Healthy(ish?) Birthday Cake??

Options

Replies

• AshleyLauren589
    AshleyLauren589 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    For healthy desserts, I've been going crazy for everything I'm finding at www.chocolatecoveredkatie.com. Some of her recipes are a little bizarre, but I am obsessed with her cookie dough dip! Maybe you can find something on there you can use? Good luck!
  • Mustangsally33
    Options
    Use a regular cake mix from the box but replace the oil with applesauce, comes out super moist and you can't taste the difference at all .
  • vzucco
    vzucco Posts: 229
    Options
    Chocolate Cake (from Cook Yourself Thin)

Serves 6
    Calories per serving: 315

Nonstick baking spray with flour
    3/4 cup all-purpose flour
    3/4 cup sugar
    1/2 cup cocoa powder
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup warm water
    1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
    1 large egg
    2 tablespoons canola oil
    1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
    2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
    1/4 cup heavy cream

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 6-inch round cake pan (2 inches deep) with baking spray.

2. Combine the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in the bowl of an electric mixer. Beat on low speed until well combined, about 1 minute. With mixer running on medium speed, add warm water and beat until well blended. Add buttermilk, egg, oil and vanilla, and beat on medium for 5 minutes, scraping down sides of bowl occasionally.

3. Pour batter into the prepared pan, and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 45 minutes. Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then unmold and cool completely on the rack.

4. When ready to serve, place the bittersweet chocolate in a small bowl. Heat the cream in a small saucepan set over medium heat until bubbles form around the edge. Immediately pour over chocolate. Let sit for 1 minute, then stir until smooth and well blended. Pour over cooled cake and spread to evenly coat top. (Chocolate sauce will drip down the sides.) Let set, about 10 minutes, and serve.

Chocolate and Raspberry Roulade with Raspberry Sauce (Cook Yourself Thin)
    Serves 9
    Calories per serving, roulade: 190
    Calories per serving, raspberry sauce: 26

For the roulade
    Confectioners’ sugar, for dusting the pan
    4 large eggs, separated
    1/2 cup granulated sugar
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    3 tablespoons Dutch-process cocoa powder, sifted, plus more for serving
    3/4 cup peeled and finely grated carrots
    3/4 cup self-rising flour, sifted

For the filling
    3/4 cup heavy cream
    2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar, sifted
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 cup raspberries

For the raspberry sauce
    1 1/2 cups raspberries
    1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
    1/4 cup water

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
    2. Cut a piece of parchment paper to the size of 9-x-13-inch jelly roll pan and dust with some sifted confectioners’ sugar. Set aside.

3. Take 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar and add to a bowl with egg whites, along with the salt. Using a handheld or standing mixer, whip the egg whites, gradually adding the sugar and salt until stiff peaks form, about 5 minutes. Take care not to overmix, as the egg whites will become grainy. Set aside.

4. Add the remaining granulated sugar to the egg yolks and whisk about 3 minutes, until mixture is pale and fluffy and holds a ribbon trail when you lift the blades. Add the sifted cocoa powder to the yolk/sugar mixture one tablespoon at a time, whisking it until fully incorporated before adding the next. Once all the cocoa powder is well-combined, add the grated carrots and mix well to incorporate.

5. Using a rubber spatula, fold the egg white mixture, one-third at a time, into the yolk mixture, taking care not to deflate the mix. Add the sifted flour into the mixture as you add the last third of the egg whites. Fold as before until all the elements are well-combined with no pockets of flour left.

6. Pour the batter into the center of the jelly roll pan and tilt it to spread the batter evenly all over the pan, making sure it goes all the way into the corners. Do not pat or knock on the pan, as this will deflate the batter. Bake for 10 minutes.

7. While the cake is baking, make the filling. Using a handheld or standing mixer, beat the heavy cream for about 30 seconds. Add the confectioners’ sugar and vanilla extract, and continue to beat until you get stiff peaks. Once ready, refrigerate until needed.

8. To assemble the cake, lay a clean kitchen towel on a flat, even surface and place a piece of parchment paper the size of the cake on top of the towel. Once the cake is cooked, working quickly, remove it from the oven and run a paring knife along the edges of the jelly roll pan to help unmold the cake. Take the cake from the edges and flip it onto the parchment paper set on top of the kitchen towel. Peel off the parchment paper.

9. Starting at one end of the towel, roll the cake into a cigar shape, rolling it tightly into a classic jelly roll shape. Continue rolling until the cake is rolled and tucked inside the kitchen towel. Let it stand for 15 to 20 minutes to cool and semi-set in a snail shape while you make the raspberry sauce.

10. To make the raspberry sauce: Add the raspberries, confectioners’ sugar and water to a nonstick saute pan, and cook over medium heat until the raspberries begin to break down and become liquid. Let simmer for about 5 minutes, then strain through a sieve into a small saucepan and reduce until thick and syrupy.

11. Once the cake has cooled, unroll it from the kitchen towel and remove the parchment paper. Spread the whipped cream evenly over the interior of the cake and sprinkle the raspberries. Roll the roulade snugly once again, making sure to tuck in the raspberries as you go along. It may seem like not all of them will fit, but continue to tuck the fruits in generously as you go and they will. Place the roulade on a tray or platter and sprinkle some confectioners’ sugar over it. Refrigerate until ready to serve, at least 30 minutes.

12. To serve, cut the roll into nine slices and serve with some raspberry sauce.
  • Juliette320
    Juliette320 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I've made this before and it's good.

Sunshine Cake
    16 servings, 3 Weight Watcher points per serving

1 box yellow cake mix
    1/4 cup applesauce
    4 eggs
    11 oz mandarin oranges (with juice)

frosting
    8 oz light cool whip
    3.4 oz instant vanilla pudding
    15 oz crushed pineapple (with juice)

Stir first 4 ingredients, Beat 2 minutes
    Pour in a sprayed 15x9 pan
    Bake @ 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes then cool
    mix frosting ingredients and pour on top
    keep refrigerated
  • rayleansout
    Options
    Sugar free angel food cake and add fresh berries to the top. Bam!
  • fitnessyeoja
    fitnessyeoja Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    bump
  • AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    my go to:

Sugar free angel food cake, fresh sliced strawberries, fat free coolwhip. Strawberry shortcake, the healthier way!

loving some of the other suggestions here too.
  • GingerDarlene
    Options
    You can also sub applesauce for oil
  • fittiephd
    fittiephd Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2011/05/31/deep-dish-cookie-pie/

Deep-Dish Cookie Pie

(gluten-free!)

2 cans white beans or garbanzos (chick peas) (drained and rinsed) (500g total, once drained)
    1 cup quick oats (or certified-gf quick oats)
    1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
    3 T canola oil
    2 tsp pure vanilla extract
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    2 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 and 1/2 cups brown sugar
    1 cup chocolate chips
    So easy to make:

Blend everything (except the chips) very well in a good food processor (not a blender). Mix in chips, and pour into an oiled pan (I used a 10-inch springform pan, but you can use a smaller pan if you want a really deep-dish pie.) Cook at 350F for around 35-40 minutes. Let stand at least 10 minutes before removing from the pan.

Makes ~20 slices
    Has a TON of healthy proteins because of the chickpeas
    I promise you CANNOT taste the chickpeas at all, it's amazing, no one will have any idea.

I've calculated it and it's about:
    172 calories per serving
    6g of fat (healthy fat from chickpeas!!)
    23g of sugar
    29g of carbs

For such a delicious dessert, that's an amazing list of nutrition facts!! Really good with chocolate syrup or ice cream on top, but obviously that adds to the calorie count! Good luck!!
  • IrishChik
    IrishChik Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    When I was on Weight Watchers years ago we always had a standby cake recipe

1 box cake of your choice
    1 can of diet soda - your choice

Many liked to do lemon cake with diet 7 up or a chocolate cake with diet dr pepper for that red velvet type. There are also recipes where you can substitute oils for applesauce or smashed bananas. I do this with great results.

I dont know if you are on Pinterest, but there are a ton of photos and low cal low fat style cake recipes there.
  • Aerohead21
    Aerohead21 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Pillsbury makes sugar free chocolate cake mix & icing. They also make sugar free brownies. For the non-bakers :) I quite liked them and didn't notice a flavor difference.
  • msjamartin
    Options
    Do a cupcake cake and then the portion is controlled as well. Cupcakes are all the rage right now. I've seen them where they are shaped and frosted together to look like a cake but then everyone just graps one cupcake. www.skinnytaste.com has many cupcake recipies that are great and healthy. She uses applesauce and even pumpkin with cake mixes and I've made some of these for office events. They are wonderful. You could turn her cupcakes into a full cake as well and they would be yummy.
  • amyy902
    amyy902 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    use a spread like flora light, and a no calorie sweetener like canderal in place of sugar.
  • CapsFan17
    Options
    Here's the recipe you are referring to: http://www.recapo.com/the-doctors/the-doctors-diet/the-doctors-chef-chloes-healthier-chocolate-cake-recipe/

Chef Chloe’s Chocolate Cake Recipe

3 cups flour
    ⅔ cup Cocoa Powder
    2 tsp. Baking Soda
    1 tsp. Salt
    1 ½ c. water
    1 ⅔ c. Agave
    1 c. Canola Oil
    ¼ c. Vinegar
    1 tbsp. Vanilla

1.Whisk the dry ingredients in a bowl.
    2.Add the wet ingredients and mix thoroughly.
    3.Bake for 25 minutes at 350 degrees.
    4.Enjoy your guilt-free chocolate cake.

This recipe has just 200 calories and 9 grams of fat per serving.

This sounds perfect! I'm keeping it for my birthday! Thanks for posting!
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    bump for later!!!

I had a vegan chocolate cake I cant remember the whole recipe I would have to look for it but it was soooooo yummy I baked it for my borhter since he is vegan with some chocolate home made vegan frosting. However I made that same recipe later on and instead of the chocolate frosting I got light whip cream mixed with PB2 can you say YUM!!!!
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of artificial sweeteners or cakes where the fat has been replaced with applesauce. I like a real cake! I make a lot of simple unfrosted cakes that end up being less than 200 calories per slice. A couple days ago I cut the recipe for Hershey's "Perfectly Chocolate" cake in half, used walnut oil instead of vegetable oil, almond milk instead of milk, and added 1/2 cup each of mini chocolate chips and ground walnuts. When the cake was cool I gave it a thick coat of powdered sugar and cut it into 16 slices-- the cake is so chocolatey and rich that 1/16th of a 9" round cake is immensely satisfying. When I put the ingredients into MFP each slice came to only 181 calories.
  • surimurphy
    surimurphy Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    bump
  • teenya20
    teenya20 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    okay - here were two - they are the only two cakes my kids ever want!

Crock pot - mix boxed choc cake mix, pkg sugar free chocolate pudding, 1 c applesauce, 1 c fat free sour cream, 1 c. egg beaters, 1 c water, 3/4 c chocolate chips. Stir and cook on low 6 hours or so....is like a fudgey molten lava cake. I use frozen light cool whip instead of ice cream, but light ice cream would work too!

Dreamsicle Cake (sugar free, diabetic approved) one boxed orange cake mix, made per directions (i use applesauce instead of oil and eggbeaters). Let cool in pan, poke full of holes with a fork. One pkg sugar free orange jello with 1/2 c hot water, 1/2 c cold water. Pour over cake, letting sink in. For frosting: one pkg sugar free vanilla pudding with 1 c cold skim milk. Whisk till thickened, fold in one tup of light cool whip. The cake is fabulous, we use it at all functions in the community to offer dessert to the diabetics.......except even the non-diabetics love it! lol
  • LJV1031
    LJV1031 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Almost makes me want to go ahead and bake a cake. *yum*