Started Couch 2 5K this morning.

Options
so far I really like the program. I have an app to when I am walking it tell me when to run and what not. It is on my Ipod so it plays my music too. I did it on the tread mill this morning. i figure I can do 8 weeks on the treadmill and then start it over again outside since it is a different terrain.
I dont know.
Advice?
I am not a runner

Replies

• nmzeta
    nmzeta Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    What app are you using. I am not a runner either but am interested in doing a 5k (someday)
  • mhankosk
    mhankosk Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I started a couple weeks ago. I initially was doing it on the treadmill and then my friends wanted to join so we started going outside. I like running outside better. It's a lot cooler (now) and I don't get as bored as I typically do in the gym. The only problem I have with outside is that I am not sure how fast I am running. That is probably the only downside I have, but you have to do what feels right for you. Good luck with the program! :)
  • bellatrixed
    bellatrixed Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I just started C25K a week ago. I love it - but then, I am running in central park. I like the different terrains and the challenges the hills pose (i try to avoid them mostly, though, lol) and it's just more interesting outside.'

I think that if you try to 'start again' outside youll find yourself bored. If you do start again outside, maybe start half way through - at the first 20 minute run and see how it goes?
  • mhankosk
    mhankosk Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Oh... and I used to have the free app but I downloaded "Get Running" for $2.99 (I know... kinda pricey for an app) and I LOVE IT. The girl on it is pretty motivational! :)
  • ASPhantom
    ASPhantom Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    Good For you!

I love the C25K program. I graduated back in October 2011.
    I did the program outdoors, some on the sidewalks, some on local trails. I just couldn't make myself do the treadmill.

I am still running but, am up to 6-7 miles now. Barely made it through week 1 in August.

Keep with it and stick to the program, it works.
    Good Luck!

Also, there is a great support page on FB for the program. People check in regularly and ask and answer lots of questions.
  • sandy729
    sandy729 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Awesome...I'm on W1D3. I love it. I use the C25k free app for my ipod touch. I use an indoor track. Best of luck to you.
  • Mandykinz2008
    Mandykinz2008 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I'm in week 5 of the program and LOVE it!! Congrats! I use 5KRunner app on the iPhone and it talks you through the entire thing.

Good luck!!
  • anthrfosh11
    Options
    What app are you using. I am not a runner either but am interested in doing a 5k (someday)

Its on my Ipod and it is from zen labs
  • Julienotclever
    Options
    I'm just about to start week 3 of C25K and loving it. I do run outside though at the mo - even in the heat as have no access to a treadmill, so have a few hills to run up which just about kill me - but determined to keep going! Loving the ipod podcast to - using a British NHS one which is good. Good luck - have no advice though as i'm not a runner either :-)
  • cmduncan
    Options
    I'm also a graduate (first 5K in October 2011). The program is great and will get you going. I do most of my training inside too. Outdoors is a whole different ball-game, but either one is running, right?
  • Mummsy
    Mummsy Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    :wink: Good for you. YOU CAN DO IT! :wink:
  • katiejneely
    Options
    Love C25K! This is my second time doing it--on week 5 right now. It REALLY works!!! I alternate between the treadmill and the track at the gym. When it gets nice out I will hit the trails. Good luck!
  • konswela
    konswela Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I am a little backwards. I did my first 5k on last saturday without the help of any type of running plan, just been working out like normal occassional jog(not much) finished the race in 38:35. which i thought was pretty good for my first time and with the help of my friend who was also running with me. I heard about couch to 5k before but never used the application. I plan on doing another 5k next month and every month from this point to the summer . I started couch to 5k yesterday and love it. Just like having your own personal trainer there with you!.

I hope everyone does well. I am not a runner but i desire to be plus i heard you loose weight faster. So happy running to you all!!!
  • misssiri
    misssiri Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I graduated about 3-4 weeks ago. I run outside whenever possible and only on the treadmill if I have to (like too dark, to icy, snowing, etc). Running outside is much more interesting and I find that I push myself more when I am outside. I'm looking forward to longer, warmer days so I can run in the morning before work.

Stick with it, it's awesome!
  • jkb7389
    Options
    What exactly is C25K? I've heard of it, but never really explored it. I think I actually downloaded it, but then deleted it. Any insight would be great! :) Thanks!
  • Minnie_Moo
    Minnie_Moo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Hope this helps you out a bit......

I found an application for iTouch/iPhone/iPod on iTunes and it is called Ease into 5K by bluefin software which is very good but not free, maybe around $2.99 This app has good ratings and lets you use your music playlists from your iPod in it.

I also found a podcast on iTunes called NHS Couch to 5K which is "free" and like that one too but it doesn't let you use your own music and it has its own music built in......
  • anthrfosh11
    Options
    Thanks everyone. The reason I am doing treadmill is because I do not live in the best neighborhood. So i am doing the treadmill until I find a good place to run.
    I love my app because it plays my music not someone talking to me.
    I am hoping to run a 5k in the spring and the 5 mile turkey trot in thanksgiving. What do you think? Reasonable goals?
    My Hubby runs 4 miles on Saturdays and I would love to get out there with him.
  • wigal23
    wigal23 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I just started on Sunday as well, hoping to jog/run a 5K in mid-May. I am also working on the treadmill only for the time being. Good luck to you - we can do it!
  • CorrieV1976
    CorrieV1976 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I started yesterday on the treadmill as well.....LOVE IT!!!
  • anthrfosh11
    Options
    You guys are all awesome and I wish you the best! Please feel free to add me to we can keep each other motivated to finish this program.