IRS REFUND

Options
2»

Replies

• MissO﹠A
    MissO﹠A Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Due to the first-time home buyer's credit last year along with foreign income and energy credits, our refund was held and scrutinized for ... a long, long time. They paid us close to $200 in interest on top of our refund. The IRS hold music was burned into my very psyche.

This year is much easier and straightforward; I expect they'll take even longer to process it. (Did it in 4 or so hours along with our state taxes and mailed it in yesterday.)

If a state the likes of Illinois can offer free electronic filing to *everyone*, why can the Department of Treasury not do the same?
  • imdelishus
    imdelishus Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Yeah. A co-worker and I e-filed on the same day. Said I would get mine Feb 1st. That didn't happen. Then the IRS site said I'd have it by Feb 3rd. That didn't happen either. I checked again and it said Feb 8th. So, we'll see, I guess.
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    I filed through HRblock.com around the 28th of the month and according to the irs website I should get getting our refund direct deposited tomorrow. I never believe them until I see the money but yeah. Tomorrow.
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    I was sure I was getting audited because like 6 years ago I did and when I filed online nothing would come up on turbotax. Well same **** happened this year BUT I just got an email saying it's going through.

YEEEEESSSSSSSSS
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I efiled 1/31 and ours should be in the bank tomorrow. Got our state refund Monday.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I filed on 1/25 and I am still waiting. I did a status check with the IRS website and they said I would have it by the 2/14. I'm waiting with baited breath here because I am planning to use it to put a down payment on a house and closing is on the 2/22. They need to come on with it so I can sleep peacefully... DAMMIT!!

Congrats on your home buying, Thats a smart move!!!:)

Thanks. I'm excited!!
  • Queenb62303
    Options
    i heard paper checks are behind about 2 weeks from the expected date... i do direct deposit and usually get it in about a week...
  • Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Dh did ours yesterday. Said we'd have money with in a week. We'll see.
  • kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    you might check the irs.gov website. Some types of returns were held this year if you filed early and fell into one of the catagories. if you search delayed processing on the irs.gov site you will be able to tell if you fell into one of the catagories.
    You can also use the "where's my refund?" tool at the site to get an idea when you might expect the refund.
  • MsGreatful
    MsGreatful Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I filled with Taxslayer single no dependents on 1/18 WMR first said refund by 2/21 then changed and said i should have my refund today....NOT. The WMR sites updates on Wednesdays ...til tommorow in will remain humble :-)
  • solpwr
    solpwr Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Stock Brokers are not obligated to provide consolidated 1099's until end of February on taxable accounts. Until I get my 1099, I can't complete my return.
  • ThisisMiss
    ThisisMiss Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    This was my first time having to file taxes and I was really surprised to get anything. I work freelance and money doesnt come out of my pay for taxes as I work on a temporary contract basis for my writing. I qualify for a ton of deductions, but since I don't pay anything out, I thought they could only equal it out to zero to pay at the most. I am hoping its not some kind of glitch because I already spent the money in my head for some driving lessons so I can get a real job!
  • Amberelise40
    Amberelise40 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I efiled on the 29th and got it yesterday, the 6th. My boyfriend efiled the same day and still hasn't gotten it. It's so weird. We both did 1040EZ. He went through turbo tax, and I went through HR Block. He paid, I didn't. Ha.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    Well I just checked again with the IRS. They moved the date up from 2/14 to 2/8 so hopefully I'll be good to go.
  • Kolohe71
    Kolohe71 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in loaning the govenment money interest free. Which is essentially what you are doing by overpaying on taxes and then receiving a refund. My goal every year is to owe money, and if I planned right it should be around $500.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    I don't believe in loaning the govenment money interest free. Which is essentially what you are doing by overpaying on taxes and then receiving a refund. My goal every year is to owe money, and if I planned right it should be around $500.

You know it really depends on your circumstances. I paid in almost nothing, but I get earned income credit and I am a single mom with two kids so I'm getting back a lot. It just depends on your circumstances. I could easily claim exempt but then I don't receive any credits.
  • KPaden1221
    Options
    we filed on feb 1st and had our last week... there was a delay.. but i think they have everything worked out now.. you should be getting it soon. you can track it.. and see when you should get it.. just google track my federal tax return
  • Bahet
    Bahet Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I prefer a refund of about what we have taken out in Dec. It's an interest free loan but really only for a month or 2. It's not like you'd really make any interest if you kept it in the back for those months. Plus, if you owe more than $500 you are subject to interest and penalties. That's totally foolish to have to deal with.
  • Kolohe71
    Kolohe71 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I prefer a refund of about what we have taken out in Dec. It's an interest free loan but really only for a month or 2. It's not like you'd really make any interest if you kept it in the back for those months. Plus, if you owe more than $500 you are subject to interest and penalties. That's totally foolish to have to deal with.
    A (very) small refund would be acceptable. It's those that regularly get back $3K or more that need to re-evaluate what they're doing. $3000/12=$250 a month. Which can you put to better use? $250 in your pocket every month, or a windfall of $3000. If you prefer the $3000 windfall just send me $250 a month, every month, between Jan & Dec. I'll take that money, invest it, earn some income on it, and then return the whole ($3000) original amount (minus my earnings) too you in Mid March.

And, BTW, you only pay interest and penalties if you don't file (and pay) your taxes by April 15th.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    Mine came today! Woohoo!!