mfp weight calculator

Options
does anyone know how accurate mfp is at working out ur calorie loss to the time of exercise u have done and machine u have used

Replies

• witchywillow
    witchywillow Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    ment to title it calorie calculator sorry :grumble:
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    does anyone know how accurate mfp is at working out ur calorie loss to the time of exercise u have done and machine u have used

15348747.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

I think it just uses an average, and is not specific to each person's weight profile, so you would be better using something more accurate.
  • ckdub428
    ckdub428 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I find it over estimates. Everyone is going to tell you that the only acurate way of knowing is to get a Heart Rate Monitor (HRM) Hope that helps!!
  • Browny43
    Browny43 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I go by how many calories I burned. If i burned for example 345 calories of 30 minutes on the eliptical I use that. If I enter 30 mins according to mfp it will give me a higher number of calories burned so I lower the number of minutes. hope that makes sense
  • JennATC
    Options
    I use a heart rate monitor to be more accurate, I agree that the MFP calculators seems to over estimate. I got the Polar FT4 HRM and I love it!
  • cppeace
    cppeace Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    yeah for most it seems to over calculate. A hrm is the best shot at being pretty accurate. If using mfp Id divide it by atleast a third. A few folks I know though said they burned way more so its such an invidual thing.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options

15348747.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

I think it just uses an average, and is not specific to each person's weight profile, so you would be better using something more accurate.

Yes, it is specific to each person's weight profile, because MFP does have your weight in the database.
  • pwillini84
    Options
    For me, MFP gave me too much credit for the amount I worked. I bought a Sigma PC-15 HRM off Ebay for $30 and found today that, while MFP overestimated, the machines I was using underestimated the calorie burn (although all machines had age / weight input prior to use). The trainer at the fitness center said that all tracking should be done using a HRM over any results calculated by a machine or fitness program.
  • witchywillow
    witchywillow Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    thankyou for all ur comments,

found a hrm that is reasonable price might just have to get it then :happy: