Congratulations McDonald's!

Options
In a pinch.. I grabbed McDonalds on lunch at work. (GASP FAST FOOD?!)
I get the happy meal.. and it now comes with apples AND fries.

Open the bag, and the fries are the same amount as before (just guessing by how many were stuffed in the little bag)
But the apples now have a whopping.........4 slices. Four?!

YES I do get the kids fast food when I am in a hurry, on the run. (Don't turn this into a fast food debate..plskthx) But, seriously.. 4 mother effin slices of apple?

Replies

• lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    The apples vary...I once got my son a happy meal and found 3 slices.
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options

That's sad. At least when you are out, you should have something semi-healthy to chose from for the kiddos.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    You know. I tried to do the kid's meals but they just weren't enough food for me.
  • lukeout007
    Options

That's sad. At least when you are out, you should have something semi-healthy to chose from for the kiddos.

Well..yeah...though I find that most places other than mcdonalds have chicken strips or even grilled chicken which he likes. Subway is rather healthy and sells bags of apple slices that each have like 6 or 8 slices in them. So it works out. We rarely do McD's anymore. The only thing I will eat there is a filet o' fish with no tartar...which is low cal (though doubtful that its nutritious at all)
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Sad, sad indeed.

Also sad is that fries are much cheaper than apples. :grumble: :grumble: :grumble:

Until people start demanding the government to make healthier food accessible to everyone, restaurants and such are not able to afford the healthier options without majorly increasing prices themselves.
  • lukeout007
    Options
    Sad, sad indeed.

Also sad is that fries are much cheaper than apples. :grumble: :grumble: :grumble:

Until people start demanding the government to make healthier food accessible to everyone, restaurants and such are not able to afford the healthier options without majorly increasing prices themselves.

While I do agree that there are less healthy and cheap options than there should be...I don't think its impossible. Simply offering grilled chicken, a fish sandwich that isn't fried, apples, baby carrots, hummus, unsweetened iced tea, side salads with low fat & low cal dressing, etc. would not be any more expensive for a restaurant than any other type of food and yet most places don't offer these things. I am sort of appalled at how many fast food places don't offer unsweetened iced tea. Especially with the mark up...Selling them for $2 a pop when they probably cost $0.08 each is pretty amazing to me.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    Sad, sad indeed.

While I do agree that there are less healthy and cheap options than there should be...I don't think its impossible. Simply offering grilled chicken, a fish sandwich that isn't fried, apples, baby carrots, hummus, unsweetened iced tea, side salads with low fat & low cal dressing, etc. would not be any more expensive for a restaurant than any other type of food and yet most places don't offer these things. I am sort of appalled at how many fast food places don't offer unsweetened iced tea. Especially with the mark up...Selling them for $2 a pop when they probably cost $0.08 each is pretty amazing to me.

It is nearly impossible to offer the healthier options at the same prices they are offering for the breaded, fried and less quality hamburger...........

Grilled chicken is offered at most fast food and other restaurants. However, hummus, baby carrots, other fresh vegetables are way more expensive to purchase than flash fried and frozen french fries, cheap quality hamburger,etc.

The fact that fresh vegetables and fruits are more expensive is a deterring factor.

I have never been to a restaurant, fast food or otherwise that doesn't offer unsweetened ice tea.

The only thing I get from Mc Donalds these days is Black coffee and unsweetened ice tea. And on Monday's, both are free.....
  • lukeout007
    Options
    I have never been to a restaurant, fast food or otherwise that doesn't offer unsweetened ice tea.

Arby's and Taco Time (I think taco time is a Washington thing). Neither offer unsweetened iced tea. Only that raspberry Lipton brisk crap.
  • Cheri1218
    Cheri1218 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    You can request "just apples" in the happy meals and you"ll get two bags of apples. Before you had to choose, now you get both but they are half the size they were.
  • susanb573
    susanb573 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I got a cheeseburger happy meal on sat and it had a tiny little thing of fries and probably 5 apple slices. It was still 435 calories for the meal (300 for cheeseburger, 100 for the minifries, 35 for the apples, I drank water). It just makes you wonder what they put into it to make it so high in calories.
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    Can you supersize to a whole apple?
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options

Arby's and Taco Time (I think taco time is a Washington thing). Neither offer unsweetened iced tea. Only that raspberry Lipton brisk crap.

Ok, I am in the Midwest (St Louis area) and I haven't eaten at an Arby's in probably 10 years and I have never heard of Taco Time.

I am fortunate then to be able to run through any drive through and get a fresh brewed unsweetened iced tea. Even though I feel Mc Donald's have some of the best tea and coffee for drive through's..............

Even when I lived in Virginia I almost always got unsweetened iced tea. That is like my favorite drink besides black coffee.
  • lukeout007
    Options

Ok, I am in the Midwest (St Louis area) and I haven't eaten at an Arby's in probably 10 years and I have never heard of Taco Time.

Yeah Taco Time is a NW thing I believe...it's like Taco Bell but made with actual food. :D

I love Arby's and can usually find something relatively low cal...but the tea thing drives me nuts.
  • rtaddlowe
    Options

Like!
  • ckapes
    ckapes Posts: 31
    Options
    Taco Bell has their Fresco line of Tacos, which is a lot less calories then a burger. You can get their Fresco soft chicken Taco for 150 Calories. Two of them and I am satisfied with my fast food fix:-) Only wish they carried unsweet ice tea. One of the few places that doesn't.
  • lukeout007
    Options
    Taco Bell has their Fresco line of Tacos, which is a lot less calories then a burger. You can get their Fresco soft chicken Taco for 150 Calories. Two of them and I am satisfied with my fast food fix:-) Only wish they carried unsweet ice tea. One of the few places that doesn't.

Ah I forgot about that...it's been awhile since I've been but they don't carry unsweetened either.

I'm pretty sure the "Fresco" line isn't available here in WA...or maybe I just never noticed it...
  • izzydino
    izzydino Posts: 254 Member
    Options

This!
    Love it!
  • feb06momma
    Options
    I was kind of annoyed that they added the fries AND apples to the happy meals. For a long time, my daughter didn't even know that fries were an option, i just ordered apples. When she realized french fries were a choice, she still mostly chose apples. McDonald's...please do not FORCE fries on my little girl! With that said....we've been eating fast food a LOT less,so yay us. :)
  • Jeneanhh
    Jeneanhh Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Taco Time is in Idaho too.
  • Jessika616
    Options
    My daughter loves fries for some reason. So I like the half and half. But she only gets it as a special treat. For the most part I ask for double apples and no fries. They will give you two things of apples instead. I have had no issue with that. This has been going on for awhile now since my city is always a test city for foods. Sigh.