all natural peanut butter??

Options
what do ya'll think about smuckers all natural peanut butter?? is is better than regular?? an aquired taste?? better for you?? let me know plz thinking of buying a small jar to test it out...

Replies

• fxst78
    fxst78 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I don't know the smuckers all natural but unless the only thing listed under ingredients is "peanuts" then get something else.

Salt is natural, vegetable oil is natural. You don't need them in your PB though!
  • SeptemberHalloween
    Options
    At the groccery I go to, we have this nifty machine that cranks out peanutbutter OR almond butter all that it is is peanuts/almonds and then you crank the lever and it instantly grinds up the nuts into a cream that you take home and refridgerate and eat c: its deff an aquired taste, its not as smooth as jar PB and its a LOT nuttier
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I buy peanut butter which is made from just peanuts, no salt, sugar or oil added.
    I find that it's not quite as yummy to eat on it's own as salty, sugary PB so it works very well for me!
    I use it in sandwiches, on muffins with banana and in porridge and it's great.
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I use any of the " natural" brands, even salted if hats all I can find.
    The stuff I grew up on is peanut flavored shortening..
  • iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    At the groccery I go to, we have this nifty machine that cranks out peanutbutter OR almond butter all that it is is peanuts/almonds and then you crank the lever and it instantly grinds up the nuts into a cream that you take home and refridgerate and eat c: its deff an aquired taste, its not as smooth as jar PB and its a LOT nuttier

Yes! I LOVE fresh ground almond/peanut butter. It's DELICIOUS. It's grittier than the salty, sugary nut butters, but it's still a thousand times better.

I'm also in love with my new found addiction: PB&CO Dark Chocolate Dreams and White Chocolate... YUM!
  • DakotaKeogh
    DakotaKeogh Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I strongly recommend finding a source of organic foods - Whole foods or something similar - and get freshly ground peanut butter. So it's peanuts until the moment you snap the grinder on. There is nothing else like it. It's high maintenance. The oil and the nut separate so you have to stir it all the time. But for nutrition and taste it can't be replaced. Also highly recommend fresh almond butter.
  • bpurc22
    bpurc22 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Peanut Butter & Co. "Smooth Operator" is all natural - 3 ingredients I believe. I tasted it this morning and it's pretty good, I'm having it for lunch. Of course it's a bit dry, but nearly all of the fat is mono or poly unsaturated and there are only 3g sugar (as opposed to 7-8 in others I've had). The fact that there is no hydrogenated oil is very good.
  • DonnaRe2012
    DonnaRe2012 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I switched to Smuckers Natural. It just takes a few days to adjust to the lack of sweetness that is in regular PB. I like to eat it with apples to get that sweetness.
  • epoint
    epoint Posts: 88
    Options
    I love the Smuckers PB, and eat a lot of it! I was making my own for a while but this is just as good. It is just peanuts and a little added salt, but I add a little salt when I make it, too, so no big deal for me. When I buy a new jar I put it in the cabinet upside down until I'm ready to open it. That makes it a bit easier to stir. Once I get it mixed to a good consistency, I store it in the fridge. That keeps it from separating again. Try it - it's good!
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    I recently found a product called pb2 (powdered peanut butter). Yes, it has salt and sugar, otherwise the first ingredient are roasted peanuts. I was surprised by how good it tasted. I had given up peanut butter entirely and it had been at least 6-8+ months since I last had any, in fact I found a jar of it in my cabinet that had expired so if that gives you any idea of how long I had gone with it.

pb2:
    serving size: 2 Tbsp
    calories per serving: 45 (fat cal 13)

the sodium only comes to 94mg (4% daily value) and the sugar is only 1g.

I think it's a fair trade to be able to enjoy peanut butter again.

I tried many other brands, organic, low fat, non fat, sugar free (tasted awful) etc. and every jar still had sugar (way more than the 1g in the pb2) and they were all still at least 180+ calories a serving, usually 1-2 tbsp.
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    I love crazy richards pb. Nothing but p-nuts, nothing added!
  • missy_1975
    missy_1975 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I recently found a product called pb2 (powdered peanut butter). Yes, it has salt and sugar, otherwise the first ingredient are roasted peanuts. I was surprised by how good it tasted. I had given up peanut butter entirely and it had been at least 6-8+ months since I last had any, in fact I found a jar of it in my cabinet that had expired so if that gives you any idea of how long I had gone with it.

pb2:

I tried many other brands, organic, low fat, non fat, sugar free (tasted awful) etc. and every jar still had sugar (way more than the 1g in the pb2) and they were all still at least 180+ calories a serving, usually 1-2 tbsp.

I really want to buy this stuff, but it isn't available in Europe and they don't ship world wide! Aggggh! :grumble: I'm visiting the states next month and am definately going to try and get some to bring home. How sad am I? Am going on holiday and I'm excited at the prospect of buying peanut butter powder! :laugh:
  • I Love It! There is no sugar added & the oil you see (or may see) is oils from the peanuts. I have been buying Organic Peanut Butter for 8 years or more. You will need to take a little time to mix the oil into the jar. The oil deters people I think. Peanut oil is very good for you so don't pour it out. I buy this brand when I run out of the brand I buy at Costco.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I love the natural stuff, I can't tolerate Jif, Skippy, et al because it tastes like sugar spread. Blech. I do like my PB salted, so my PB's ingredient list is: Peanuts, salt. That's it. It is pretty inexpensive if you have a Whole Foods near you. The big container of their house brand PB (365 brand) is fairly cheap.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    The most popular British one is Sun-Pat which is 95% peanuts, with a little added sugar and salt and oil.

I don't eat it often, but when I do, I buy peanut butter that's 100% peanuts and to me it doesn't taste much different at all.

The most important thing when buying pure peanut butter is to buy it from a manufacturer that's smart enough to give you a big space at the top of the jar so the oil doesn't go everywhere when you try and stir it in.
  • RosieB405
    RosieB405 Posts: 150 Member
    Options

pb2:

I really want to buy this stuff, but it isn't available in Europe and they don't ship world wide! Aggggh! :grumble: I'm visiting the states next month and am definately going to try and get some to bring home. How sad am I? Am going on holiday and I'm excited at the prospect of buying peanut butter powder! :laugh:

The nearest place to me that sells it is an hour away so I took a trip last month and bought 12 jars
  • 30yearssincebikini
    Options
    Smucker's Natural is awesome! It's all I eat. The only ingredients are peanuts and less than 1% salt. You have to stir it up when you first open it, as the oil separates from the peanut, but then you refrigerate it and it keeps it creamy consistency. (You only have to stir it up once) I love it, I eat it on apples all the time.
  • midwifekelley2350
    midwifekelley2350 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    the smucker's brand isn't my favorite one but i will eat it. the kroger brand natural peanut butter (both crunchy and creamy) are better consistency. i store them upside down in my pantry until i open them and mix them and then i store them in the fridge.
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Smucker's All Natural - Chunky is by far my favorite brand of PB. I tried Better n' Peanut Butter before, which is definitely a good substitute if you're looking for low calorie, low fat peanut butter. But, it can't beat the real thing! Smucker's all natural (I'm like 99% sure) listed ingredients are "Peanuts" lol. Love that stuff! :D I wish I could buy it all the time but my hubby and son do not like it at all. :(
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    The most popular British one is Sun-Pat which is 95% peanuts, with a little added sugar and salt and oil.

I don't eat it often, but when I do, I buy peanut butter that's 100% peanuts and to me it doesn't taste much different at all.

The most important thing when buying pure peanut butter is to buy it from a manufacturer that's smart enough to give you a big space at the top of the jar so the oil doesn't go everywhere when you try and stir it in.

Storing the jar on its side or upside down also makes it easier to stir.