Free weights vs. Weight Machines

Options
So, I am pretty new to strength training, and for many months at home have been using 5 lb weights to do some "strength training". I recently started going to the gym and using the weight machines. I notice that I can use more weight when doing this (for arms, 20-30 lbs... Legs/Abs, 50-70).

Is one more effective than the other? And does anyone have any recommendations of how many reps I should be doing of each exercise? (Not looking to get big muscles or anything... just to tone and burn some fat).

Thanks in advance!!

Replies

• addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    This is too broad of a subject, either do some research, or give us more information.
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    One isn't exactly better than the other, just different. Free weights generally seem harder because more muscle groups are recruited to maintain balance during a lift (and changing weights can be a huge pain.) With a machines more energy can be utilized for the lift because it isn't needed for stability, but then you lose the benifit of greater balance. I really think it depends on which you more enjoy.
    Or you could do both.

To your second question, New Rules of Lifting for Women seems to be popular. I believe there is a New Rules group here.
  • dmouse0225
    Options
    One isn't exactly better than the other, just different. Free weights generally seem harder because more muscle groups are recruited to maintain balance during a lift (and changing weights can be a huge pain.) With a machines more energy can be utilized for the lift because it isn't needed for stability, but then you lose the benifit of greater balance. I really think it depends on which you more enjoy.
    Or you could do both.

To your second question, New Rules of Lifting for Women seems to be popular. I believe there is a New Rules group here.

Thank you! I will check that out!
  • cooter2533
    Options
    Both have their benefits, free weights a probably "better". I do s combo of both. Prolly 60-70% free weights and 30% machines. Shoot for 6-10 reps 2-4 sets