Exercise-induced asthma

Hi everyone.

I was wondering if anyone on this site has experience with exercise-induced asthma and could maybe tell me a little about what it's like? I'm starting to think I may have it. I went for a run outside today and was frustrated by my inability to run for more than a few minutes at a time without getting out of breath, and it got worse the longer I tried. My legs were willing but my lungs couldn't keep up! I've also noticed that my heart rate skyrockets when I exercise, up to as much as 240 bpm that I've counted. However, I can run in place for forever. The longest I've gone running in place is 50 min, but I can't actually run for more than 5.
Also I tend to have a bit of a sore/scratchy throat afterwards. I stopped exercising about 20 min ago and my throat still feels odd and I cough every once in a while. I used to think this was a lung capacity issue (I have scoliosis which cuts down a little on my lung capacity) but now I'm wondering if there's more to this than that.

Please advise, thank you!

Replies

• nightangelstars
    nightangelstars Posts: 337 Member
    Hi everyone.

I was wondering if anyone on this site has experience with exercise-induced asthma and could maybe tell me a little about what it's like? I'm starting to think I may have it. I went for a run outside today and was frustrated by my inability to run for more than a few minutes at a time without getting out of breath, and it got worse the longer I tried. My legs were willing but my lungs couldn't keep up! I've also noticed that my heart rate skyrockets when I exercise, up to as much as 240 bpm that I've counted. However, I can run in place for forever. The longest I've gone running in place is 50 min, but I can't actually run for more than 5.
    Also I tend to have a bit of a sore/scratchy throat afterwards. I stopped exercising about 20 min ago and my throat still feels odd and I cough every once in a while. I used to think this was a lung capacity issue (I have scoliosis which cuts down a little on my lung capacity) but now I'm wondering if there's more to this than that.

Please advise, thank you!
  • kmia13
    kmia13 Posts: 15
    I have had that problem but mine has been from being out of shape. ;) For some reason inside with air conditioning is always easier. Also the impact of running and hitting the hard floor seems to wear me out!! Breathing could be not breathing right (out the nose and all that). But talking to your doctor might be your best bet.
  • Smilineyes
    Smilineyes Posts: 346 Member
    I was told I had exercise induced asthma when I was 14. It was during basketball try outs and we were running sprints. I'll never forget how I felt. I could not breathe and it was scary...which was weird because I had played volleyball, basketball, and track throughout middle school without any problems. Something just happened one day I guess. I had to sit out for a couple minutes and my coach told me to check with my doc about asthma. So they told me I had it. I continued to play volleyball and basketball throughout high school. No problems during volleyball. I had a sign for my coach in bball though to tell him when to take me out. I couldn't go a game without having an attack. Basically you just can't breathe. You feel like your lungs are super small and they will never get air again. I was on 2 inhalers and they didn't really help much. I went through college without a whole lot of problems...although I wasn't working out as much. Then last year I had a major attack. Got bronchitis and now they think I just have regular asthma...so they gave me more inhalers. My lungs get irritated easily because they aren't as strong since the bronchitis. You should go to the doc and check with them. From my experience, inhalers don't help much. Since I've started doing yoga I've found that I can run much longer without feeling like my lungs are being squished. I'd do some kind of relaxation/deep breathing techniques. And caffine helps too. I used to drink a pepsi before games and that helped more than my inhalers lol. Maybe it's just me though. Anyway I'm done rambling on and on...that's my story and my experience with it.

:heart: Kels
  • annhjk
    annhjk Posts: 794 Member
    Either Shape or Fitness Magazine had an article on it this month.

I think this might be the story. You could try this link

http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/fitness/category.jhtml?categoryid=/templatedata/shared/category/data/Asthma_Intro.xml
  • icupfunny2000
    icupfunny2000 Posts: 470 Member
    when my asthma kicks in i dont JUST get out of breath, i start coughing really deep like bronchitis like and i hack up all sorts of yummy flavors:sick:

j~
  • ToTheLove
    ToTheLove Posts: 357
    I've had it since I was little. I also have reactive airway disease (basically the same thing except it happens with I'm sick) Mines gotta alot better lately but i still need to use my inhaler at least once while I'm working out. It started because I would go into coughing fits when I was younger while I was running around and playing. Now it's less coughing fits (still some) and more of just a tightness in my chest. Inability to pull in a full, deep breath, and pain when I can.

I would see your doctor. The inhaler is extremely helpful.

Good look!
  • I have it, as well as issues with cold air. And I'm a bike addict. It's pretty much the way you described it, legs are willing but your chest gets nice and tight after five minutes. My doctor told me yesterday to use my rescue inhaler beforehand as a preventative... it doesn't work. Hopefully he will have something else to try when I call next week.

Edit: that five minutes happened today, and it's still just cold enough to see my breath. Normally I can go a bit further in the summer... I still have problems though. Just not this bad.
  • ariannedavis
    ariannedavis Posts: 520 Member
    I ran all through jr & high school with it before a college teammates mom said "have you ever been checked for EIA?" I said no, why? She said, "because you have it!"

I was put on albuterol (the most basic "rescue" inhaler). The key is to take it 15-20 min prior to activity for prevention. It needs time to get into your system and work. I still notice at about 15-17 min into a run I can feel my chest open up. So, even with the meds, physiologically, it takes time for the full effect.

Asthma is two-fold: constricton & swelling. So, think of your airways as a garden hose. Now, add swelling so it's twice as fat as normal, then make the opening in the middle half the width! Tadah!
    (caffeine is a natural stimulant which helps to dialate/open the airway; I used to drink a dt. mt. dew before every race and never knew I was self-medicating!)

The hacking cough is a big clue. If it's just the tightness, you may need to focus on breathing, posture, or exertion. The more humid the air, the better you will feel. That's why cold air hurts so bad, you have to humidify it on the way in, which isn't sufficient. Warm and moist is key. An asthma attack feels like running sprints while breathing through a drinking straw. You physically CAN'T get enough air.

The doctor should have you do peak flow meter tests. This involves blowing into a measurement tube at different times; including when you're sick. Most asthmatics will show a decreased peak flow before they show symptoms of the illness! Good luck!