New and Discouraged

Options
Hi everyone. I'm new here, and I really need some advice or support. I am 39 years old, and started the program last Friday. My start weight was 156. And this morning (I weigh myself in the mornings) I am 158. How is this happening?!?!?! I am so depressed. I haven't weighed 158 in months! MFP gives me 1300 calories a day, and my calorie counts since Friday have been:
I worked out a lot on Friday and Sunday, and ate those calories. I realize I'm not at 1300, and Friday and Monday I went quite a bit past, but not enough to GAIN weight? Before I started MFP, I'm sure I ate more than this, since I wasn't measuring out anything. My workout routine has stayed the same. Please help - I'm not only discouraged, but I feel like something is the matter with me to be gaining weight and yet be hungry all the time!
Thank you,
LeeP

Replies

• Babybirdganz
    Babybirdganz Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    It could just be some water weight :)

Have you been drinking lots of water?
    I suggest looking at the sodium you're comsuming in a day, if you're sodium is high, you're probably just retaining water :)

Don't be discouraged!
  • childofbodom123
    childofbodom123 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Hi!

Well, I just worked out in my head quickly that you ate 1,350 calories over your calorie goal, that is not too far shy of half a pound. However, I have done this many a time and please do not be disheartened or discouraged by this.

You have not been with my fitness pal very long therefore calorie counting is new to you and to your body. First of all I would double check you have got your stats 100% correct, meaning your height and weight. Then check your goal, is it 2 pounds a week? Is it 1 pound? Once you are happy all that is correct then there are things you have to consider.

From what I have read, you go over eat a little bit most days but you exercise twice a week. This is not a routine so your metabolism will be struggling to understand what routine you are trying to do. This is even truer since you are feeling constantly hungry.

The key to losing weight is training your metabolism and the way to do this is to be constantly regular and try not to have extreme changes in your diet. You are eating different amounts each day and a couple of days a week is spent trying to put that right. This is like a yo-yo and if you imagine your metabolism is trying to keep up with you, one day you are sticking to 1,300 calories, then its 1,800, then 1,400, then 1,500, then 2,000 then 1,600 but 800 calories burnt with exercise, then 2,000 calories with 800 calories burnt then back to 1,400. This means your metabolism can not change to help you lose weight.

However it is a problem that is not too difficult to put right and to get you on the weight loss bus!

Try to be completely regular with your meals, obviously eating the exact same amount of calories each day is hard but on the days you know you are eating past 1,300 calories try do a little exercise to get your numbers back in the green. I mean if you eat 1,400 try and burn 100 calories so that your under your target. And do that each and every day, 100 calories is probably a half hour walk for you or 15 minutes on a bike. If you do that every day your metabolism will catch on and you will feel less hungry and you will lose weight. As for a couple of days of a lot of exercise that is fine but make sure you eat those extra calories.

So remember, if you have ate 100 or 400 more calories in a day, try to burn the same amount off. Likewise if you burn 400 more calories than you eat, try to eat that extra 400. This is how to train your metabolism and that will ultimately make your body lose weight and most importantly keep weight off!!

I have lost over 5 and a half stone in a year and for the first 2 month of that I only lost 3 pounds because I was over eating then under eating then doing bursts of exercise then none at all. I then started to eat and exercise the same amount each day (Roughly!) and the weight started dropping off. 2 Pounds a week (Most weeks!) and I have lost nearly 100 pounds.

So training your metabolism is key, try and get a little routine and keep in mind you have not been trying very long and the longer you keep at it the easier it becomes! This time last year I would give my left arm for a 12 inch pizza, now I simply can not eat the whole thing because my metabolism has shrunk!

Hope this helps and the very best of luck to you, feel free to contact me if you would like any more help :-).
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    It's only been a week.
    Get on the MFP program, stick to it for 3 months, and then let's talk.
    Getting healthy and fit is actually very simple but it's just hard work.
    This is how MFP works
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/help/faq/3-how-does-myfitnesspal-work

Just get started by going into settings to Update diet/fitness profile.
    Set your goals for 1 lb weight loss per week.
    NO MORE!
    And eat lean meats, low fat dairy, nuts, whole grains, fresh fruits and veggies.
    Do both cardio and resistance exercise.
    AND EAT BACK YOUR EXERCISE CALORIES!
    Remember, this is not a race, and you can reach your goals if you stick to a good plan as recommended on this site.

You have many people here ready to lend support, answer qustions and discuss any challenges.
    You can do this.

All Is Possible!
  • mowu
    mowu Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    It's only been a week.
    Get on the MFP program, stick to it for 3 months, and then let's talk.
    Getting healthy and fit is actually very simple but it's just hard work.
    This is how MFP works
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/help/faq/3-how-does-myfitnesspal-work

Just get started by going into settings to Update diet/fitness profile.
    Set your goals for 1 lb weight loss per week.
    NO MORE!
    And eat lean meats, low fat dairy, nuts, whole grains, fresh fruits and veggies.
    Do both cardio and resistance exercise.
    AND EAT BACK YOUR EXERCISE CALORIES!
    Remember, this is not a race, and you can reach your goals if you stick to a good plan as recommended on this site.

You have many people here ready to lend support, answer qustions and discuss any challenges.
    You can do this.

All Is Possible!

This....and water weight....give it some time.

You have just started which means that you have made a change and it is certain that your body will react some way shape or form....retaining some water is not uncommon when doing an abrupt change.
  • LeeP135
    LeeP135 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I'll keep going. Babybird - I just checked my diary, and yes, my sodium was over about 100 on all of the days, and yesterday it was over by 600, so I will focus on that in the next few days. I also have only been having about 6 glasses of water a day (though this still makes me pee all the time!) and I will try to get the 8.

My exercise routine is 3 times a week, plus some walking on the off days. I'm not sure I can be more regular than that given my schedule. But I think I need to get more used to the hunger I feel when I stay within 1300. I think I just feel dismayed to have gained. I wouldn't necessarily have expected to lose, given that I've been over, but the gain is depressing.

I will keep at it and report back.

Thank you!
  • mowu
    mowu Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I also have only been having about 6 glasses of water a day (though this still makes me pee all the time!) and I will try to get the 8.

Remember that the 8 glasses are not some magical goal....it's a rule-of-thumb to make sure you drink enough to keep properly hydrated....as long as you are drinking "enough" to ensure that you pee regularly and your urine is pale yellow to colorless you're doing perfect.....and then it doesn't matter if you drank 5 or 14 glasses.
  • traveller888
    traveller888 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Yes! Keep at it - it's easy to get discouraged, but it sometimes takes a little time to get your body on track with your mind (and vice versa).

Ugh...water weight! Check on your sodium. And, if you can, measure and weigh your foods. I started to do that and it was amazing what I thought a bowl of cereal really was! It takes time, but stick to it for 2-3 weeks. If you loose easily, sometimes you can gain easily. Slow and steady wins the race!

I'm 37 and lost 25 lbs 3 years ago. 10 lbs crept back on and I'm going to go for a little lower this time and plan to maintain once I get there! You can do it!

Oh, and drink a lot of water!

13671380.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • tonyacoursey
    tonyacoursey Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    The same thing happened to me. Take a look at your sodium intake and make sure you are drinking water. I am losing now at a pound a week and don't feel deprived at all. The water and the peeing all the time will calm down once your body gets used to it (just think you can count the calorie burn running to the bathroom!) Good luck and don't give up. We together can do this
  • LeeP135
    Options
    Mowu - okay thanks. I think I'm going to try to get the water in earlier in the day - I think too often I cram them in later, and then I have to pee more. I've been eating more fresh produce, which also seems to make me need to pee more.

traveller, yes, my sodium has been a little (not a lot) high, so I'm going to work on that. I definitely have been measuring my foods accurately at home (lost 15 pounds on weight watchers 6 years ago, before last child, and got used to weighing/measuring then) but one struggle is having to guesstimate when I eat out. Yesterday I ate a pretty modest amount at a local Asian Noodle place, and had to just guess at my amounts there. I eat lunch out about once a week, and dinner a couple times a month, so I need to figure out how to estimate those better.
  • Robeypa1
    Robeypa1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Ditch the scale, hide it, it's nothing but discouragement, grab your old clothes, use those try them on, the key is feeling better and fitting into your clothes better. Believe me I know...
  • reneegallagher
    Options
    sometimes will body will hold on to water just before you see a drop on the scale... it's fighting to maintain your current weight. Also, I don't know if anyone else out there is like this but I always retain 3lbs of water just before and during the full moon. TODAY is the full moon. Just watch for that next month and see if that happens to you as well. I've met several people who say it happens to them as well. Don't get discouraged... Good luck.
  • joehoward
    Options
    I try to at least drink four or five 16 oz bottle of waters a day, more sometimes if im doing cardio. Also you went over your calories alot so if you have a favorite thing you like to eat look at ways you can trim calories at breakfast or lunch so that you can have more for dinner, that works for me. I have only lost a pound in last 3 weeks but when i was honest with myself it was because when my girlfriend would eat junk food i would sneak a small handful, multiply that by 5 days and you get the picture. I also try to at least finish the day with the calories i exercised off and try not to eat those back. People always ask me "can you eat that?" and i tell them "Yes i can i just cant eat alot of it" You have an image in your head of what you would like to look like, that image is on layaway everytime you make a healthy food choice or exercise you are paying on that layaway until one day you look in the mirror and its been paid in full. Keep with it i promise it works, you may have to tweak it here and there but it really works.
  • bm_stclair
    bm_stclair Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    As has been said this is not a quick fix.
    Oh the dreaded scale. A simple electrical device that can change the emotional state of the far superior human brain. DO NOT LET THAT THING MANIPULATE YOUR EMOTIONS!!! The scale is but a simple tool for one measurement that is only an indicator of your overall health.

Having said that, I would recommend weighing in weekly. By all means keep track of your weight.
    There is a lot that you can figure out about yourself if you have weekly weigh-ins over the course of months. You will see ups, downs, and plateaus. Those weeks where you dont see any change or worse yet, as you've experienced, you gain a bit can be very discouraging. In this particular case you just got unlucky and had one of those weeks on your first week. No worries.

Give yourself a chance. Understand that at the very least you are eating better and exercising which, although the scale may not show it, is making you more healthy. Then over the course of a few weeks you will more than likely see a change. If you don't see a change still dont be discouraged. Maybe it'll require a bit of adjustment to your diet or routine. You WILL see change eventually. Just keep learning about yourself by using these MFP tools to quantify your lifestyle.

Also keep in mind that if you follow the advice of others and, in addition to cardio, you incorporate some resistance training into your exercise routine (and you absolutely should as increase in muscle = higher metabolism = better fat burning) you might be gaining muscle that replaces the fat you lose. This means you will not see much of, if any, weight loss sometimes. Again, that is ok. As long as you know you are doing things that you know are better for your health.

Having faith in your plan is the key. Seeing positive results over many weeks will reinforce that faith. Keep working at it.
  • MokeyMarie
    Options
    That was interesting about the full moon. I'll keep that in mind and see if that affects me, too. I know it affects peoples' moods and sleep, so why not weight (probably water retention) as well. Very interesting!!!
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    There is a reason for this! When you first start working out hard, your body retains fluids to be converted to glycogen. Glycogen is used to fuel your workouts. It is very common to see a scale gain in the beginning. Don't worry though, you are likely still losing fat, even if it doesn't show up for weeks.

For me, when I first get back to exercising, I gain 2-3 pounds and don't lose a single thing for 2-3 weeks. But when I finally DO lose, it will catch up to my 1 pound a week that I've been working towards.

Here are some articles discussing this very issue -

http://www.sparkpeople.com/community/ask_the_experts.asp?q=68

http://www.livestrong.com/article/403311-gaining-weight-when-starting-an-exercise-program/
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I also have only been having about 6 glasses of water a day (though this still makes me pee all the time!) and I will try to get the 8.

This. Water weight gain is common in the 1st few weeks but once your body gets used to the amount you are consuming you should lose it back. 1 week is not enough to judge success off, you need to keep at the program for a few months.. I have lost 9lbs in 3 months but it took until this month after the 1st week to get past 4..
  • LeeP135
    Options
    I've been working out the same amount (weights 2-3 times a week, cardio 3 times a week) but 3 weeks ago I changed my weight routine, and started using heavier weights, and have been more sore, so maybe, like you all said, I am retaining more water as a result and gaining muscle? I have had 3 glasses so far this morning, and had a 30 minute walk, and am now off to do weights. Thanks so much everyone for your replies. I was so depressed this morning, but now I feel like I'm back on track.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Water weight can really make you feel like you're flabbo! I can gain as much as 5 pounds around that TOM. (Interesting bit about the moon, perhaps it's true?)
    I jumped back into exercise recently, and the scale didn't want to budge! But I've flushed it all through now.

Did you know drinking water helps minimize water weight? If you feel thirsty you are already dehydrated! And if you drink enough, you don't need to worry as much about your sodium! ;)
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Your weight fluctuates daily, and it's quite possible you actually have lost weight. I know it's frustrating to not register a loss, but a week really isn't anything in the long run. Give it a month at least, and don't panic.
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Yes, I would say give it more time. Your body is not going to register change immediately. It is a great machine that adapts, but not always as fast as we expect. Also, try to meet your calorie goal and get some good activity at least 3 times a week. My weight loss started off very slow as well. I've been at this for 3 weeks and have only lost 2.8lbs. Most of it was in the second week.

KEEP IT UP!