First Tattoo

Options
so when i reach my goal weight HOPEFULLY on my 21st birthday i plan to get my first tattoo
any advice??!!!
i am scared lol

Replies

• clydethecat
    clydethecat Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    this wont be popular, but i would wait until you're thirty to even think about one. i have three, i got them in my very early 20's when i thought i knew exactly what i would want for my future. when you're in your twenties, you really dont know what the rest of your life is going to be like... life changes you, your views change with age..

if you really want one.. then i would suggest something small and hidden, just so you know what its all about.. the only tattoo that i plan on keeping is the little flower i got on my shoulder.. it was my first one and i wish it had been my only one... just my opinion.. good luck with the tat :)
  • Ireshgurl
    Options
    Drink lots of water, eat a big meal and keep candy or soda near by to eat/drink while getting the tattoo to keep your sugar levels up, first of all. No one can tell ya how it's gonna feel because it's different for everyone. Some people will say a certain place will hurt, others will say other places hurt more. Make sure that your first tattoo is something you can see yourself with 40 yrs down the line. With all of my tattoos I knew INSTANTLY that I wanted them and would be happy with them for the rest of my life, and so far, I'm not dissapointed with any of the 13 I have and plan on getting more.
  • MomsTooBig
    MomsTooBig Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    so when i reach my goal weight HOPEFULLY on my 21st birthday i plan to get my first tattoo
    any advice??!!!
    i am scared lol

Don't rush to do it and get anything' because it looks good on their 'menu' (portfolio I mean). It should be something that means ALOT to you and always will. For example, a butterfly or ladybug you think is cute now, ....may not seem as cute when your 45 and your tastes have changed.

The other piece of advice I have is to have it done where it won't be readily viewable to the public. A lot of employers will not hire or keep anyone who have tattoos unless they're able to be covered.

Hope this helps! Make sure you share a pic when you have it done because you WILL get there soon enough! :wink:

Tracy

13680624.png
  • leanmachinedream
    Options
    Do your research, go to the best guy in town (he'll be worth the money), and put it in an intelligent place.
  • lgoss87
    lgoss87 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Get something that means something personal to you :) I have 8 (got between age 16-21, now 24) and each has it's own meaning and I love them! Do your research on tattoo artists and make sure you find a really good one with a good rep, so many dodgy tattooists out there! Pick a design and then give it a few weeks to be sure :) and enjoy it! :D
  • rachyrach1234
    Options
    i already know what i want and i have been wanting it for years
    im mostly just looking for advice on how to deal with the pain
  • ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    Its really not as bad as you will can make it out to be.....I am TERRIFIED of needles, but I can sit for 4 hours getting tattooed.....my very first one took almost 3 hours!

Make sure to eat something first, and maybe take some hard candy or something....

other than that, you will be fine, it really is not all that bad♥
  • nhughes1864
    nhughes1864 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I have been wanting a tatoo for YEARS but have not gotten one because of my size. My husband has one and wants another one. We decided that when I reach my goal weight, and maybe before depending on how I like my body, I'm going to get my first tattoo. I am almost 30 and have been thinking for all these years about where and what I want put on my body. This is nothing to rush into for sure!
  • rachyrach1234
    Options
    I have been wanting a tatoo for YEARS but have not gotten one because of my size. My husband has one and wants another one. We decided that when I reach my goal weight, and maybe before depending on how I like my body, I'm going to get my first tattoo. I am almost 30 and have been thinking for all these years about where and what I want put on my body. This is nothing to rush into for sure!

SAME FOR ME!!!
    i always wanted this one tattoo but i felt like if i got it i wouldnt show it off because of my weight!!
  • nhughes1864
    nhughes1864 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    SAME FOR ME!!!
    i always wanted this one tattoo but i felt like if i got it i wouldnt show it off because of my weight!!

That is why I have waited. I want to be at a size where I can show it off and not have people turn away in horror. Plus, I knew I was going to be losing weight so I didn't want to get one and then have it change as my body got smaller. I am terrified of needles though so we will see if I am woman enough to go through with it once I reach my goal :smile:
  • debswebby
    Options
    this wont be popular, but i would wait until you're thirty to even think about one. i have three, i got them in my very early 20's when i thought i knew exactly what i would want for my future. when you're in your twenties, you really dont know what the rest of your life is going to be like... life changes you, your views change with age..

if you really want one.. then i would suggest something small and hidden, just so you know what its all about.. the only tattoo that i plan on keeping is the little flower i got on my shoulder.. it was my first one and i wish it had been my only one... just my opinion.. good luck with the tat :)

Totally agree. I had 3 done in my early twenties and I hate them so much. I wish I could get them removed.
  • QueenJayJay
    QueenJayJay Posts: 1,139
    Options
    any advice??!!!

Get something you will want to be seen on your body when you are in a swimsuit playing with your children on the beach. Get something you will want to be seen when your grandchildren ask you why you have it. Get something you will want to be seen when you get your butt wiped in a "retirement" home. Get something you will want to be seen when your loved ones kiss you goodbye...otherwise, don't get it.
  • sugarflywithme83
    sugarflywithme83 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I got my first tattoo a year ago (I'm 28) and it didnt hurt me at all. It is on the inside of my wrist and is about 2inchs in length and once in width. I thought about it for a really long time before I actually bit the bullet so to speak. I think everyone's threshold for pain is different that's why you get so many different opinions. I really didn't flinch at all and took about 45min to an hour to do my tatt.

Good luck! I hope if you get it you are very happy with the result! :)
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I got my first tattoo about that age, and I still LOVE IT!

Get something with life long meaning - something special.
  • sunspotalli
    sunspotalli Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    i'm actually hoping to get my first tat here within the next week or so i agree go to someone who has a good reputation and look at their work. as far as the pain from what i hear it is different for everyone but everyone i know said it's not that bad
  • lruthruff
    lruthruff Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Just make sure it is something that you will always be proud to wear.
  • mmuzzatti
    mmuzzatti Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    They are addicting! I have 3 and want more. I found that it is mostly mental on the pain. I just lay there and zone out and you feel it but it really is something you can control. Go to that happy place!
  • TiffaniBarrett
    TiffaniBarrett Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Some people regret tattoo's - some people don't. But I say that you only live once, and really - am I going to care what a tattoo looks like when in 70?! I'll just be glad to be alive, not worried about a tattoo I had in the past!
    Also, my tattoo's have a story - I know when I got them done, where I was at in my life - and what was going on in my life at that point!
    I am 21 and I have 5 (small) tattoo's on my body, and one of them is on my wrist and going onto my hand. Its visible all of the time and I love it! Its a talking point!

Its your own choice really - and a lot of people are against tattoo's - but do make sure it is something you love! !

I eat a choccy bar or a can of coke before a tattoo - keep the sugar levels up! xx
  • ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    Its really not as bad as you will can make it out to be.....I am TERRIFIED of needles, but I can sit for 4 hours getting tattooed.....my very first one took almost 3 hours!

Make sure to eat something first, and maybe take some hard candy or something....

other than that, you will be fine, it really is not all that bad♥

Yep, I'm petrified of needles too, and I had no fear getting my tattoo. Depending on where on your body you're getting your tattoo, the pain will vary. Not going to lie, it's not the most painless thing out there, so make sure you eat, and keep very well hydrated.

**I'm sorry men, but women who are on their period will experience more pain (especially in the hip/pelvic/low back area). So plan to get your tattoo two weeks after your cycle is complete.
  • Amber_Kunkel
    Options
    i already know what i want and i have been wanting it for years
    im mostly just looking for advice on how to deal with the pain

I just got my first tattoo in december (its my profile photo). It did not hurt as bad as I thought it would. The outline felt like bee stings and the shading felt like a sunburn. During the healing process it felt like a sun burn too. Or atleast for me it did. Its really not that bad. Just make sure that you follow the tattoo artist's advice on cleaning it so it does not get infected. I jogged on the treadmill the day after I got mine, I just didnt move my arm as much. And make sure that you go to a tattoo artist that other people have gone to so you know that they do a good job. You definetly don't want your first tattoo to look like crap, lol. Good luck girlie, you'll be fine =)