Sansone DVD/Soreness

Options
Hi All,

I posted this yesterday in the Fitness and Exercise category, but got no replies.....so will try here now. I know this board is more active than the other ones.

I have a question......I recently purchased a Leslie Sansone DVD, and walked twice -- three miles the first time, one the second (and did other miles on my treadmill).

Anyway, the fronts and sides of my shins are terribly sore, and I am wondering if this is due to the way I walk when following the DVD. Walking (outside/down hallways/on a treadmill) means that I strike my foot heel first. However, when using the walking in place with Leslie Sansone, I strike toe first, more like marching.

Has anyone else experienced this? Does it go away if you keep following the DVD or do I need to just stick to the treadmill? I love the way she works out your arms, adds stretch bands, incorporates kicks, etc, so I hate to give up on this exercise.....but my legs are 'hurting units.' LOL

Thanks for your input,
Kaye

Replies

• cwalters1540
    cwalters1540 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I used her videos when I first started working out and always had sore feet afterwards. I never had pain in my legs, though, just my feet because, as you said, it's more like marching than walking. Are you stretching really well before and after? I get pain in the front of my shins when I walk around my neighborhood and a good stretch afterwards always helps (and sometimes when I stop at intersections I pick my foot up and rotate my ankle which feel fabulous!). Have you tried using her arm exercises while you work out on the treadmill? Maybe you could try that if stretching doesn't help. Good luck!
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I think it's a matter of what you are used to. I had the opposite problem. I started with Leslie Sansone and found outdoor walking hurt my shins when I started that. Leslie actually made my hips sore from those side steps, but that went away quickly.

Did the dvd you used happen to have jogging intervals? That would definitely do it for the shins.

Try adding in more walking forward and backwards to her dvd instead of strictly marching in place. That way you are using more of the motion you are used to. Also, stick with 1 mile at a time until the soreness goes away, then try working up to 2 or 3 miles.