VERY pear-shaped! Anyway to balance it out?

Options
Hi everyone! I'm an incredibly pear shaped girl...34-26-39. I've got the hips of a 4-6 and a 32B cup...it gets really annoying when I'm shopping. I'm doing the 30DS, walking/jogging, and doing Jillian's Killer Buns and Thighs, but I only seem to really be losing in my upper body (where I really don't want lose anymore!) Any suggestions?

Replies

• Finney88
    Finney88 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I hate being that girl, but:
    Bump

I'm hoping someone else has worked with this issue!
  • zizzybizzy
    zizzybizzy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue and this may seem weird but what I've found helps is using a bra that makes me bustier. It really balances things out and give me a nice hourglass. Your pictures are beautiful and I think you look so fit and in shape..you don't look pear shaped at all!
  • cydonian
    cydonian Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I'm looking at your profile picture and you are lovely! There's not a lot you can do to balance out in terms of exercise. You'll lose weight from where your body chooses to lose it. If you're pear shaped in the first place, your body obviously slims your upper body more than the bottom. We actually have very similar measurements and I totally feel you on finding clothes. I'm currently doing light weight lifting on my upper arms to help tone up and make me look more even, and I am shooting for 5-7lbs. of weight loss before I start more weight training.

You can help a little with clothing. I find that choosing tops that have stronger shoulders and embellishment of some kind makes me look broader up top, and then I'll accentuate my waist with a belt and it appears like I'm more hourglass than I am. I also find that long, pendant style necklaces elongate my torso and make everything more slim and even overall. I think the key for you is to dress for your shape and pick pieces that flatter and not hide it... embrace the pear :)
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm an incredibly pear shaped girl...34-26-39. I've got the hips of a 4-6 and a 32B cup...it gets really annoying when I'm shopping. I'm doing the 30DS, walking/jogging, and doing Jillian's Killer Buns and Thighs, but I only seem to really be losing in my upper body (where I really don't want lose anymore!) Any suggestions?
    Stubborn fat is stubborn. More than likely, you have not on excess fat on your lower half, but increase muscle mass as well as slightly larger bone structure. Nothing you can do but keep working hard to improve body composition. I think you look great, but I understand your concern.
  • Finney88
    Finney88 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    My lower half increasing muscle and not decreasing in size would explain a lot...maybe my lower half can't get much smaller, lol. I guess I've got booty models like J. Lo and Kim Kardashian as images to strive towards!
  • theoneandonlybrookie
    Options
    I understand that you're concerned, and I certainly don't want to make you feel like that isn't valid BUT I want to chime in and say that I also think you look great! Your pictures show you to be very fit, toned, and proportionate. You're rockin' that bikini! :smile:
  • Hyperspace
    Options
    Upper body weight training can be very helpful. I'm also somewhat "pear shaped" but when I began weight training (back in the Paleozoic) I got more muscle in my shoulders and upper arms, which helped balance out the look. And training your pectoral muscles gives a lift to the chest.
    Before weight training, I always had trouble finding tops that were narrow enough in the shoulder not to fall off, but weight training fixed that. I don't weight train anywhere near the amount I used to, but I have never lost the base of the muscle I developed in my 20's.

Don't worry about "bulking up'' like a man. Unless you spend hours and hours at the gym like a bodybuilder, you won't.
  • Spinelli2288
    Spinelli2288 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    You look fine honey! When I was at my perfect weight, the weight I'm working to get back down to, I was a 36-24-43. I have always been a full C cup and they never grow or shrink. Love what you have, you look amazing. :happy:
  • Erica0718
    Erica0718 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I think you look great in your pic! I am very pear shaped and hold all my weight in my butt & thighs
  • SimplyShanRunning
    SimplyShanRunning Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    Embrace the body you have

You look amazing :flowerforyou:
  • amandacochran15
    Options
    I am also pear shaped. Well hour glass heading to pear. I think all 11 pounds that I have lost, have been upper body. I do hear from people further in their journey that weights really helped the chest and shoulder region. I am counting on that as well as tightening dowstairs will balance everything!

Good luck to us big bottom girls :)
  • catherine4211
    catherine4211 Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I don't think you are pear-shaped at all.
  • rocketmouse
    rocketmouse Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I'm also pear-shaped and I second the person who said to focus on sculpting your shoulders, back and chest! That will even you out. Plus you'll look amazing in strapless tops. /girl
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    Upper body weight training can be very helpful. I'm also somewhat "pear shaped" but when I began weight training (back in the Paleozoic) I got more muscle in my shoulders and upper arms, which helped balance out the look. And training your pectoral muscles gives a lift to the chest.
    Before weight training, I always had trouble finding tops that were narrow enough in the shoulder not to fall off, but weight training fixed that. I don't weight train anywhere near the amount I used to, but I have never lost the base of the muscle I developed in my 20's.

Don't worry about "bulking up'' like a man. Unless you spend hours and hours at the gym like a bodybuilder, you won't.
    Completely agree with this. I'm even more pear-y than you at 32-26-37 and barely an A cup. Most of it is just my bone structure...I can see the tips of my hip bones even when standing up and my body fat is only about 21%. But since I started NROLW in September I look a little more balanced with some muscle in my arms and shoulders. I definitely don't look bulky though!
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    You may as well learn to love it, losing weight never changes your basic body shape. A pear is a pear at 350 pounds or 125 pounds.
  • runmypretties
    runmypretties Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain, weigh drops off my top half a lot easier than my bottom half :(
    I am trying to lose a stone and a half as I want to get REALLY toned (am 30 this year so I guess you can call it my final fling with fitness! ) have been a 10-12 (12 on the bottom usually) for a while now so decided to do something about it.
    Am going for a more high energy bottom half workout - so good old aerobics that targets legs and bum with squats etc and then as others have said look more at weight training to increase the size and tone of your upper body.
    I am guessing that my trunk will always have a bit more junk than ideal unless I starve myself (never going to happen :P )
    Good luck!
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    You don't look pear shaped to me. SO whats the problem? Need a little attention? :wink:
  • sarad777
    sarad777 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I've got similar problems. My things are increasing in muscle, therefore increasing in size. My upper half is staying the same. I have actually gained 2 pounds in muscle. I'm positive. My legs are larger and stronger. My waist is the same size. I think my measurements would be 31-26.5-36

It causes a problem for wearing pants for sure. Thighs are all tight and waists are all big. It's very discouraging, even though I am much stronger than a couple months ago.

My husband says that I had NO muscle on my legs, therefore any exercise I'm doing is increasing the muscle, therefore increasing size and weight.

Ugghhhh
    My lower half increasing muscle and not decreasing in size would explain a lot...maybe my lower half can't get much smaller, lol. I guess I've got booty models like J. Lo and Kim Kardashian as images to strive towards!
  • Karmynzahringer
    Karmynzahringer Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Seriously I would give up my apple shape for your pear shape any day! I would love to have a waistline, and my legs and hips are too thin for my waist. I wear a 36c on the top half (d when I am heavier) and still look waist heavy. I would gladly give up a little of my boobs to get a butt and waist!!
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Ditto on the sculpting the upper body. I am 33-26.5-36, and pants always gap at the waist. Now that I wear jeans to work, it's not so much a problem.