Probably a whole year...

Options
.....it's going to take me to get my goal weight, I've just had another thyroid test this week and it's still unsettled. I was soooo good last week and stayed the same :( BUT have done more exercise this week so hopefully (weigh in tomorrow!)

I've noticed I'm eating less and less, but I don't understand why it's not coming off faster but hey ho 2012 is going to hopefully be the year I finally get my weight off!!!

How is everyone else doing out there??? Anyone got any tips on how to get through the chocolate craving????

Replies

• chaoticrose
    Options
    HI there....Don't get discouraged....The best piece of advice I have been given on this journey is this: You didn't gain the weight overnight, over a week, or even over a year.....So it's going to take time for it to come back off....I started my journey at 291 in August 2011 and today I am now at 246. 45lbs lighter! I weigh myself daily, I know a lot of people don't like too, but I do. It helps me see the peaks and plateaus. I have hypothyroidism, but I have found that with an hour of exercise a day, 5 days a week minimum. I am able to have more energy and am consistantly losing weight. Slowly like you said. I started the new year at 259 So I have managed to lose 13lbs, averaging about 3lbs a week. I eat between 1700-1900 depending on the day. As for my chocolate craving......I turn to Fiber One Chocolate brownies....90 calories and Fiber to boot....and OMG they are delishious!!!
  • annabobbleuk
    annabobbleuk Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Those fibre one bars look yummy, but I'm in the UK :( I'm going to look into making up a recipe of something chocolately that's low cal so keep your fingers crossed lol!

Its such a pain having the problem with the thyroid, but I'm trying to work through it. I've struggled for years, but the problem with me is, I'd loose weight and then put it back on a few times but this time I want to loose it for good! I know I've left it too late, I should've done it when I was younger but hey I'm doing it now!! LOL!!

Anyways, it's nice to have people to chat on here...although can't do it on my iphone app.....

xxx
  • chaoticrose
    Options
    Do they not have Fiber one bars there in the UK? Dang, that would be a bummer....But I"m sure if you look around the store they have to have something simular. THey are usually sold here in the breakfast bar aisle at the grocery store.

I've struggle for years too, but don't let it get to you. I am now 38 years old and just now getting it. I refuse to give up and go back to where I was before I started this lifestyle change. I'm happier, I'm healthier...I'm now loving myself as I should have been from the beginning. I think the hardest part was making exercise a daily part of my life. But now it's like clock work. Monday thru Friday I go walking/ jogging on my lunch hour at work. Makes me feel so much better and I am actually loving it now. You can do it, you just can't give up.

I'm here anytime ya need to chat, though I use caloriecount.about.com more often then I do this one. I seem to like that one better.
    But again, I'm here if you need ideas, support....just let me know....
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I have underactive thyroid and had given myself a year. I started last June at 12st 7. I thought I might make it to nearer to 11st by xmas but I made it to 10st 5 I was thrilled!.. I'm at 10st now.. so 2 and half stone lost.

I wanted to be 9st something again by my next birthday in June but looks like I might make it by the end of Feb (hopefully if my TOTM doesn't play up too much.. its been a week late the last 2 months so had nearly 3 weeks of cravings, bloat and water retention instead of 1-2!) so the weight loss as slowed down this last month and I'm lucky if I lose 3-4lb in the whole month! :sad: I am 42, it could be the peri-menopause I guess or the effects of dieting and exercise for 6 months when my body wasn't used to it before. (I've been low carb/gluten free too since last august too).

I've had a break for a week and now trying to get back to it. I had read about some people with hypothyroidism having issues with wheat which is why I switched to low carb/gluten free. The first few months June-august I had only lost 3lb a month then last week of aug i started trying no white carbs at all at first and dropped half a stone in the first week, 4lb second week.. then was doing about 2 lb a week for the first few months.

I was having 2 treat meals a week but decided to go strict again to try and get another couple of pound off so I can reach my mini goal of been '9st something' for first time in about 16yrs, by the end of Feb! :happy:
  • annabobbleuk
    Options
    It's kinda nice to hear from others that have sturggled in the past now overcoming it and loosing the weight, I really want this year to be the last year I'm morbidly obese. I'm not expecting to be slim or anything like that, but I'll be happy to be a size 14-16 as I'm bordering between 18-20 and being short makes it harder.

Shakybabe - I might try giving up carbs then, I do have cereal for breakfast, sandwiches and fruit for lunch and normally for dinner pasta or meat and veggies...but i'll see what I can replace them with.

Caoticrose - I shall have a look at that website, thanks for that. I expect there is a cereal bar like it, I'm sure next I'm shopping I shall have a look. Cereal bars are so expensive at the moment for some reason aswell, so might see if I can make some!!

:wink:
  • shakybabe
    Options
    Shakybabe - I might try giving up carbs then, I do have cereal for breakfast, sandwiches and fruit for lunch and normally for dinner pasta or meat and veggies...but i'll see what I can replace them with.

It's mainly wheat that is the issue usually rather than ALL carbs... I have Rice Krispies or Oats for breakfast (just avoid wheat based ones) or sometimes just fruit, lunch is salad or soup, a few days a week I have gluten free bread/pitta bread or corn tortilla with salad in or sometimes just something like cheese on gluten free toast for a change. .. dinner is lean white meat or fish (not breadcrumbed or battered) with salad or steamed or roasted vegetables.

I still have treats.. 'mrs crimbles gluten free double choc brownies' are gorgeous! .. and today I made a little pizza using a gluten free naan bread as the base and roasted off mushroom, pepper, tomato and bit of sausage.. then piled it on top with some grated cheese. and put it under grill... I usually make sure I do exercise on these days so still have around 500 cals spare.
  • annabobbleuk
    Options
    I might give that a go, I've noticed since I've been doing this I'm needing less and less to eat and in my job I sit at a desk all day and can't really eat at my desk so lunch time is the only time I eat (unless I sneak in a banana in the kitchen :wink: )
  • shakybabe
    Options
    you know at asda and stuff they have a salad bar and you get the plastic containers to just fill with salad?.. I'm sure you can buy the containers on their own too, and just put your salad in it in morning before work or night before just don't put any dressing on it.

Leftover veg/taties from dinner could be turned into soup and taken to work next day if you got a microwave there? You don't need to cut out bread completely just don't have it everyday PLUS wheat based cereal for breakfast PLUS pasta etc with dinner. just have carbs with one of the meals and see if it helps for a few weeks?
  • annabobbleuk
    Options
    Well I only had a cup-a-soup, snack-a-jacks and 2 oranges today for lunch today so hopefully that'll help a bit :)
  • PirateJohn
    Options
    It's good that you're setting realistic goals. I know a woman who expects to go from a size 26 to a size 10 in time for her wedding less than a year away.

For people who get discouraged when they realize how long weight loss can take, I'll pass on what a personal trainer once said to me -- it took you years to put *on* the weight, so it will take a while to come off, too.
  • annabobbleuk
    Options
    Wow....how the hell can you do that in a year?? Well hopefully she'll loose lots of weight, but that (depending on her height) sounds at least 6 stone! Good luck to her!

I know what I'm capable of now, and i'll be happy if I get 3 stone off this year :)