goal weight?

Options
I know I should only really aim to run a mile in five minutes, but that's not going to happen.
I have a few fitness goals, but oh man would I love one of those little ticker things to keep me motivated. The only problem is that I have no idea what my goal weight should be, because I don't understand muscle at all, or how much you actually gain when you get stronger.

I'm technically a healthy weight now; 138 down from 148. I'm 5'5 and have a fairly petite frame. I used to weigh 120, but was really weak and pretty squishy. I'm doing a lot of exercise now and I'm wondering how different 120 would be if I had muscle in there too.
Because i have a smaller frame and was softer at 120 before, I figured I would aim for 115. Do you think this is too low for someone who wants to also be strong?

Thanks you guys! It's just really confusing for me. I'm scared that if I don't et a goal and reach it, i'll be stuck on this stupid 1250 a day thing forever and never be able to go into maintainence.

Replies

• jpmill79
    jpmill79 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    i'm 5 4ish and my goal weight is 115-120. they say 100 pounds for a 5 foot person and add 5 pounds for every inch over that....i too am very small frame and look best around 117. so i would say 120-130 for you would be a good goal
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you shouldn't go for a "goal weight". Maybe you need a goal body fat percentage to track your progress. Focus on strength training and feeling strong. Focus on losing body fat, not "weight". Trust me someone who is muscular at 138 looks completely different than someone skinny fat at 138. Start there. The "weight loss" just happens to be a by-product of exercising.
  • chaitrex
    chaitrex Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    How do I figure out my weight percentage?
  • chaitrex
    Options
    i'm 5 4ish and my goal weight is 115-120. they say 100 pounds for a 5 foot person and add 5 pounds for every inch over that....i too am very small frame and look best around 117. so i would say 120-130 for you would be a good goal
    Thanks! For now, I'll set it for 125.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i am 5ft5, and my maintenance is 122-125lbs. i am fairly small framed i think, and personally i think 115 would be too thin... but thats on me, not you. i am trying to build a little muscle, as i got a bit overweight and very squishy. i would really like some ab definition, however i dont like other parts of my body when my bodyfat % gets that low, so its a bit of a juggling act to get to a good weight with the abs/bum/arms i like!

i agree with other posters, concentrate on getting the body you like when you're stood in your underwear, the number on your scales is a by product of that!
  • kardsharp
    kardsharp Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4' and I put down a "goal" weight of 130 pounds. I am not really too worried about that number. I'll know when I am there by how I look and feel. I just want to be healthy and not hang over my pants (tee hee)/

I think you need to do what makes you feel best as long as you maintain good health. Numbers on the scale are different for everyone that is why the medical community says a health range is between X & Y
  • tinalmanza08
    Options
    Hello!

Based on what you shared in this forum, yes you are technically healthy because your weight is in proportion to your height. Stop worrying on how to cut down on your weight. What you can do now is maintain your weight and make sure that you take in healthy food. Healthy could also mean another thing by making sure that you get the nutrients you need. One way to do this is simply stuff yourself with fresh fruits and veggies. There is another creative way of doing this and making sure the essential nutrients you need are with you by JUICING. Try to check out this really efficient juicer I found on the internet. I assure you it'll give you another point of view in being healthy: Try to check this link to know which juicer is best for your need: www.juicerreviews101.com/compare-best-juicers
  • chaitrex
    Options
    Hello!

Based on what you shared in this forum, yes you are technically healthy because your weight is in proportion to your height. Stop worrying on how to cut down on your weight. What you can do now is maintain your weight and make sure that you take in healthy food. Healthy could also mean another thing by making sure that you get the nutrients you need. One way to do this is simply stuff yourself with fresh fruits and veggies. There is another creative way of doing this and making sure the essential nutrients you need are with you by JUICING. Try to check out this really efficient juicer I found on the internet. I assure you it'll give you another point of view in being healthy: Try to check this link to know which juicer is best for your need: www.juicerreviews101.com/compare-best-juicers

I actually have been eating really healthy for a few years, just too much healthy food haha. I know I'm at a healthy weight, but honestly, since I started gaining, I've been so uncomfortable in my body. It just doesn't feel like MY body anymore, you know? I want to be the size I used to be, I just want to be stronger in it than I was before. Believe me, I'm not all that neurotic about numbers, I just want to be able to dance or play soccer all night and not feel too heavy on my feet for it.
  • chaitrex
    Options
    Hello!

By the way, are you seriously plugging a juicer in a completely irrelevant topic?