How gross is tofu?

Options
12346»

Replies

• littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I actually like tofu. It doesn't have much of a flavour on its own and basically absorbs the flavour of whatever you add it to. I dice it up fairly small and put it in stir-fry and rice.
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    I have to admit, when I found out I had a soy allergy, I was secretly a little bit thrilled because it meant I would never again be goaded into eating tofu.

I have lots of vegetarian friends who were all convinced that I didn't like tofu because no one ever prepared it properly for me. No matter how much I said I didn't like it, my claims of 'I don't care for tofu' always fell on deaf ears. I do not like it stir fried, in soups, or even silken tofu turned into mousse or cheesecake. Just no!

Now I get to say 'I simply couldn't... I'm allergic'. :-)

I just hate it..
  • Verity1111
    Options
    i hate it, period.
    I second this quote.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    Read this: http://peasandthankyou.com/2011/09/21/thinking-outside-the-lunchbox-tofu-dippers/

So amazing. I cannot stop eating these.

I'm convinced all you "tofu-haters" hate it because you know it's tofu. It gets a bad rap, but if you eat with an open mind (or mouth) you will LOVE IT.

Um..no.. It is just one of the nastiest things I have ever tried. I was very excited to try it and I am a vegetarian, but the few times I tried it I just gagged and even with a second, third, or fourth try of it in each dish I could not force it down even and would need to spit it out....ew.
    Tofu is the most loathsome substance ever created by man.
    And it makes people crazy.
    Everybody I see eating it is crazy.

Throw it out now before it's too late.
    Lmso.
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    totally disgusting!!!!
  • Verity1111
    Options
    totally disgusting!!!!
    Sadly
  • danner24
    Options
    i cant do Tofu..ive tried..the whole spongy thing is just too wierd for me..lol
  • kaybelmore
    Options
    http://www.marthastewart.com/316855/barbecued-tofu

I really like this one from Martha. Generally i don't make a sandwich though, i put it on top of a salad but that's just my preference,

Ingredients

1 package (14 ounces) regular tofu, firm or extra-firm, drained
    1/2 cup barbecue sauce
    1 tablespoon pure chile powder
    Cooking spray
    4 rolls, split (optional)

Directions

Cut tofu cake horizontally (slicing parallel to work surface) into four rectangles and press.
    Cover the bottom of a small pan with half of barbecue sauce. One by one, rub both sides of each tofu rectangle with chile powder; place in a single layer on sauce. Top with remaining sauce. Let stand for 30 minutes.
    Preheat broiler with rack 6 inches from heat. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil; place a baking rack on top. Spray rack with cooking spray. Take tofu slabs out of the barbecue sauce and place on rack with space between pieces. Reserve leftover barbecue sauce. Broil until top of tofu is browned and bubbly, about 5 minutes.
    Turn tofu over and brush with reserved sauce. Broil until browned and bubbly, about 5 more minutes. Serve hot or at room temperature, on bread with coleslaw if desired.
  • fromnebraska
    fromnebraska Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    http://www.dailygarnish.com/recipes?recipe_id=6003486

Try this recipe. Lasagna with tofu instead of ricotta. Delicious!
  • Reasie26
    Reasie26 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    http://www.marthastewart.com/316855/barbecued-tofu

I really like this one from Martha. Generally i don't make a sandwich though, i put it on top of a salad but that's just my preference,

Ingredients

1 package (14 ounces) regular tofu, firm or extra-firm, drained
    1/2 cup barbecue sauce
    1 tablespoon pure chile powder
    Cooking spray
    4 rolls, split (optional)

Directions

Cut tofu cake horizontally (slicing parallel to work surface) into four rectangles and press.
    Cover the bottom of a small pan with half of barbecue sauce. One by one, rub both sides of each tofu rectangle with chile powder; place in a single layer on sauce. Top with remaining sauce. Let stand for 30 minutes.
    Preheat broiler with rack 6 inches from heat. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil; place a baking rack on top. Spray rack with cooking spray. Take tofu slabs out of the barbecue sauce and place on rack with space between pieces. Reserve leftover barbecue sauce. Broil until top of tofu is browned and bubbly, about 5 minutes.
    Turn tofu over and brush with reserved sauce. Broil until browned and bubbly, about 5 more minutes. Serve hot or at room temperature, on bread with coleslaw if desired.

Totally gonna make this!!!!!