What's your recovery drink?

Options
I drink a cup of low-fat chocolate milk after my intense workouts. I've read in many places that it's good to have after a workout, and it also makes me feel better right afterward. I'm interested in seeing what else people use, though? What do you eat/drink after a really hard workout???

Replies

• alexandria412
    alexandria412 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I try to do a combination of protein and simple sugar, like an apple or cheese. I've never done chocolate milk, but that would be great! When I'm on the run, I'll do some sort of bar.

I'm trying to bite the bullet and buy protein powder because a shake after working out is supposed to be realy good for muscle recovery...but I'm too cheap!
  • audddyy
    Options
    WOW I've read that too about choccy milk, I use to do that, but now I make smothies... like put in yoghurt, blueberries, honey etc... and sometimes I add some sustengen to it also depending on if it was a really hard session. :smile:
  • kater8er
    kater8er Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I try to do a combination of protein and simple sugar, like an apple or cheese. I've never done chocolate milk, but that would be great! When I'm on the run, I'll do some sort of bar.

I'm trying to bite the bullet and buy protein powder because a shake after working out is supposed to be realy good for muscle recovery...but I'm too cheap!

I'm too cheap too! I usually have a boiled egg or something to get the protein in after a workout....
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Chocolate milk, or a Pepsi. For no other reason than I like a sugary drink after a workout.
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Vitalyte or Gu Brew
  • beduffbrickie
    beduffbrickie Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Mine after a workout is always maximuscle promax chocolate protein shake and a banana, goes down a treat!
  • NKF92879
    NKF92879 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    1 cup 1% milk
    1 scoop Muscle Milk Light Vanilla Creme Protein Powder
    1 tablespoon Jiff Reduced Fat Creamy Peanut Butter (Optional)

OR... I make a smoothie

1 cup frozen fruit
    1 scoop Muscle Milk Light Vanilla Creme Protein Powder
    1/2 cup Chobani 0% Fat Greek Yogurt
    1/2 cup 1% milk
  • angiebarker
    Options
    Tea is mine. Usually green tea or chamomile to calm down and relax. Sometimes juice or a glass of almond milk. I heard eating light a half hour to an hour before the workout and having something packed with protein such as peanut butter and crackers with fruit is awesome.
  • jkuhn71
    jkuhn71 Posts: 199
    Options
    I like Optimum Nutrition's Pro Complex (Rich Chocolate) mixed into my soymilk after I lift. If I'm just doing cardio - water.
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Low fat chocolate milk, but only after long runs. Not after "normal cardio" though like the elliptical or swimming.
  • TinyTinks
    Options
    I use my Herbalife Nutritional Shake with added Personalised Protein Powder :D xx absaloutely amazing for recovery :) xx
  • brett1117
    Options
    Shakeology...BEST money can buy!!
  • Brandongood
    Brandongood Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Creatine mixed with glutamine for muscle recovery, protein shot, and possibly a fiber bar
  • gecho
    gecho Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Jillian Micheals Vanilla Whey Protein with Vanilla Soy milk
    Relativly cheap, the whey protein is $10 and the soy like $2ish

1 scoop of powder and 1 cup of milk like 190 cals and super yummy:drinker:
  • kater8er
    Options
    Low fat chocolate milk, but only after long runs. Not after "normal cardio" though like the elliptical or swimming.

I always feel really shaky after my workouts because even when I elliptical/swim I go really hard. That's why I started looking into recovery stuff, actually.
  • athensguy
    Options
    Water.

I run in the morning, and I usually eat a banana and drink some water before the run. After the run, I drink some more water and then eat breakfast, which is usually some kind of oat cereal with soy milk.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I drink a cup of low-fat chocolate milk after my intense workouts. I've read in many places that it's good to have after a workout, and it also makes me feel better right afterward. I'm interested in seeing what else people use, though? What do you eat/drink after a really hard workout???

A cup of tea or coffee believe it or not. I don't really care whether it is good for me, it is what I really fancy after running lol.
  • CMomma23
    CMomma23 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I use P90X Results and Recovery (depends on my mood depends on the recipe I use) but, I love that stuff... it really keeps my muscles from being so sore.
  • kater8er
    Options
    One day I'll splurge and get a protein mix or something! They always look so good...
  • jhehle
    jhehle Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I guzzle an entire bottle of water after a work out, anything else would make me sick on my stomach. I work out really hard then collapse on the couch for a few minutes and then guzzle water, about 5-10 minutes later i feel totally awesome and so alive/awake and full of energy that i usually go do my daily tasks right afterwards. Love the "high" feeling of a good workout :)

PS. i totally love the taste of chocolate milk, but it doesnt like me, i get sick on my stomach every time i drink ...not sure why.