what the....

Options
I've read a few articles online about spin being a waste of time if looking for weight loss. That sucks because i just started spinning and I absolutely love it. I finally found an exercise that I enjoy and one that when I am done with the session, feel like I've burned tons of calories. Of course they say, you'll initially lose a few pounds if you are obese and never exercised as with any other form of exercise, however, it is very discouraging for a new spinner such as myself to read after being so enthused with finding an exercise regimen that I enjoy. Am I really wasting my time with this?

Replies

• GemmieNoWobbles
    GemmieNoWobbles Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Why the heck would it be a waste of time? You are getting an amazing cardio workout, burning between 400 and 700 cals so why wouldnt you loser weight doing it? Where are the articles?
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I love spin and when I was at 24 hour fitness taking classes I dropped weight like crazy.. I would burn 1100+ cals per hour.
  • lsilly15
    lsilly15 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Stay with it! One of my friends dropped 20 pounds doing it!
  • cliffdc
    cliffdc Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    can you post a link to the article?
  • QueenJayJay
    QueenJayJay Posts: 1,139
    Options
    ALWAYS consider the source. What web site did you read this on?
  • latinqueencee
    latinqueencee Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I wish I knew how to post links but the name of the article is: He S.A.I.D, She S.A.I.D: Why Spinning won't make you slim... The website is Graeme Thomas Online.
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Fitness and weight loss isn't an exact science and you can find an article for practically anything. If you like spin, then spin.
  • Keefypoos
    Keefypoos Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    when you distill it all down if you use more energy than you eat you will lose weight
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Keep spinning. Mostly it's about getting the heart rate up and keeping it up. It'd probably be good to throw in some weight lifting as well so that your body is more inclined to burn fat rather than break down muscle. Do what you love!
  • penelepurr
    penelepurr Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I've also done spinning, and that sounds completely ridiculous. Spinning's one of the best workouts I've gotten doing one activity, and I love an intense workout. stay with it!!!! Maybe they were trying to hook people in by negating to say that it will act to build leg muscle, therefore resulting in your numbers not being as low because you're gaining muscle.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Fitness and weight loss isn't an exact science and you can find an article for practically anything. If you like spin, then spin.

^^This

Most things I have read list cycling as one of the top 5 calorie burners.
  • rebeccawalker1982
    rebeccawalker1982 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Well if I had a pic of my husband uncle I could prove it is not a waste of time. He used to be over 300 lbs and between ridding bike/spinning in the winter months and hiking/walking he is now about 175ish maybe less and now it is nothing for him to do 30 miles+ during bike races.
  • Kayla165
    Kayla165 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Along with a proper diet anything that gets you up off your a@# will help you to lose weight. Keep it going girl. You found something you like so stick with it and you will see results.
  • ablykins
    ablykins Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Not sure if that is a reliable source- but as an AFAA certified Group Exercise instructor, I can tell you that spin is a GREAT workout and endorsed by AFAA, ACSM, ACE, and many other credible sports training institutions. If you have found a program that you love- keep doing it!!
  • QueenJayJay
    QueenJayJay Posts: 1,139
    Options
    I wish I knew how to post links but the name of the article is: He S.A.I.D, She S.A.I.D: Why Spinning won't make you slim... The website is Graeme Thomas Online.

Ah, as in the opinion of one person, Graeme Thomas. I wouldn't put much stock in that. :smile:
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Totally disregard what you read! If you love it, do it anyway! You'll be fine! You might want to mix things up from time to time, but overall I think the article was probably crap.
  • coxy2008
    coxy2008 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    As long as you're pushing yourself, you will see improvement
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options

Yes...do what you like! Everyone loses differently. Like someone else said, "always look at the source." If it works, then it works. I am sure you will be fine. Spinning is great activity :-)
  • daryls
    daryls Posts: 260
    Options
    Yes, keep at it. We have a guy in our class who only does spinning for exercise (due to surgeries and injuries). He's lost 40 pounds in about 6 months. I think he's changed his eating habits as well.

Also, one of our teachers was written about in People magazine's 1/2 your size issue. She lost 200 pounds and I know spinning is her preferred form of cardio!