Losing weight to prepare for pregnancy

Options
hey everyone! I am new here, 27 with weight loss goal of 80 lbs. My husband and i would like to conceive this year but i need to get my weight under control first. Anyone in the same shoes? Looking for additional motivation and support.

Replies

• runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I'm losing weight to eventually get pregnant, but I've got another three years to lose 38lbs so I'm not quite on the tight deadline you are. Still, feel free to add me if you'd like. :smile:
  • Tami113
    Tami113 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Thanks cherylpj! I graduate with my bachelors in may and want to have children so bad. I have the baby itch for sure! Looks like you are doing well towards your goal. I just started and look forward to baby making time. Nice to know others are out there that want to lose weight for babies too!
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    :smile:

Been doing this for quite a bit over a year now, but my future kids were my inspiration to start a healthy lifestyle in the first place. I've always had a very strong maternal instinct, and I do a lot of child welfare and child charity work at the moment which keeps me from feeling TOO desperate for a family, but I'm also reminding myself that I have a few years left to live entirely for me and to just enjoy time with my fiance before and after our wedding - not going to wish these next few years of fun away before I get pregnant!
  • Tami113
    Options
    I hear ya'! We have been married 1 year, together for 4. We always wanted children but both of us were in school. Now i am finishing up and i don't want to start a career and then have to take time off to raise my children. I want to stay home for the first years and then go into a career. My biological clock has been ticking ever since i met my husband. I really want to get my weight down to ensure healthy, successful pregnancies. Children are my biggest motivation.
  • PrincessLou71186
    PrincessLou71186 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have been TTC since July 2008 and with the disappointment every month I gained a lot of lbs and I am know working an losing them and a few extra.

If you are after friends with similar goals then add me.

I am 25 and hubby is 27 in four weeks. We have been together 7 years in May and married 3 years gone November.
  • terihaddad
    terihaddad Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat, but am currently TTC...I just think it probably won't happen until I lose some weight! Eventually, I'd like to be 90 down from where I am now, but I'd be thrilled if I can lose 30 before I conceive! We've been trying for 4 months, so I'm hoping I can get back on track asap!
  • Brittypop
    Options
    I'm in the exact same spot as you! Let's all support each other. :smile:
  • MommyofLily
    MommyofLily Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I lost weight for my wedding and got my body in pretty good shape... which led to a very easy time getting pregnant (2 weeks after the wedding... oops). Best thing to ever happen to me, but I was not done losing weight when I got pregnant. I had a mostly healthy pregnancy, but had some trouble with mild pre-eclampsia at the end which I think was mostly because of my weight. I want to start trying to get pregnant again in about a year when my daughter is 1 and 1/2 ish. I need to lose about 50 lbs or more to feel ready to take that on again. Anyway... feel free to add me too, as I am in the same boat (but already have one baby).
  • lucybell333
    Options
    I lost 70lbs in preparation for my second pregnancy, and got pregnant within a month of getting to goal! I definitely had a much easier pregnancy the second time around. I'm sure this was not all down to the weight loss (subsequent pregnancies generally being easier than the first), but I am certain that the complete lack of fluid retention compared with having to spend the final two months with my legs elevated the first time round was due to having been a much healthier weight!

Good luck!
  • ahinescapron
    ahinescapron Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    We already have two kids. Our second came after many, many months of disappointment followed by six months of fertility treatments. I am trying to lose the 30 pounds I gained from that and a little more, to prepare for trying for a third and final baby next year. Not exactly the same situation, but feel free to add me if you like.
  • Miss_dannii
    Miss_dannii Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Princess Lou my story is much the same as yours, 10 years together, we are 25, TTC since March 2009, conceived in April 09 and lost the baby, Since then have not been able to conceive. I have been taking Clomid and we are both taking all the vitamins under the sun, eating well. This year is the year of the baby for sure, it has to be.

xx
  • ashquin
    ashquin Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    i have to say i think that is great! i have 3 kids my youngest 7 months. with my first i was in ok health and shape and it took me 9 months to get preggers with him. i gained allot of weight with him and didnt take it all off after. so when i got pregnant with my second i had extra weight . after i had her i knew i wanted 1 more eventually. i got my but in gear and dieted and religously worked out and lost over 35 pounds. I was in the best shape and health i think i ever have been. when we decided to try for number 3 i got pregnant on the first try. I swear i owe it to being in great health and shape. so keep it up ! its worth it in the end :)
  • JT1090
    JT1090 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'm 20 and have been married for 2 years. Part of this lifestyle change is to lose weight for our future pregnancy. I don't want to get pregnant when I'm in the 170's and then be 200's after the baby! This happened to my mom, aunt, cousin, and gma with their pregnancies and I'm determined to break the cycle.

Like the other user said. I'm not having kids for a couple of years but you can add me if you'd like :smile:
  • punkin79314
    Options
    I am right there with you! We will be TTC later on this year, (I miscarried in Dec), I am trying to lose around the same amount as you are! Feel free to add me as a friend if you like!
  • Tami113
    Options
    Stressing out is what is worrying me. I stress eat and that has to stop. Let's be eachother's motivation. I get really bummed and i just want potato chips and french fries. Now i think about my future babies and i put the junk down. I am a vegetarian and so i eat a lot of fruits and veggies (hard to believe there is an overweight vegetarian) but i am one, my downside is potatoes, i love them all!! Chips, mashed, au gratin, fench fries, baked, you name it. I have decided that they do not taste as good as my desire to have children. My mother had 3 kids and then a hysterectomy and my sister is having issues with conception as well. So there is family history of problems and i am doing everything i can to avoid them, including losing 80 lbs. Ood luck to all of us, and let's do this!!!
  • MissSaraSunshine
    Options
    My husband is serving overseas right now, and in 8 months he will be home! I would like to lose 70 pounds so that when he returns we can start a family! :)
  • Sabineslims
    Options
    Yes!!
    Besides wanting to be healthy for my future child, I also never wanted to be bigger than what I was. I was hoping to top out at my starting weight of my weight loss :)
    I can't imagine having the energy & being the best 'me' at a higher weight.
    I've been married for 5 years now. My husband is 9 years older than I, and he has the baby itch! :) I'm excited to start a family but it was important to both of us to have a solid marriage before baby talk. We always said after 5-10 years of being married, we'd start trying. He wants to start now but I'd like to wait another year (we're currently living in Spain and I want to be back in the US to make it easier for family support).
  • Sabineslims
    Options
    Oh, and I just have 15 more pounds to go! So close :) It'll be a 30 pound loss total. I've heard a healthy pregnancy is 25-30 pound gain....
  • Tami113
    Options
    This is awesome! I started this topic never thinking that there would be so many others in the same boat! I wish everyone the best of luck. Let us keep eachother motivated for the sake of our children! Should we start a group? This is too exciting! I don't have any girlfriends that are in the same shoes as me at this point in my life so it is great to have support form you ladies!
  • 1SassyCox
    Options
    I've been married since June 2011. I'm 29 and my husband is 34. We have no children but hope to change that this year. I've lost a little over 30 pounds since June 13, 2011. We are now TTC. January was the first month I was off the pill - which I've been on for 17 years. I want to get my body in the best shape I can before becoming pregnant and gaining the baby weight. And I am determinded to have a healthy pregnancy (at least the parts I can control). I'd like to lose about 13 more pounds to get down to 140 and then start maintaining while we try to conceive. I'd love to be pregnant by the fall of this year!