Do you have a thyroid problem?

Options
2»

Replies

• sblueyez
    sblueyez Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Yup! Hashimotos... I feel like it's technically just Hypothyroid, as I don't really get the spurts of "over active thyroid" that comes with Hashimotos.

I got tested after I caught myself bent over, head on desk, utterly exhausted in the middle of the day (I work in front of a GIANT ground level window in the front of a medical office-- kiiiind of inappropriate!). I also gained weight, my nails and hair got dry and flaky, I was T-I-R-E-D, and got sick all the time. I've been on meds for about 5 years, and while technically my blood work is in "normal range" I still have waves of utter fatigue.

Switching to a gluten free diet TOTALLY helps, but I stink at sticking with it. Other than meds, has anyone found other things that help?

I'm glad you mentioned the gluten. I feel better just eating LESS of it. Haven't made the full switch but I don't think I'm making it up that I feel better. Another thing that has helped is not eating things with added sugar and once I stopped eating Splenda I realllly felt better. That probably has very little to do with my thyroid however.
  • Kymwho
    Kymwho Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Yes!! I was diagnosed 2yrs ago with an underactive thyroid. I was irriatable, gaining weight like crazy, exhausted all the time. My levels were SO low, that my Dr asked me how do I even get out of bed! Ultrasound revealed a small nodule on the right side, that they're currently watching. On top of that aneima. She put me on synthroid and Iron 3x day along with a multi vitamin. I had dropped 30lbs in less than 1.5 months!! However, I started gaining again, thank you holidays, lol!! So, I'm trying to get back on track. Waiting on results if any change of my TH panel. Hope this helps!! Oh, and if they do put you on any thyroids meds, keep them at your bedside along with a bottle of water. Take it first thing in the am and DO NOT eat anything for 30 minutes. Otherwise you're just wasting your meds. It has to be absorbed into the bloodstream for it to even take affect. Good Luck!!
  • kyrstensmom
    kyrstensmom Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Hypothyroid diagnosed 4 years ago. I just went to the dr a few days ago because I was feeling "off"...tired, hair falling out, dry, itchy skin...turns out I was overmedicated since I have lost 35 pounds. On a new lower dosage as of a couple of days ago...we'll see if it helps.
  • PrairieRoseNE
    Options
    I have hashimotos. My dad does as well. I've always thought I had it, since my teens. My labs always came back at the high range of "normal". Well I believe any TSH that isn't extremely close to 1, is abnormal. The lab companies disagreed so my doctor would never treat me because 4.5 wasn't bad enough. Finally the brain fog and memory problems started interfering with work and I really had to advocate for myself. The doctor finally started me on meds.

Once your doctor gets your labs, ask for a copy. If your TSH is not close to 1, and if you are having other symptoms, don't be afraid to speak up about it. If the dr doesn't listen, it is time to find a new one.

I like what you said about being your own advocate!! When my former Dr. diagnosed me with High Blood Pressure a few years ago, he tried several type of medicine on me - none of which worked and I was getting frustrated. So I started researching HBP myself on Webmd.com - found out lots that my Dr. wasn't telling me. (And yes, I AM the type to ask alot of questions!!)

At my last appt with that particular Dr., I finally spoke bluntly and said I'd like to try Losartan for my bp - because of what I'd read, and what I knew about myself. He wasn't very happy that I was trying to diagnose myself, but finally agreed that maybe we should try it - and guess what, my bp numbers started coming down right away.

I've since changed Doctors, and she concurred that I should stay on Losartan for my pressure issues.

Re: the hypothyroidism, I've been doing alot of reading about it, and I'll obey my Dr. for these first 6 months, and if my blood work doesn't show an improvement in thyroid numbers - I'm gonna be very assertive that we make adjustments.

Next time I'm there, I'm gonna ask to see my past lab results and see what my numbers really were. Thanks for the tip!

Good luck to all that have thyroid issues!
  • slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Diagnosed in August. Was dancing (ballet) daily but had to nap after each session. Then I gained 10 pounds in about 2 weeks NOT doing anything different. I also had joint pain.

I'm on my second level of Levathroid. Couldn't take the generic - did absolutely nothing for me. I had my third blood test yesterday and have an appointment in a couple of weeks to see what the levels are. I'm feeling tired a lot lately, so I know it needs adjusting.

The joint pain and weight gain is what sent me to the doctor. I thought I was going through menopause so asked for that test. He tested for it and for thyroid and found the thyroid and testosterone levels were extremely bad. I have to take DHEA in addition to the Levathroid.

I haven't lost much weight as yet but I'm not stressing out about it at this stage. I'd like to get leaner, rather than worry about the scale, and get stronger, so I've changed up my exercise routine (apart from ballet, which more or less stays the same anyway). More weight-lifting and doing that separate from the cardio (thanks to Banks for that advice!! :-) ).
  • sblueyez
    Options
    I have this "gut" feeling that the dosage isn't high enough - because I'm stuck on a plateau - weightloss-wise. As hard as I've tried, the scale hasn't moved. I'd been doing so well and then BAM - brick wall.
    And my Dr. won't increase the meds yet, because she says it hasn't been six months yet, and it can take up to 6 months before the meds start making a difference.

So I'm working hard at just maintaining my weight - trying not to re-gain what I've lost.

I've never heard of a 6 months waiting period for levo... I started at 25mcg in October. I'm up to 75mcg. When my symptoms come back I request a blood draw and I'm always right about needing an increase so far.

I'm familiar with a1c blood levels in diabetics being checked every 3-6 months because that is how long they take to change, but I've never heard of waiting regarding the thyroid for any reason. I started feeling better just a few weeks after starting it. If you know the logic behind waiting, please share!
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    if so, what is it? And what made you decide to get checked out? I'm getting mine checked tomorrow because I have such a huge family history of thyroid diseases

I have Hashimoto's disease, also known as Hashimoto's Thyroiditis.
    I was diagnosed almost 10 years ago (I was 18)
    I got mine checked out because my cousin was diagnosed with it, and i had unexplained weight issues/gains, lethargy, etc.
    I wanted to get checked at the age of 15 but my mom kept telling me i was too young to have something like that. :[

My thyroid was 3x the size it should be, when i finally went to an endocrinologist.
  • PrairieRoseNE
    Options
    I have this "gut" feeling that the dosage isn't high enough - because I'm stuck on a plateau - weightloss-wise. As hard as I've tried, the scale hasn't moved. I'd been doing so well and then BAM - brick wall.
    And my Dr. won't increase the meds yet, because she says it hasn't been six months yet, and it can take up to 6 months before the meds start making a difference.

So I'm working hard at just maintaining my weight - trying not to re-gain what I've lost.

I've never heard of a 6 months waiting period for levo... I started at 25mcg in October. I'm up to 75mcg. When my symptoms come back I request a blood draw and I'm always right about needing an increase so far.

I'm familiar with a1c blood levels in diabetics being checked every 3-6 months because that is how long they take to change, but I've never heard of waiting regarding the thyroid for any reason. I started feeling better just a few weeks after starting it. If you know the logic behind waiting, please share!

I just know what she told me - that it would take 6 months to see if the dosage she put me on was strong enough?? I'm at the 25mcg dosage right now. I personally think it's not strong enough, because I haven't felt any different - not like I expected to anyway. I assumed it would be a noticable difference. Maybe I should call and make an appt to discuss this with her?? I sure don't want to waste time taking too low of a dose if there's no reason to wait before increasing it!! Thanks for the insight!!

~~PR
  • TiffanyV25
    TiffanyV25 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    WOW, so many people have thyroid problems! I am hypothyroid. I was born with little-to-no thyroid and I have been on synthroid my whole life. Definitely affects your mood, energy and weight! If anyone has any questions that I can help out with, feel free to add me. Been in this game for 25 years! Not fun, but it's life!
  • icklecyberfairy
    icklecyberfairy Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I used to have a thyroid problem and was prescribed 100mg Levothyrioxine. I was diagnosed at 16 but it wasn't severe enough to treat, finally i was given a prescription when i was 19 and was on 100mg until i was 26. I was moody, couldn't study, used to fall asleep at random times, I'd feel like crying when i was really tired, severe migranes, foggy thinking, etc.

I moved to Japan when i was 25 and after six months I started feeling adverse effects from the Levothyroxine. My prescription was from my home country and so I decided to just stop taking it. When I returned home a year later, I had blood works done and they came back totally normal. I had a discussion with the dietician and doctor, as well as a hospital consultant and they all agreed that it was likely that the high iodine level was good for my condition. Iodine is found in fish, shellfish and particular seaweed.

However, i still struggle with my weight as i have PCOS too and I am therefore Insulin Resistant. Boo!
  • TiaUti
    TiaUti Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hyperthyroid (Grave's Disease) in total remission and off all meds.
  • pigwidgeon82
    pigwidgeon82 Posts: 79 Member
    Options

I just know what she told me - that it would take 6 months to see if the dosage she put me on was strong enough?? I'm at the 25mcg dosage right now. I personally think it's not strong enough, because I haven't felt any different - not like I expected to anyway. I assumed it would be a noticable difference. Maybe I should call and make an appt to discuss this with her?? I sure don't want to waste time taking too low of a dose if there's no reason to wait before increasing it!! Thanks for the insight!!

~~PR

the way i understood it, each time you take synthroid it builds. synthroid you take today will be in your system for the next 4-6 weeks. i believe the half-life of the medicine is about 10 days, so roughly in two weeks you will be able to tell if you are overmedicated. my doctor keeps me on a dose for 2-3 months and then rechecks my levels. if the numbers are off, she ups the medicine and then checks back in two weeks to see if i'm feeling overmedicated. if not, i continue on that dose until 2-3 months later and recheck.

6 months is a RIDICULOUSLY long time to wait before being checked again UNLESS you have been having normal blood work for months. if your levels have been steady, sometimes doctors will go every six months, but i have never heard of a doctor waiting 6 months on a new or unsteady dosage.

i have gone from 75mcg to 125mcg in about six months. HUGE difference that would have seriously affected my ability to function had my doctor waited 6 months to test me again. i think you may need a new doctor. if you can't get a new doctor, definitely demand to be checked more often. that just makes me really nervous, a doctor who won't recheck you when your dose is new AND you don't feel right. good luck!
  • EfFemme
    EfFemme Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Totally agree-- lots of docs think if you have tsh levels under four or five and aren't complaining, then you're fine... And many are afraid of "over medicating", so if you feel crummy, speak up! Chances are you could still come down on levels. I didn't know this until taking my bloodwork to a Naturopath, who suggested to watch my gluten/dairy/sugar intake and was shocked at my high numbers/lack of intervention by my primary. I think diet changes have helped the most.. But my primary doctor is a jerk, she gave me such a hard time to increase my meds, then blamed my weight gain on "too many carbs" when I was seriously barely eating any AND running pretty much every freaking day. (sill haven't found a great doctor yet)
  • 0AmyMarie0
    Options
    For all of you, keep in mind, there is a hypo/hyper thyroid group on here you can join to talk specifically about those issues :)
  • Farfelue
    Options
    Hashi Hypo too, found post partum.

To sblueyez, I too was on "normal" level but I kicked till I got what I wanted : combination treatment T3 T4.
    Haven't felt this good in years.

I recommend http://thyroid-disease.org.uk/index.php a brilliant website full of very helpful and supportive people. Lots of knowledge on there too.
  • sblueyez
    Options
    Hashi Hypo too, found post partum.

To sblueyez, I too was on "normal" level but I kicked till I got what I wanted : combination treatment T3 T4.
    Haven't felt this good in years.

I recommend http://thyroid-disease.org.uk/index.php a brilliant website full of very helpful and supportive people. Lots of knowledge on there too.

I have a naturopath appt this month. I'm bringing all my bloodwork (handy because I always ask for copies). I have a feeling they can up my levo all they want but my body is not using it quite right. I have had my t3 checked but think my doctor is just my well educated on the subject. Not quite sure. My energy level is better but I still feel sub par.
  • seaglass2
    Options
    I have hashimoto's too. Seems like there are quite a few here that do as well

There is an MFP group in case you are interested - here is a linky-

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/770-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism
  • karenrace
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism - found out by just having routine bloodwork done. Once i found out, it was like a light switch was turned on. My mom has it, too. I did not realize I was experiencing symptoms because I had a baby eight months prior, so I thought a lot of what I felt was just post-partum symptoms (and the weight was just that last 10 pounds of baby weight that wouldn't come off).

I am on 25 mcg of Levothyroxin now. Still having a hard time losing weight, but I have labs again in April, so we'll see.
  • PrairieRoseNE
    Options
    Thank You to everyone for all the great discussion!! I definitely will make an appt ASAP and seriously discuss my thoughts with my Doctor. So far I've liked her just fine - but I have no qualms about getting a second opinion if necessary.

I've waited too long already with NOT feeling as good as I could be feeling - I'm NOT gonna wait any longer. Life's too short to go thru it feeling "halfway" normal!!!!!!!!!

Thanks again!
    ~~PR
  • danii573
    danii573 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yes. I have post partum. I was diagnosed with enlarged cystic goiters on my thyroids and had them partially removed. I ve been taking Levothyroxide for 19 years. Weight has been very difficult to manage. Im at my largest now. Some of the symptoms can be hair breaking, dry skin, lethargic, tired a lot.....definitely get it checked out.