Fighting unnecessary hunger!

Options
Hey guys!
I wanted to ask for advice on how to fight and overcome wanting to eat when you're really not hungry.
Everyone's answers would greatly be appreciated.
Thanks in advance!
-Gen. <3

Replies

• Kat5688
    Kat5688 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I often can't control myself, but I found that sometimes a cup of tea with a strong flavour (peppermint, strawberry, vanilla.. whatever flavour does not go well with the food you crave) helps me fighting the urge to eat when I'm not hungry.
  • ShelbyBeck414
    Options
    I too often fall for 'boredom eating'....wouldn't it be fab if there was a 'switch' we could flip to STOP urges to eat. :D
  • CynthiaElise
    CynthiaElise Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    The most challenging days for me are Saturday & Sunday, if I even have a couple of minutes to myself I feel the need to eat. This past Sunday it almost did me in so I took a second to think about why I'm turing to food and I realized it was because I was bored - so I thought of activities I could do that appealed to me at the time. Knowing I had to take my pup for a walk later that evening I decided to leave at that moment and took her for a longer walk than usual. I popped in my ear-buds and went on my way! This helped tremendously! I got home and the urge was gone! So I grabbed a cup of tea & the book I'm reading at the moment and got lost :) Sometimes thinking of an activity ie: walking your dog, brushing your teeth, picking up a good book, or calling up a friend for a chat helps busy your mind! Do this often enough and that habit of mindless eating will start to diminish! Good luck :)
  • binariiangel
    binariiangel Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I munch on ice when I need/want something to eat, but not really hungry. It helps you get all your water in for the day as well as keep you from snacking too much. Another great thing is to snack on sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds. Bananas also help you feel fuller longer, and cut down on your snacking needs. Hope all these tips help!
  • stephstar15
    Options
    The most challenging days for me are Saturday & Sunday, if I even have a couple of minutes to myself I feel the need to eat. This past Sunday it almost did me in so I took a second to think about why I'm turing to food and I realized it was because I was bored - so I thought of activities I could do that appealed to me at the time. Knowing I had to take my pup for a walk later that evening I decided to leave at that moment and took her for a longer walk than usual. I popped in my ear-buds and went on my way! This helped tremendously! I got home and the urge was gone! So I grabbed a cup of tea & the book I'm reading at the moment and got lost :) Sometimes thinking of an activity ie: walking your dog, brushing your teeth, picking up a good book, or calling up a friend for a chat helps busy your mind! Do this often enough and that habit of mindless eating will start to diminish! Good luck :)

Perfect answer!
  • chirichardson
    chirichardson Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    My wanting to eat because of boredom usually happens at night. So, I just go to bed. There are some nights when I'm in bed by 8-8:30.

I've read that if you drink 1 glass of water every hour, it will make you feel full.
    Do some situps.
  • ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    water
  • katsmit2
    Options
    I'm struggling with this also - always have really.
  • kcmomof2
    kcmomof2 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Gum and water
  • lavendergirll
    lavendergirll Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I brush my teeth. I know that sounds funny but if I am not really hungry and just bored; I brush my teeth. That will hold me for a while!
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    do push ups.
  • Natley
    Natley Posts: 58 Member
    Options

Perfect answer!
  • maryjay51
    Options
    if im sitting around the house and watching tv or working from home i am sooooo full of temtation to eat crap ... its crazy.. so i try to either workout when i watch a show or get the heck out of the house so im not around everything. i have the luxury to work via laptop so i take myself to a local coffee shop sometimes and work there.. and many times i go to the gym
  • Leafeh
    Leafeh Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    chew on a bubblegum or brush my teeth. strong peppermint flavor stops you from putting anything in your mouth for a while. as well as finding something to do, I usually boredom eat in front of the TV so alas I try to find something else to do.
  • yodapooper
    Options
    I find that the only and I mean ONLY way to stop me from eating when I'm bored is go shopping!! Yes, u heard me right, SHOPPING! If I keep busy just looking even if I don't buy then I get out of the mood to binge eat. Try it sometime. Good luck
    hugs,
    sharon:flowerforyou:
  • madamepsychosis
    madamepsychosis Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're drinking enough water. Sometimes you're merely dehydrated, rather than hungry, so a cool glass of water can do the trick. Brushing your teeth or chewing gum also helps.

If the unnecessary urges to eat are brought about by boredom, do something you enjoy that will distract you from food. Someone above me suggested walking the dog, which I think is a great idea, but if you don't have one, a brisk walk by yourself or with a friend/relative will work just as well. Read a book or do something that engrosses you.

If you do all of these things and are still hungry, it might be that you just need to eat a bit more. Stock your fridge and cupboards with healthy snacks so that if you do want to eat something, you won't feel as bad. Bananas are great for feeling fuller, as are most fruits. A handful of nuts and/or seeds also work wonders and usually have the same amounts of calories as a small piece of chocolate, but will keep you much fuller.
  • yager8725
    yager8725 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I have that PROBLEM bad!! Here are a few that really work for me. coffee, tea, peppermint candy 1 brachs disk!!!, brushing teeth (really helps for cravings).
  • yentess
    yentess Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    My friend who is a nutritionist told me when I feel hungry even though I have eaten enough to do about 10 minutes of excersize. The blood will rush to your muscles and away from your stomach. Also when I eat I make sure I always have protein, fiber and healthy fats like avocado and raw nuts. That combo helps keep me satisfied until my next meal. Raw veggies are always good too, because they take a while to chew and have very few calories.
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    I agree with Gum and Water!
  • ashleigh2311
    ashleigh2311 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I brush my teeth. I know that sounds funny but if I am not really hungry and just bored; I brush my teeth. That will hold me for a while!
    ME TOO. Totally works. Toothpaste and food don't mix so stops me eating for at least an hour.