Got any top tips for women lifting weights?

Options
13»

Replies

• Luthorcrow
    Options
    Why would you say never do exercises just for the triceps? Saying they'll get all the work they need from other lifts is like saying you shouldn't do abs because you use them every day. I do crazy tricep work because they are incredibly important in the bench using gear. When in doubt, do more triceps! For the average girl, okay maybe they aren't a big deal. But saying not to do them is
    amateur!
    No it is not at all the same. Yes, your core is involved and gets work from squats, etc. but triceps are directly involved in many lifts including bench press, overhead press, all row variations, chin-ups, etc. Hey, if you want to do them knock yourself out but it just a much a waste of time as arm curls. Leave isolation exercises to body builders and vain amateurs.
    My trainer has me doing lots of tricep work, has really helped me reduce the "bat wings". As for not using machines- its like any tool- use them correctly with good form and challenging weight.
    Losing your bats wings probably has more to do with fat loss. You would have developed the same or better triceps doing overhead presses, bench presses, barbell rows, etc.

Yes, machines are just another tool but unless you have a specific injury that requires one, they are an inferior tool. Outside of cable machines, most strength machines are inferior to the equivalent free weight or body weight exercise because they isolate the muscle worked on a linear path. The result is your supporting stabilizing muscles get little to no work. Your are almost always better off not using them. Keep in mind 90% of the strength machines are holders overs from the fitness trends of the 70s. To the uninitiated machines look less intimidating and safer. People tend to over trust technology over sweat and effort.
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    but triceps are directly involved in many lifts including bench press, overhead press, all row variations, chin-ups, etc

Your knowledge of human physiology is laughable.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Why would you say never do exercises just for the triceps? Saying they'll get all the work they need from other lifts is like saying you shouldn't do abs because you use them every day. I do crazy tricep work because they are incredibly important in the bench using gear. When in doubt, do more triceps! For the average girl, okay maybe they aren't a big deal. But saying not to do them is
    amateur!
    No it is not at all the same. Yes, your core is involved and gets work from squats, etc. but triceps are directly involved in many lifts including bench press, overhead press, all row variations, chin-ups, etc. Hey, if you want to do them knock yourself out but it just a much a waste of time as arm curls. Leave isolation exercises to body builders and vain amateurs.
    My trainer has me doing lots of tricep work, has really helped me reduce the "bat wings". As for not using machines- its like any tool- use them correctly with good form and challenging weight.
    Losing your bats wings probably has more to do with fat loss. You would have developed the same or better triceps doing overhead presses, bench presses, barbell rows, etc.

Yes, machines are just another tool but unless you have a specific injury that requires one, they are an inferior tool. Outside of cable machines, most strength machines are inferior to the equivalent free weight or body weight exercise because they isolate the muscle worked on a linear path. The result is your supporting stabilizing muscles get little to no work. Your are almost always better off not using them. Keep in mind 90% of the strength machines are holders overs from the fitness trends of the 70s. To the uninitiated machines look less intimidating and safer. People tend to over trust technology over sweat and effort.

I wouldn't do triceps exercises either if I thought EVERY arm movement utilized them...heehee...
  • Luthorcrow
    Options
    but triceps are directly involved in many lifts including bench press, overhead press, all row variations, chin-ups, etc

If pumping your ego on internet forums gets your e-penis hard good for you but don't expect me to take you seriously.
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options

If pumping your ego on internet forums gets your e-penis hard good for you but don't expect me to take you seriously.

:laugh:

E-Penis
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    *points at the search button* (or just look a few topics down, there's bound to be at least 2 similar threads as 5 or more similar threads get posted daily)

Anyways here's the short answers:

- You won't bulk (women don't produce enough testosterone)
    - You're lifting too light, you should be lifting as much as you can up to 8 reps (barely getting 8 reps with good form)
    - Concentrate on Olympic Lifts (bench press, military press, squats, deadlifts)
    - Form, form, and form.
    - New Rules of Lifting For Women and Starting Strength are two books you should read
    - Websites, such as www.bodybuilding.com have routines for beginners with videos on how to complete each exercise

This is good advice... if you are just starting out you can do up to 12 reps cos you will gain strength when starting out no matter what. But after that 4-6 reps is best. :)
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    I am in training to become a Personal Trainer and was told that you need to do use each major muscle group the same amount of times. I.e. you do 3 abs exercises, you do 3 arms exercises, you do 3 upper back exercises, etc.
  • machinegunkate
    machinegunkate Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    boomp.
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    Im going on week 6 of Jamie Easons 12 week trainer on bodybuilding.com. It has been TOUGH, I mean really really TOUGH! Im lifting more weight than I ever have before, more reps then I ever have and guess what!!! I CAN SEE MY BODY CHANGING! Seriously! My arms are getting crazy definition, my legs and butt are toning up and getting beautiful lines, my stomach is shrinking. Its a TON of work, but it works--- and--- ITS FREE! There are a bunch of us in a group on here doing it if you search groups for it.
    Hubby and I started this eight weeks ago as he wanted us to lift weights together and I wanted a "girly" workout. Yeah, right! It is awesome. Got my sister into now too and we are steady going. I LOVE IT!!! Am now able to do chin ups, dips with no assist and just my body weight. Haven't lost a lb, actually gained 5, but pants are loser so can't complain. Also switched from running to stair climber and noticed a huge difference in the supplement of this type of cardio.
  • SmashleeWpg
    SmashleeWpg Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Im going on week 6 of Jamie Easons 12 week trainer on bodybuilding.com. It has been TOUGH, I mean really really TOUGH! Im lifting more weight than I ever have before, more reps then I ever have and guess what!!! I CAN SEE MY BODY CHANGING! Seriously! My arms are getting crazy definition, my legs and butt are toning up and getting beautiful lines, my stomach is shrinking. Its a TON of work, but it works--- and--- ITS FREE! There are a bunch of us in a group on here doing it if you search groups for it.

LOVE to hear this, and I suggested this to OP as well. I just started the program and know it's going to be a perfect fit since I'd rather lift than do cardio any day. But it's always motivating to hear from someone who is well into a program and loving the results! AWESOME :)