Frustrated and Discouraged...

Options
I have been working on living a more healthy lifestyle (eating the right diet for my health and wellness and exercising regularly) for about three weeks. I have lost 14-15 lbs...and now I am STUCK. I am at exactly 240 lbs every time I step on the scale. I want to see that needle drop!

What am I doing wrong? I am still eating a low carb diet (because I am insulin resistant). I am still tracking my calorie intake on MFP. I am still exercising daily by walking my dogs, going to the gym three times a week, taking pilates class once a week, and doing a work-out DVD (Cardio Max from the Biggest Loser) once a week.

I feel better and I feel like I look better, but the scale is staying the same and so are my measurements. I am so frustrated! :(

Replies

• julieb74
    Options
    Have you been giving yourself a cheat day? Maybe your body needs some bad stuff.....I have found that does work for me in the past :).

Good luck and don't get discouraged, that is a fantastic amount to lose in 3 weeks!
  • huddleston_J
    Options
    I am completely with you there. It is sooo aggravating! I've lost 7lbs in 3 weeks.. And it's like I'm stuck also. For the past 14 days I've exercised every day and today I was told I need a rest day and to give in a little to my cravings. So we'll see if this works. I like to work out now and feel great when I do but it stinks the number on the scale is not changing!! Feel free to add me both if you like :)
  • mlucarelli74
    mlucarelli74 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hmmm...maybe you are turning fat into muscle? Muscle weighs more than fat, so if you plateau for a few weeks that is usually what is happening. That always happens to me a few weeks into dieting and exercising, and then all of a sudden I start losing again.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    youve lost alot already

GOOD GRIEF...three weeks ?

you didnt gain it that fast...you are doing great...settle the heck down

you cant keep losing at that rate forever...it takes time

keep going
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Hmmm...maybe you are turning fat into muscle? Muscle weighs more than fat, so if you plateau for a few weeks that is usually what is happening. That always happens to me a few weeks into dieting and exercising, and then all of a sudden I start losing again.

NO!
  • trolkeeper
    trolkeeper Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I have been working on living a more healthy lifestyle (eating the right diet for my health and wellness and exercising regularly) for about three weeks. I have lost 14-15 lbs...and now I am STUCK. I am at exactly 240 lbs every time I step on the scale. I want to see that needle drop!

What am I doing wrong? I am still eating a low carb diet (because I am insulin resistant). I am still tracking my calorie intake on MFP. I am still exercising daily by walking my dogs, going to the gym three times a week, taking pilates class once a week, and doing a work-out DVD (Cardio Max from the Biggest Loser) once a week.

I feel better and I feel like I look better, but the scale is staying the same and so are my measurements. I am so frustrated! :(

i am in the exact same position u are in and frustrated as well, but I agree with what the other poster said, we have lost a lot in the first 3 weeks and should expect the weight loss to slow down some. DONT GIVE UP!!!!!!
  • brittneyceleste
    brittneyceleste Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Maybe try some strength training. It builds muscle, which increases your metabolism and helps you shed that stubborn weight.
  • mimimonster
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I guess I am just impatient. But it's funny! This morning, after I posted this whiny message, of course, I got on the scale and it said 239! YES! Even just that has made it a lot easier for me to motivate myself to keep going.

Thanks for the support. I love having this community to come to, in the hard times and the good ;)
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Wow you're discouraged becasue you lost that much weight in only 3 weeks. Thats fantastic! Keep at it girl!
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    It's so frustrating when the scale just won't move! Slower losses and plateaus will happen. You just need to learn what your body needs to break it! Switch up exercise routines, drink more water, or have a cheat day! These all help. Keep the cheats small otherwise you undo all your hard work!
    You're doing great! Keep at it, it will come in time!
  • lauriejayne813
    lauriejayne813 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have been on MFP since 1/3/12 and as of today have lost 16.2 lbs. For someone who is 51 years old I'm happy. The first few weeks the weight came off quite well, then one week I hit a wall and the scale did not move. Yea, a little discouraging since I did nothing bad and stayed within my calories and did the gym 5 days that week. Then, the next week it started to move again. Lots of people say "you didn't put it on that fast" or "if it comes off slow it will stay off" and although I know they are right, I do my best to push hard and just maybe a little more will come off. What I do know is this weekend I facebooked from the dressing room that I was a size smaller in clothes and was extatic. But what is even better is to know that I have removed alot of preservatives from my diet and am eating healthy so if one week it does not show on the scale, I know the rest of me is still happy. Take your successes and keep with it, you'll do great!:happy: You're doing great!
  • SmallerBecky
    Options
    What popped out at me was how many times you said the word "still." That could be the problem! Maybe it's time for a change-up! Adding some strength training is never a bad idea! :) Just don't keep doing the same thing over and over again. Good luck!
  • Annette1270
    Annette1270 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Keep up the great work. Believe me, I feel the same. It's tough but you're doing all the right things. Rewards will come.
  • RickMckc
    Options
    I know it's a cliche, but it's true: THIS IS A MARATHON NOT A SPRINT.

Bottom line ... if you eat less calories than your body needs for a l-o-n-g time ... you will lose lots of weight. So, think in terms of doing the right thing food/exercise-wise for ONE YEAR or TWO YEARS. It WILL work. GUARANTEED. Thousands of people here on MFP are living proof. Look at before and after pictures of some of these people and imagine that transformation taking place in your body. And then remind yourself that none of those people are any more "special" than you. If you follow the process you too will see massive changes OVER THE LONG HAUL.

For me, that's the only motivation that works when I get discouraged.

Good luck and God bless!
  • Biggipooh
    Options

Certainly not.
  • hellotina
    hellotina Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    i am right there with you. the only thing i can say is just keep pushing & try to be positive. that's what i am forcing myself to do. good lucky girly <3
  • marquesajen
    Options
    My mom had this problem so what she did was go over her calories one day, she splurged on a treat and then changed up her workouts, did a different routine at the gym and tried a new workout DVD. It helped her body break out of that rut.