Eating Whole Foods

Options

Replies

• scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I eat mostly whole foods, although I'm ok with limited processed foods. When I do eat processed foods, I try to avoid added sugar, chemicals, preservatives, nitrites, artificial coloring or flavoring, HFCS and MSG. No fast food for me. This is what works for me..
    ^ This for me as well.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options

so I stick to this rule: if it has ingredients I can't pronounce, I won't buy it or eat it. I don't need/want chemicals in my food!

So much ignorance in living that way...
  • kbw414
    kbw414 Posts: 194
    Options
    I eat whole foods and no processed foods except for the brown rice noodles I'm guilty of eating from time to time (I eat gluten free). I'm also an organic "locavore" (I try to get most of my foods from my own community which is a great place to live in that regard). This has been the best way for me to lose weight. I lose ten lbs here and there and forgo dieting for awhile, but I never, never gain my weight back.
  • simplyeater
    simplyeater Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    <raises hand> Me! I try to eat mostly whole foods, although I have processed foods in moderation occasionally. Probably average 80% whole (depending on your definition). Glad you are enjoying your new lifestyle!
  • ShapeUpSidney
    Options
    It's really laughable seeing how many people have bought into the "organic" hype. You guys need to google "cyanogenic glucosides" and get real.

Sad to know that so many people are forking over 4x the amount of money for "organic" mac and cheese, when there are "toxins" in so many plain normal foods, like potatoes, lima beans, and cherry pits. It just doesn't make any sense.
  • fisherlassie
    fisherlassie Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Yes! I haven't read the book but whole foods work for me.
  • BeesKnees181
    BeesKnees181 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I try to be as whole foodie as much as is possible.
  • TheMrsFitnessGeek
    TheMrsFitnessGeek Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I have been eating "clean" for almost two years. It works for me and I love it!
  • calabrdm
    calabrdm Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Yes... I began eating completely clean on the first of this year. (Except for this past weekend). I am losing my love handles that have been the bane of my existence forever as a result. I feel like I was spinning my wheels for years and now my working out shows more. I also feel like I am no longer feelig hungry all the time. Eating 5 to 6 meals a day is really working for me. My husband has really noticed a change in what I deem "my trouble" areas. He noticed a marked change without asking.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Never read or heard of the book, but yes, most of my meals start out as whole foods.

I almost never eat fast food, sometimes eat processed foods (such as the Kashi steam meal I'm eating right now), don't like soda and eat processed sugary foods (cookies, cakes etc.) every now and then I mostly eat foods I prepare from scratch because I love to cook and think my food tastes awesome. I do sometimes use canned beans or tomatoes in my cooking.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    I have started to try but don't have many around me who eats that way and when I say what I have ate I get weird comments.

What do you eat that they think is weird? I mostly eat whole foods, but my diet is still pretty normal.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    What is considered "whole foods"? I get the processed part, but is steak or fish considered a whole food?

I would consider those whole foods. Ground meat, probably not. Cured, certainly not. But steaks, filets, chops, etc., yes.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    It's really laughable seeing how many people have bought into the "organic" hype. You guys need to google "cyanogenic glucosides" and get real.

Sad to know that so many people are forking over 4x the amount of money for "organic" mac and cheese, when there are "toxins" in so many plain normal foods, like potatoes, lima beans, and cherry pits. It just doesn't make any sense.

I find your post confusing. I read through all the posts but didn't see organic mentioned anywhere. Is that a reference to something in the book?

Organic mac and cheese would not be "whole". It would be a processed food.
  • sn0wd0gg
    sn0wd0gg Posts: 59 Member
    Options

so I stick to this rule: if it has ingredients I can't pronounce, I won't buy it or eat it. I don't need/want chemicals in my food!

I dunno - I think it's a fairly good rule of thumb for the most part.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

In living what way? Eating processed/chemical foods or not?
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    We love to cook, so we end up eating mostly whole foods anyhow. I still have easy mac when I feel like it.

I really hate the "ingredients I can't pronounce" comment though. There are plenty of natural things that will kill you (amagdylan in apple seeds, hemlock, several species of mushrooms, large quantities of nutmeg, mountain lions) and plenty of natural things with names you cannot pronounce. It just seems like a really shallow way to think about food.

It's not really a shallow way to think about food......it's more of a way to weed out the bad when I'm shopping at the grocery store. Look, if there are 2 different types of yogurt on the shelf and one has added chemicals and preservatives and one doesn't......why not go with the one that doesn't? Then I can be sure I'm not getting anything that isn't good for my body.

I am very aware that there are things in nature that are dangerous and not good for my body. I just use that general rule to cut down on the stuff the food processing companies want me to buy.

*Edit - I love to cook and I consider myself a pretty good cook at that. I like to experiment, try new food, new flavors, etc. I read about food all the time.......not just cookbooks, but articles about food, books about food history, food processing, and the food/human relationship. I am not ignorant about food. It's a subject that I am passionate about and I take pride in the food I buy, cook, and serve to the people I love. Sorry, just needed to clarify that!
  • ShapeUpSidney
    Options

In living what way? Eating processed/chemical foods or not?

In using a completely irrational, nonsensical way to determine what foods are good for you or not...
  • ShapeUpSidney
    Options

I find your post confusing. I read through all the posts but didn't see organic mentioned anywhere. Is that a reference to something in the book?

you can demonize food that isnt organic or food that is processed, and it's all part of the same fearmongering mindset that is based on marketing, and not grounded in fact

There are many toxins in perfectly normal, natural whole foods. Nutmeg is a toxin. Apple seeds contain toxins. Potatoes contain alkali poisons, especially when they start to green.

I don't disagree with the lifestyle of using local, whole, fresh produce and meats...I just find the rationale that some people use to be completely silly.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that was an eye opening read.

I try to eat unprocessed foods as much as possible, but I'm an 'everything in moderation' type.

Same here. I eat mainly home cooked foods made from scratch 95% of the time. However, I am only human :tongue:
  • bcattoes
    Options

you can demonize food that isnt organic or food that is processed, and it's all part of the same fearmongering mindset that is based on marketing, and not grounded in fact

There are many toxins in perfectly normal, natural whole foods. Nutmeg is a toxin. Apple seeds contain toxins. Potatoes contain alkali poisons, especially when they start to green.

I don't disagree with the lifestyle of using local, whole, fresh produce and meats...I just find the rationale that some people use to be completely silly.

Okay. But I still don't see what that has to do with this thread.