Exercising, No Weight Loss?

Options
I’ve been dieting for a little over a month now. I’ve lost 10 pounds so far. I’ve been exercising the whole way through, but nothing too crazy. Last week, I started running, and I’ve been running at least a mile a day, sometimes more. I thought I’d see some weight loss due to the running – I only lost a pound last week, but I actually didn’t lose anything this week. :( At least I didn’t gain, but it’s still frustrating! I’m staying under 1200 calories per day, unless I run – then I eat some of the calories back if I’m hungry, but I’m not netting over 1200.

My boyfriend is telling me I am starting to look slimmer, and his sister told me the same thing yesterday, without even knowing I was dieting or exercising. :) My boyfriend is really honest and straightforward, so I turn to him a lot to gauge how well I’m doing, because I know he’ll tell me what he truly sees. He told me he thinks I’m doing great and I should keep it up! His theory is that my weight may be staying the same because I am (hopefully) losing fat, but building muscle from the running. Any thoughts?

Replies

• mrtrik
    mrtrik Posts: 31
    Options
    Remember running doesn't burn all that many calories. I mean it's a great thing to do... but if you are running 7-10 miles a week, that's what... 800-1200 calories?

When you run you also tend to retain more water (assuming you are hydrating enough). Just stick with it and stick to the calories. Many times people assume they burn more than they do, and can eat more than they think. Even many people who train for marathons end up gaining weight during their training...

Running is not hurting your fat burn, trust me. Just keep counting those calories and you will be fine.
  • robinpickles
    robinpickles Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I just came off of the best workout (40 min a day, 5 days a week) month of my life, and I did not "lose" an ounce! I did however loose inches... =) I just stopped weighing myself.....its a downer, and I don't care what the damn thing says... its about me, feeling good.. moving, and eating healthy!!!

(ok ok.. so superbowl sunday was BAD! hehehehe ) back on track today! =)
  • lwoods34
    lwoods34 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    First off, as a runner myself, I can tell you that running DOES burn alot of calories, but it all depends on your intensity. It all depends on how fast you are running, if you are running outside vs inside, incline or no incline...if you are running steady state or doing interval training. It can all vary...for example I can run for 1 hr and burn 800 calories. Your calorie burn will depend on alot of different variables.

Congrats on the weight loss so far. Remember, its a process and will take some time...we can put weight on very easily but it takes sometimes twice as long to lose it. I cannot see your diary to look at your food or exercise logs but you want to make sure that you are fueling your body and not starving your body in order to lose weight. As a society, we have this impression that if we eat less calories and workout more that we will lose weight. Yes you will lose weight but for how long? How long will you be able to keep the weight off? Wouldnt you want to eat more food and know that you can still lose weight AND know that you are fueling your body in the process? All Im saying is just make sure that you are eating the proper amount of calories, watch your sodium content and drink plenty of water.

There is nothing wrong with losing weight at a slower rate because in the long run you will benefit more from it and are more likely to KEEP the weight off and not gain it back if you do it slowly. But hang in there; it will happen.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I’ve been dieting for a little over a month now. I’ve lost 10 pounds so far. I’ve been exercising the whole way through, but nothing too crazy. Last week, I started running, and I’ve been running at least a mile a day, sometimes more. I thought I’d see some weight loss due to the running – I only lost a pound last week, but I actually didn’t lose anything this week. :( At least I didn’t gain, but it’s still frustrating! I’m staying under 1200 calories per day, unless I run – then I eat some of the calories back if I’m hungry, but I’m not netting over 1200.

My boyfriend is telling me I am starting to look slimmer, and his sister told me the same thing yesterday, without even knowing I was dieting or exercising. :) My boyfriend is really honest and straightforward, so I turn to him a lot to gauge how well I’m doing, because I know he’ll tell me what he truly sees. He told me he thinks I’m doing great and I should keep it up! His theory is that my weight may be staying the same because I am (hopefully) losing fat, but building muscle from the running. Any thoughts?

Could be a number of things... you could be retaining a bit more water due to the increased muscle activity. You could be eating too little which could be slowing your rate of loss. I highly doubt you are building muscle on such a low cal intake, at least not enough to make any noticeable difference (either visually or on the scale).
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    Remember running doesn't burn all that many calories. I mean it's a great thing to do... but if you are running 7-10 miles a week, that's what... 800-1200 calories?

When you run you also tend to retain more water (assuming you are hydrating enough). Just stick with it and stick to the calories. Many times people assume they burn more than they do, and can eat more than they think. Even many people who train for marathons end up gaining weight during their training...

Running is not hurting your fat burn, trust me. Just keep counting those calories and you will be fine.

What??? The first statement is TOTALLY wrong. The rest is pretty good.

Calorie burns are based on effort. If you walk 1 mile you won't burn nearly as much as you run. I burned 1200 cals the other day in a single run. Running most definitely can burn a ton of cals.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options

Some replies have mentioned fluid being retained and this was the first thing that crossed my mind when reading your post, so do not get disheartened - at all!

WTG on starting running, it will not be long before you will up the distance or want to try interval training, both will result in more calories being burned. Interval training is excellent for burning calories and can often result in some good weight loss.

The main thing is, continue, just do not give up!
  • ashleynicol3
    ashleynicol3 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I know I'm not burning a ton of calories. I use the iMapMyRun app on my iPhone to get an estimate of the calories I've burned, and since I'm only running a mile or two, it's usually no more than 200 or so calories, but I'm not always eating those back. I know it's not a lot, and I'm still pretty slow, but I'm running for around 15-20 minutes per day. My short-term goal is to work my way up to 30 minutes, no walking. I'm running outside, and trying to vary my route, so I experience different hills, terrain, etc. I guess I'll just keep going and watching what I eat! I'll make my diary public in the meantime. Thanks!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    The body's adaptation to running will cause some weight gain. How much depends on how much and how long you train.

- Increased blood volume
    - Increased storage of glycogen and water in the muscle cells.

Those first two adaptation occur fairly rapidly.

In the longer term your body build more capillaries to carry oxygen to the muscles and increases mitocondrial density in the muscle cells. This also adds some weight.

All of these "weight gain" changes are good and are what happens when you get fit.
  • ashleynicol3
    ashleynicol3 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    The body's adaptation to running will cause some weight gain. How much depends on how much and how long you train.

- Increased blood volume
    - Increased storage of glycogen and water in the muscle cells.

Those first two adaptation occur fairly rapidly.

In the longer term your body build more capillaries to carry oxygen to the muscles and increases mitocondrial density in the muscle cells. This also adds some weight.

All of these "weight gain" changes are good and are what happens when you get fit.

That's good information. Thanks!
  • ritmeyer
    ritmeyer Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I'm a runner. Last summer I when I was training for a half marathon I didn't lose a lb...but I lost a dress size. I have played around, and for me I lose more lbs/inches if I eat most, if not all of my excercise calories. Its hard to wrap your brain around when you are in "lose weight" mode, but the more I fuel myself the higher my intensity levels are during my workouts and the better I look feel. Plus, losing 10 lbs in one month is alot!! Slow and steady wins the race
  • souzadavid
    Options

Calorie burns are based on effort. If you walk 1 mile you won't burn nearly as much as you run. I burned 1200 cals the other day in a single run. Running most definitely can burn a ton of cals.

What's so wrong with an 800-1200 calorie burn estimate for 7-10 miles? Seems legit to me. Let me ask you guys this, how do you know the exact calories you burn for a run, walk, bike, swim, or whatever? I'm a runner, biker, and swimmer and make guesses at this calories burn multiple times a day.

Keep sticking with it ashleynicol3 and do the best you can at guessing calories in/out.
  • nyctraveler
    nyctraveler Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I know I'm not burning a ton of calories. I use the iMapMyRun app on my iPhone to get an estimate of the calories I've burned, and since I'm only running a mile or two, it's usually no more than 200 or so calories, but I'm not always eating those back. I know it's not a lot, and I'm still pretty slow, but I'm running for around 15-20 minutes per day. My short-term goal is to work my way up to 30 minutes, no walking. I'm running outside, and trying to vary my route, so I experience different hills, terrain, etc. I guess I'll just keep going and watching what I eat! I'll make my diary public in the meantime. Thanks!

It's perfectly ok to run as much as you can and then to walk for another 15-20 minutes to get a solid 40-45 minutes of a work out in. It will leave you with ~400 cals burned, which is more significant for weight loss... JUST KEEP MOVING! great job so far!
  • jacksonpt
    Options

What's so wrong with an 800-1200 calorie burn estimate for 7-10 miles? Seems legit to me. Let me ask you guys this, how do you know the exact calories you burn for a run, walk, bike, swim, or whatever? I'm a runner, biker, and swimmer and make guesses at this calories burn multiple times a day.

Keep sticking with it ashleynicol3 and do the best you can at guessing calories in/out.

I was referring to the "running doesn't burn many cals" statement. I guess what one person considers a lot of cals another person might not. I burn ~1200 cals doing 9 miles in 90 minutes... for me, that's a lot.

I have a HRM to measure cals burned. It's still ultimately an estimation of cals burned, but it's more accurate than MFP or whatever else.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options

I have an HRM too, and I tend to burn roughly the same over a mile no matter the pace. A little more if I'm running but not a significant amount.

If you are talking distance rather than time, your total calories burned will be close per mile because even if the effort is lower, the time is proportionally longer...
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options

i don't know what kind of running you are doing, but i'll easily burn 400-500 calories in a 20 minute run.
  • lisar1208
    lisar1208 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    If you do retain water what is the best way to avoid that? Drink more water?
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    edit
  • jacksonpt
    Options

I have an HRM too, and I tend to burn roughly the same over a mile no matter the pace. A little more if I'm running but not a significant amount.

I don't understand how that's possible. Cals burned is directly proportional to HR, so if your HR is significantly higher, you have to be burning significantly more cals, no? I guess if you walk is a REALLY fast walk and your run is a fairly slow jog then the effort could be similar enough to result it similar total cals burned.
  • cPT_Helice
    Options
    First off, as a runner myself, I can tell you that running DOES burn alot of calories, but it all depends on your intensity. It all depends on how fast you are running, if you are running outside vs inside, incline or no incline...if you are running steady state or doing interval training. It can all vary...for example I can run for 1 hr and burn 800 calories. Your calorie burn will depend on alot of different variables.

Congrats on the weight loss so far. Remember, its a process and will take some time...we can put weight on very easily but it takes sometimes twice as long to lose it. I cannot see your diary to look at your food or exercise logs but you want to make sure that you are fueling your body and not starving your body in order to lose weight. As a society, we have this impression that if we eat less calories and workout more that we will lose weight. Yes you will lose weight but for how long? How long will you be able to keep the weight off? Wouldnt you want to eat more food and know that you can still lose weight AND know that you are fueling your body in the process? All Im saying is just make sure that you are eating the proper amount of calories, watch your sodium content and drink plenty of water.

There is nothing wrong with losing weight at a slower rate because in the long run you will benefit more from it and are more likely to KEEP the weight off and not gain it back if you do it slowly. But hang in there; it will happen.

^^^agreed^^^^
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    1) I would up your cals to about 1300, so that you can stay within your calorie range and still be over 1200- it's the lowest recommended amount you should be eating and it's hard to get caloric variety with your cals set that low (eg 1200 one day, 1300 the next). This will keep your body from getting good at functioning at any one caloric in take, and I find it helps keep loss pretty steady.

2) 1 lb a week is dead on. Some times though you just won't hit it, even if you are doing things right. There will be weeks where you lose 2 randomly. It happens- it will all even out in the end.

3) When you change or increase intensity on a workout your body retains water for muscle repair, which is why rest days are important. Don't try to "flush your system" or anything, it needs that water and it needs time to heal. Try running 3-5 times a week so your body has some recovery time.

Good luck!