Question for the men

Options

Replies

• Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    First I would figure I had read the signs wrong and really made a fool of myself.

Second I would probably be annoyed after a while if on reflection it seemed I was just being screwed with.

Games are for kids on the playground.
  • RedHotChiliSteppers
    Options
    what kind of games we talking about too?
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    Well... it really wasn't intentional. I had my reasons for turning him down for the ride. It really had nothing to do with playing games. But I was scared that turning him down for the ride might make him think I wasn't interested or playing hard to get.

Then take the initiative and contact him to let him know you are interested,the ball is now in your court. :smile:
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    there is being hard to get and then their is being a b!t#h. however men have forgotten the gentle act of seduction. a woman needs to be wooed and pursued. they don't want to be treated like another notch in the bed post.

Sounds like more games to me. If I need a playbook and an offensive coordinator to date a woman, I'll stick to football.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of "hard to get", but for safety reasons I wouldn't have taken the ride home either, especially if you just just met him recently.

He's a friend of a friend. He helped move some furniture to my house a little over a year ago. And that is the last time I saw him before last night. My friend has talked a lot about us both back and forth. If my daughter hadn't been with me, I probably would have rode with him. But I don't want to teach my daughter to be too forward with men, or to accept rides from people she doesn't know well.
  • wannabehealthy1980
    Options
    I'd say bye and that would be it.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    I think you are all taking this out of context. This is only the second time I have really been around this individual (which still kind of makes him a stranger). Signals went back and forth all night. He offered me a ride, but it wasn't far and I had my daughter with me. I politely turned him down. I'm not trying to play games. I just didn't feel it was appropriate. I just thought he might perceive it that way.

You're fine. Don't read too much into it. You haven't "blown things" with this guy and he's not cutting up pictures of you or anything (unless he's a psycho, which he might be).

Next time you talk to him just thank him for the offer, say it was very sweet, but you had your daughter with you and it was a short walk. He'll understand if he's at all worth your time.
  • Whaleluvr
    Whaleluvr Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I didn't listen to the title, sorry! I think, if you really like the man, GO FOR IT! Don't wait around for him to ask, it will never happen......1 little ride turned down, shouldn't be a big deal! You could have said "NO" because if your mom saw you pull up in a car with a man, she might flip out!!!! Who knows the circumstances!!!! If you WANT it....................GO GET IT!!!! DON'T WAIT!! :wink:
  • Danpellizzari
    Options
    If you like the guy there's no reason to play hard to get. Keeping that in mind there's nothing wrong with taking things as slow as you want though. The relationship has to be beneficial to both people or there is no reason to stay in it.
  • timmymon
    timmymon Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I don't think turning down a ride home is necessarily playing hard to get. I like when women are independent and when they do not just throw themselves at guys simply because they think they are cute or have a crush on them or something. Making somebody try a little harder is not going to ruin anything. That being said, I hate when people play games. There is a fine line when it comes to this! I think once you ask yourself if you are playing games you probably are, go with your intuition and everything will be good!
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't "play" hard to get; you should actually BE hard to get. I believe men respect standards and enjoy pursuing women who have a lot going on because when they catch you, they know they've caught someone special, someone other men wanted, too, rather than some random chick whom no one else is chasing. That is why people say men like women who are "hard to get."

Turning down an invitation because you actually have other plans is not manipulative. Turning down an invitation because you want to screw with someone's thoughts/emotions, on the other hand, is not the best way to go about endearing yourself to that person.
  • Goldenwoof
    Goldenwoof Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I think you are all taking this out of context. This is only the second time I have really been around this individual (which still kind of makes him a stranger). Signals went back and forth all night. He offered me a ride, but it wasn't far and I had my daughter with me. I politely turned him down. I'm not trying to play games. I just didn't feel it was appropriate. I just thought he might perceive it that way.

I wasn't replying to your specific situation. Just the idea of "playing hard to get" in general. I guess I should've read your original post more clearly.

You declining the ride wasn't playing hard to get at all. At least I wouldn't take it that way. Especially since you had just met and had your daughter with you. If he felt you were playing games in that situation, I don't know that he'd be a guy you should wanna be with anyway.
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Some men play the game where they are the hunter and get a thrill out of a chase; others like the direct and honest approach; I kind of like a game of tag. Where I chase a little and she chases a little. If I dish out a compliment, I like to get one back. More often than not; hard to get turns out being interpreted as not itnerested, at least as far as I am concenred.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    there is being hard to get and then their is being a b!t#h. however men have forgotten the gentle act of seduction. a woman needs to be wooed and pursued. they don't want to be treated like another notch in the bed post.

Sounds like more games to me. If I need a playbook and an offensive coordinator to date a woman, I'll stick to football.

Untitled-1.jpg
  • dreamshadows
    dreamshadows Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I'd be turned off by a lady playing games with me, if I was looking. If they are interested in me just tell me.

I respect nice Ladies.
  • Banks01
    Banks01 Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Oh man, the attractiveness balance is a delicate thing.

Women who play hard to get (works the other way too I suppose) without displaying genuine signals of interest (coy behavior, physical clues like specific looks, playing with the hair, touching his body etc) will usually find him not responding in a way desired. Then she falls into the "why doesn't he like me/what can I do to attract him" mode. This is especially tricky due to the virtual nature of our society.

Now, men LOVE the chase and the win of connecting with a woman (doesn't mean sex, could mean anything - and I have fist pumped out loud when that happens :). There's very few rushes so powerful or impactful for a man when that happens. Any guy telling you the opposite is lying to you or to himself.

Then there's the female challenge of wanting to not seem easy sexually but wanting physical intimacy almost as much as the male(maybe some more so). We all know the sexual liberation that is common today and although it's not the 60s, we're damn close. Even then, people want genuine intimacy which is between the ears, not the legs, and is also where great orgasms come from.

This is where the balance comes in. The attractiveness to each other has to be within close tolerances. It never works (long term anyway) when one mate is more attracted to the other, usually the one with the weaker emotions drifts off or falls away completely. Hence the games people play.

In this day where people constantly say "I don't play games or I don't want someone to play games like that with me" usually find themselves doing just that or being played just like that.

Don't think so?

How many of you have received a txt, wanted to respond immediately, but chose to wait a few hours to not seem desperate or too available? That's a game.
    How many of you wanted to break the 90s "three day rule" of calling someone? Conventional approach is normally a day in this day of immediate communication and collaboration. Heck, sending a txt just a few hours later is common as well. Also a game.

We all fall into the trap of wanting to present a "cool facade" and yet want the comfort of being ourselves at the risk of alienating that person we want to attract.

It's a delicate balance.

Presenting your authentic self is the way to go. Any other approach will eventually expose that "veneer" and that relationship will crash like the last one if you keep doing the same things. (generally speaking)
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone! I told my friend that if he isn't completely turned off by me, then tell him I like him and give him my number.
  • mrFerris
    mrFerris Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Guys ... And girl ... Everyone is making some pretty huge assumptions here. We don't know what the OP means by hard to get! Saying know to a ride home that is a few minutes walk is not playing hard to get. Also, this is yet another incident that cannot be justifiably resolved because no one but the two in question were involved. If she had have said ok to the lift, would the thread be she was too easy?

Personally, I would be more concerned about a guy who is asking personal questions about another member of MFP knowing that she will be able to see the questions and responses. Not very responsible or dare I say, mature. This is something for the two people in question to talk about not MFP world! If think it is very embarrassing for the girl, and him, to have everyone discussing it. Difference being he asked for it and she didn't!
  • BetterWithAge
    Options

I would have done the same, especially if my daughter was with me. If you like him, go talk to him. :)
  • 1WorkoutAtATime
    Options
    annoying, I'm all for a challenge ,but not playing games..