the way you eat and exercise and live. If it's miserable you won't be able to stick with it, so learn to take care of yourself in a way that works for you.

You'll get it - you'll do it - you are in control and you can do anything (and be any size) you want to be!

Welcome aboard.
  • Veracruz4
    Options
    Nhoffman - Thank you for your quick reply! Yes, portion control is definitely my downfall. I , too, enjoy food - I love baking, I love cooking and trying recipes from other countries, I also love cooking for people. I have a collection of tried and true recipes about 18" thick. I would love if it you could share some of your healthy recipes with me. Thank you for the offer! I usually double recipes so I have enough to pack for my boys and my husband and I the next day for lunch. My momentum is growing . . . :smile:
  • Veracruz4
    Options
    CasperO - Thank you! This is exactly what I'm looking for. It may seem basic to some, but I need help retraining myself. I really appreciate the effort you took to write this long email. I'll be referencing it for months to come! Congrats on your success - it must feel wonderful!
  • Veracruz4
    Options
    Hello and welcome to the best website ever. You will love it here, I do. This site is so helpful, supportive, motivational, easy to use, and everyone here is so nice and friendly. I just wanted to tell you that I hope you have a lot of success on your weight loss journey. You can do this. :smile: :flowerforyou: :smile: :flowerforyou:

Thank you! You've been very encouraging - I reallllllly appreciate all the well-wishes! :bigsmile:
  • Phera
    Phera Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Commit to measuring and logging everything you eat for a specific time frame. After you start really looking at what your eating I think you'll be surprised and then you can target what you really want to eat and what's not worth the calories. There's some web sites where you can enter your recipes and get an overall calorie count for you dishes. I highly suggest you do this for your favorites.
  • Veracruz4
    Options
    You have already taken the biggest step by committing to change and educating yourself. Sometimes it can be really hard to accept that you need to eat to lose weight, of course you need to lose weight to live!

My biggest advice is to just start. Start eating healthy (and enough, consistently) and be as active as possible. You will see the weight come off. It will take time, so don't have unrealistic expectations, but it will happen. Also, don't just focus on the scale. Focus on how great you feel too!:flowerforyou:

I totally agree - I weighed myself this morning and told myself that will be the last time for a month. I get scale-obsessive and that turns into reallllly bad eating choices. Thanks very much for your encouraging words!