How much is cost of living in your area?

Options

Replies

• ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    You Londoners are mental.

London is a horrible place and drastically over priced.

I agree wholeheartedly. I don't want to be here, believe me. I'm in the process of finding work in Norway, after having spent a year (500+ applications) applying for jobs here that would net me enough to move out.
  • Redapplecandie
    Redapplecandie Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    We live paycheck to paycheck, putting as much as we can into a savings account.

730/month for a tiny 2 bedroom apt. It does include utilities though, a blessing. Neighbors aren't that great though. We both have student loans to pay. We did however both pay cash for our vehicles. Granted, they were both less than 2k each.
    I make 13.75/hr and fiancee makes about 12/hr and we get screwed over so bad in taxes its not even funny. But thats NY state for you.
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Central Texas. 640 sq ft. apartment for $720/month.
  • SoulNeedsBeauty
    SoulNeedsBeauty Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Chicago, IL Its expensive around here, especially in downtown. My one bedroom apartment is 1400 alone. plus 200 a month for parking garage( which is actually pretty chap, avg price is about 350). Food is crazy, but i shop whenever i'm in suburbs, so you are lucky! im jealous, except for the location hehe
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I live in one of the most expensive cities in the United States. Our small rowhouse cost close to $800k and I think we got an incredibly good deal for it. :)
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Chicago, IL Its expensive around here, especially in downtown. My one bedroom apartment is 1400 alone. plus 200 a month for parking garage( which is actually pretty chap, avg price is about 350). Food is crazy, but i shop whenever i'm in suburbs, so you are lucky! im jealous, except for the location hehe

A senior person at my partner's firm has been flying back and forth from Chicago and wants to move here, but is reluctant because of the cost of living difference. Now I see why! You don't see many one bedrooms going for 1400 inside the Beltway.
  • JanetLM73
    JanetLM73 Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I live in Ontario, Canada.....we are taxed to death.
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    The area where i live is quite diverse. Houses range from $120,000 to 5 million, within 6 block radius. Tourist town, all about the fishing. Most of use commute, a minimum of 45 min each way, we live paycheck to paycheck, and have been digging out of debt forever. In order to make home repairs, using the line of credit, we now owe more on the house than we paid for it, 10 years ago. Pfffft.
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    Cost of living in my area is awesome. We both net under 30,000k a year and all my income actually pays for school tuition.

I live on campus in a private 2 bedroom, 700 square foot new apartment with all appliances included save for the microwave. We pay $720 a month. We get free cable and internet which is hard to beat. Also water and trash is included. The gas and electric is not but that we do pretty well on keeping it below $100 a month.

We also have cellphones with everything on them including monthly payments on the cell phones for $100 a month.

2 gaming subscriptions for $30 a month.

We pay $450 approx a month for groceries.

We also have car insurance and $300 a year parking.

A gym membership approx $25 a month.

Student loans are being paid plus a credit card.

We also have money in the bank for savings. So it's not at all bad. I don't feel like I'm suffering at all or missing out. You just have to be moderate in everything you do and be smart about your money.

Boise is amazing, you can live downtown and really enjoy affordable living at the same time.
  • JBennis1013
    JBennis1013 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Bergen county, nj where you get nothing more than a shoe box for $1000
  • harleygirlT
    harleygirlT Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Stay away from California, no jobs and cost of living is thru the roof!
  • airlily
    airlily Posts: 212 Member
    Options
  • airlily
    airlily Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Stay away from California, no jobs and cost of living is thru the roof!

This. :D
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    My house is $1926.00 and my motorhome is $536.26 and I get 1159.00 month husband passed, lost job will lose house, and live in Motorhome I am very fortunate that I have that option Oh Southern Calif
  • LATeagno
    LATeagno Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I'm in a Cleveland suburb. We're renting right now; a 1,100 sq. ft. house with four small bedrooms for $1150 per month, plus gas (budget is $130/mo), electric (budget is $125/mo), water/sewer ($110 every three months) and internet ($90 a month). Our cellphones (three lines) are $180 per month unlimited. We also have car insurance ($100 a month for two cars), health insurance (we buy it ourselves for $3600/year) and two car payments, which are $160 and $260 each.

We spend about $120 per week in groceries on average.
  • Perswaysion
    Perswaysion Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    9 years of living in Navy towns (dh is prior) we knew ,when he was getting close to his time being up,that we wanted close to our parents and low Col. We ended up in central Arkansas. We waited to have kids. He joined the navy to get his education instead of lots of school loans and we still have periods that it's paycheck to paycheck but we were supporting his dad for awhile who had a heart attack and a stroke. So things are better recently.

Average cost of living here in our town (blue collared, large college, couple large plants but nothing else) is 42k. We bought our house 2 years ago but we had a rental when we first relocated. 1100 a month with partial utilites and 1800 sq. We paid 172k for for our house 2500 sq feet and 3 acres. After all the years out east and overseas I love the COL here. Just wish they had a mall lol.
  • cheyenne_alexis
    cheyenne_alexis Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I live on the Jersey Shore in Obviously..:tongue: New Jersey , and it is NOT CHEAP! :explode: Me and my boyfriend of 3 years were just looking for apartments, and an 1 bedroom in a decent living/low income area is $850, luckly including utlites, just need to pay thr electric and cable.. and its the cheapest in 2 out of many apartment complexes..Also, Im lucky enough to have a community college right down the street from me where tuition for 1 semester is $2,750.. I want to cry lol I didnt want any student loans whatsoever, but I had no choice and NEEDED to go to school, :ohwell: in hopes of finding a good job when i graduate.. Gas right now here is $3.33-$3.39 depending at which gas station you buy at.:explode: where it was just $2.99 maybe a month ago!

Me and my boyfriend always joke about moving away but its just so hard with school ! :ohwell:
  • CrystalFlury
    CrystalFlury Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    North Texas
    Decent apartment (1 bedroom/1 bath): $700-900 a month rent (just rent)
    Avg. salary varies, maybe 40-50K a year and up
    Gas right now is running $3.28 per gallon
    Luckily, for my boyfriend and me, no car payments although he does have student loans to pay off soon ($20k or so in debt for 3 years worth of college at a small school)
  • CrystalFlury
    CrystalFlury Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    2 gaming subscriptions for $30 a month.

Star Wars Online?!