Dr. Oz show

Options

Replies

• solpwr
    solpwr Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    He's incredibly credible. Him and Jiiilan. They should work together. Wait, what?
  • cpiton
    cpiton Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Wow, I had no idea there were so many on MFP that dislike Dr. Oz. I've always kind of liked his show - I only catch it on occassion, but it always draws my interest. I will watch it next time with one eye open, one eye shut.

I like his show, too. He's got a fun personality and he does give out a lot of good information, but you can't take everything you see on the show as fact.
    That said, I seriously doubt it is possible to lose thigh fat with any particular supplement or food. I've never seen any scientific study to support that idea. But I am willing to listen to anyone who can prove me wrong! :)
    It would be nice to take a magic pill and sleep my fat away...

4466044.png
  • hexrei
    hexrei Posts: 163
    Options
    Does anyone watch Dr. Oz? Today's show was really informative. I'm going to try the raspberry ketones, and maybe the white kidney bean extract for my thunder thighs......

There is no magical food item that will solve your problems. calories in vs calories out. generally limiting carbs makes limiting calories easier. ensure that you are getting enough protein, fats and vitamins in whatever diet you choose. get an exercise plan, stick to your diet and exercise, and wait for time to pass. the rest takes care of itself.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    He's incredibly credible. Him and Jiiilan. They should work together. Wait, what?

Win, tbh XD

I like Jillian on the early BL...but she has totally sold out imo.
  • choccay
    Options
    If you like it, watch it, but be extremely skeptical about the claims made. Before taking any of the advice on the show, make sure you do your research and ensure it's backed up by good scientific evidence. That goes for any health claim. But I'm particularly weary of Dr Oz because he does promote a lot of crap as fact.
  • shanahan_09
    shanahan_09 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I'm always amused by the skeptics and haters on posts such as this. Everyone is entitled to their opinion of course, BUT, the thing is though, those who are skeptics of Dr Oz and things like supplements (raspberry ketones...etc etc) are the ones who SUPPLEMENT themselves. Go figure! :tongue:
    Personally, I don't mind Dr Oz.. Of the shows I have watched, he has valid info for nutrition. He suggests food for healing instead of going for prescribed alternatives. Nothing wrong with that. Isn't it better to gain knowledge about food/nutrition instead of always stumbling along not knowing or being un-successful?

The closed mind, if closed long enough, can be opened by nothing short of dynamite.
    Gerald W. Johnson
  • formersec
    formersec Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    The one basic problem with Dr. Oz and other medical experts you see on tv is that they don't know you, your personal medical history and condition. These doctors at best can talk generalities, but everyone is different. The best source of medical advice is your own doctor who knows YOU.

I have long suspected that Dr. Oz profits in some way from the products he promotes, and that would taint his recommendations. He has also dispensed advice on diabetes that is contrary to what I learned in diabetes education classes. He is not infallible and following his advice could be detrimental to your health...and your wallet as well.
  • fiftyandfit
    fiftyandfit Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    "Dr" Phil
    Dr. Oz

Both products of Oprah
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    The closed mind, if closed long enough, can be opened by nothing short of dynamite.
    Gerald W. Johnson

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out.”
    ― Carl Sagan

Dr. Oz touts pseudo-scientific nonsense and woo.

The Media Pigasus Award goes to Dr. Mehmet Oz, who has done such a disservice to his TV viewers by promoting quack medical practices that he is now the first person to win a Pigasus two years in a row. Dr. Oz is a Harvard-educated cardiac physician who, through his syndicated TV show, has promoted faith healing, "energy medicine," and other quack theories that have no scientific basis. Oz has appeared on ABC News to give legitimacy to the claims of Brazilian faith healer “John of God,” who uses old carnival tricks to take money from the seriously ill. He's hosted Ayurvedic guru Yogi Cameron on his show to promote nonsense "tongue examination" as a way of diagnosing health problems. This year, he really went off the deep end. In March 2011, Dr. Oz endorsed "psychic" huckster and past Pigasus winner John Edward, who pretends to talk to dead people. Oz even suggested that bereaved families should visit psychic mediums to receive (faked) messages from their dead relatives as a form of grief counseling.
  • shanahan_09
    Options
  • Kymwho
    Kymwho Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I watched the show today. I plan on finding those Rasperry Ketones.. I'll let you all know how it goes.. ;-)
  • shanahan_09
    Options
    Gerald W. Johnson

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out.”
    ― Carl Sagan

Dr. Oz touts pseudo-scientific nonsense and woo.

The Media Pigasus Award goes to Dr. Mehmet Oz, who has done such a disservice to his TV viewers by promoting quack medical practices that he is now the first person to win a Pigasus two years in a row. Dr. Oz is a Harvard-educated cardiac physician who, through his syndicated TV show, has promoted faith healing, "energy medicine," and other quack theories that have no scientific basis. Oz has appeared on ABC News to give legitimacy to the claims of Brazilian faith healer “John of God,” who uses old carnival tricks to take money from the seriously ill. He's hosted Ayurvedic guru Yogi Cameron on his show to promote nonsense "tongue examination" as a way of diagnosing health problems. This year, he really went off the deep end. In March 2011, Dr. Oz endorsed "psychic" huckster and past Pigasus winner John Edward, who pretends to talk to dead people. Oz even suggested that bereaved families should visit psychic mediums to receive (faked) messages from their dead relatives as a form of grief counseling.

((sigh)) to each their own!
  • SharleenY
    Options
    Dr. Oz is NOT reliable nor accurate. Although, yes, he is an MD with his specialty in cardio-thoracic surgery, but that's it. He can give great cardiac/thoracic advice, but he's honestly not qualified to give advice on neurology, rheumatology, nephrology, etc etc, like he tries to do on the show. I saw a show where he was talking about foods and supplements to help improve 'Problem X.' Telling an older woman that her libido will come back if she ate more watermelon is NOT medically sound, nor is telling a forgetful woman to take gingko biloba for her memory loss. The libido-less woman could have hormonal issues, while the forgetful woman could have neuro issues that might actually need to be treated. Eating watermelon and taking gingko biloba could prolong actual serious issues. A better example is this: In my case, I'm getting a PhD in Biomedical Sciences. Now, in our division, we all get this degree. However, our research and specialty are diverse. Mine's in Neuroscience, but we also have cardiovascular, cancer, biochemistry, and microbiology/virology. So, even though we're getting a PhD in Biomedical Sciences (aka Dr. Oz having an MD), I couldn't tell you the first thing about cardiovascular research or cancer biology, but I can in neuroscience (aka Dr. Oz in cardio-thoracic, but not in neurology, cancer, etc etc). Don't be fooled by the letters after his name. A specialty is what one needs to look at. It's why after an MD or PhD, we have to do residency or post-doc to specialize/get more training.
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    Memorable Oz Quotes:

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!!

Do not arouse the wrath of the great and powerful Oz. I said come back tomorrow.

Why, anybody can have a brain. That's a very mediocre commodity. Every pusillanimous creature that crawls on the Earth or slinks through slimy seas has a brain. Back where I come from, we have universities, seats of great learning, where men go to become great thinkers. And when they come out, they think deep thoughts and with no more brains than you have. But they have one thing you haven't got: a diploma.

Wait, I'm confused. First he was a Wizard, and now he's a Doctor? WTF?! :huh:
  • tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Dr Oz...
    Some info is okay.

I loathe his die-hard followers.
    I swear, he could say to take an ounce of arsenic everyday and people would do it.

I deal with this everyday at work.
    Dr Oz didn't invent this stuff either.
    I wish people would realize that.

Oh,
    and if you have no idea why you're taking *insert random supplement*, other than the fact Dr Oz says it's awesome, then maybe you don't need it.
    Some supplements can interfere with meds, and other supplements.
  • CallmeSbo
    CallmeSbo Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    He is kind of full of ****. I don't watch him for that reason.

Fiber would help him with that.
    lol. You funny. Anyway, thanks to Dr Oz now i know when my *kitten* is healthy, yeah i look at it when im done.
  • WandaVonDunajew
    WandaVonDunajew Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    That man would sell cow crap if he'd think he'll make money out of it :angry:

also, what is up with THIS? http://jezebel.com/5881163/dr-oz-gives-his-audience-no-choice-but-to-admit-theyre-fat :grumble:
  • CallmeSbo
    CallmeSbo Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I'm always amused by the skeptics and haters on posts such as this. Everyone is entitled to their opinion of course, BUT, the thing is though, those who are skeptics of Dr Oz and things like supplements (raspberry ketones...etc etc) are the ones who SUPPLEMENT themselves. Go figure! :tongue:
    Personally, I don't mind Dr Oz.. Of the shows I have watched, he has valid info for nutrition. He suggests food for healing instead of going for prescribed alternatives. Nothing wrong with that. Isn't it better to gain knowledge about food/nutrition instead of always stumbling along not knowing or being un-successful?

Gerald W. Johnson
    Agree 100% you spot on.
  • Tmrice721
    Tmrice721 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Does anyone watch Dr. Oz? Today's show was really informative.

That would be a first.

I'm going to try the raspberry ketones, and maybe the white kidney bean extract for my thunder thighs......

Want to buy a bridge? I've got a great one for sale.

wow... really mature... maybe you should take that bridge and trade it in for a personality...
  • seaglass2
    Options
    Lots of Dr. Oz h8ter's here.

I saw the show and posted something similar yesterday and go pretty much the same vitriol.

I think weight loss is about healthy nutrition in appropriate proportions along with exercise. I think that's pretty much what Dr. Oz is all about. However, he is willing to look beyond what traditional western medicine teaches and so many here say he is a quack. To each their own.

I guess anything is worth a try it might work for you but not for me. We are all different and what is effective for someone has no effect on someone else.

What would be more interesting is to see someone who did try the supplement who would be willing to give their input.

I doubt anyone would now after all the vitriol on this thread. The ironic thing is that I am sure most here have tried a diet plan or supplement with high hopes it would *help* them - so calm down people!