Options
    bump.. :-)
  • dslynn8
    Options
    Another Bump :)
  • CnocNaCu
    CnocNaCu Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce fat. You need to build some muscle. You will not do this lifting books or 2lb weights.

Sorry, but YES, YOU CAN. Not spot reduce of course, but you can strengthen your arms, especially the back of them and you will feel great because your arms are not so wobbly any more. I've done that and it worked for me. And I did it with .5l water bottles when I started. Just do it every day for at least 15 times/3reps and mix up 3-5 different exercises.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce fat. You need to build some muscle. You will not do this lifting books or 2lb weights.

Sorry, but YES, YOU CAN. Not spot reduce of course, but you can strengthen your arms, especially the back of them and you will feel great because your arms are not so wobbly any more. I've done that and it worked for me. And I did it with .5l water bottles when I started. Just do it every day for at least 15 times/3reps and mix up 3-5 different exercises.

Muscles need stimulus to grow. 2lb weights may be challenging for a 10 year old girl but seeing as how adults pick up things heavier than this in day to day life there is no challenge. Once a muscle is jaded to the load it is being put under there is no stimulus to grow. Hence why you incase weight as you get stronger.

It is possible that youre idea of not flabby arms is different mine also I guess a that is fine.
  • hannata86
    Options
    Muscles need stimulus to grow. 2lb weights may be challenging for a 10 year old girl but seeing as how adults pick up things heavier than this in day to day life there is no challenge. Once a muscle is jaded to the load it is being put under there is no stimulus to grow. Hence why you incase weight as you get stronger.

It is possible that youre idea of not flabby arms is different mine also I guess a that is fine.

*nods*

2lb weights are about as useful as a kick in the face.... When I started at the gym my trainer had me on 4kg as a basic training (which is 8.8lbs) and any male or female should be able to do without any struggle! I built up over a year between 4/6kg, and I can now EASILY throw around an 8kg (17.6lbs) kettlebell. And I'm by no means strong or fit =P
  • valmaebel
    valmaebel Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    in order to tone, it's best to use lighter weights at more reps...around 15 reps a set. heavy books would be more than adequate for this for someone who is just starting out with weight lifting. triceps do not take a lot of weight to tone them. heavier weights at lower reps are more useful if you want to bulk up. Either will help add definition. But for someone without weight sets....large fans, heavy books (like a dictionary) would be a great way to start out. as for actually burning the fat, leg muscles are larger and thus will burn more fat, so it's very useful to build them up as well.
  • valmaebel
    valmaebel Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    just an added note...the muscles you use to lift heavy objects are not the same ones that these lifts would work. Triceps are not nearly as strong...especially if people don't take the time to build them.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    in order to tone, it's best to use lighter weights at more reps...around 15 reps a set. heavy books would be more than adequate for this for someone who is just starting out with weight lifting. triceps do not take a lot of weight to tone them. heavier weights at lower reps are more useful if you want to bulk up. Either will help add definition. But for someone without weight sets....large fans, heavy books (like a dictionary) would be a great way to start out. as for actually burning the fat, leg muscles are larger and thus will burn more fat, so it's very useful to build them up as well.

broscience
  • k1mcat
    k1mcat Posts: 68
    Options
    Yes, she could go buy a set of barbells, but that wasn't listed as an option.
    Yes, I agree, using a book (or two), a big purse, a gallon of paint, or a chunk of concrete from a demolished building won't do much, but it's a start; and that's better than sitting on the couch.
    [/quote]

Love it! Yes, 50% of something is better than 100% of nothing! Your post was positive, I could see that. :happy:
  • Jazzmagic
    Jazzmagic Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I take a "boxit" class too which is good at targetting your arms. It's aerobics with a focus on various punches and kicks. Maybe take a look at a gym for something similar?
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Lift weights and do push ups!

Cardio won't get rid of flabby arms!