lean cuisines, smart ones healthy choice etc help....

Options
R these healthy for you? I been eating them at work bc its too late to make dinner when i get home but i heard they will keep you from losing weight, true or false??????????

Replies

• LuckyAng
    LuckyAng Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    They have a lot of sodium, so not great to eat too often.
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    You can eat whatever you want as long as it fits your macros.... but its likely they'll have alot of carbs, little protein and in general not have much for you...

there are of course exceptions to that, but its a case by case thing.
  • debbie914
    Options
    As a nutritional coach, I never recommend processed meals to my clients...too much sodium and preservatives. The best thing to do is prepare your meals in advance for the week. Example; make some stir fry chicken or beef with vegetables and make enough to get you through the middle of the week...you can use your meat to make delicious wraps or mix in a salad etc. The best part is, it will taste so much better than a lean Cuisine or the like.
  • Bellyroll
    Options
    I like them. I just get the ones low in sodium.
  • desirae500
    desirae500 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I eat maybe 1-2 per week. Some weeks none. Just depends on how prepared I am for each day. They are higher in sodium, but fit into my calorie counts. I just drink more water. A little extra sodium one day doesn't hurt me - my kidneys work fine and I sweat some out in the gym. I prefer fresh foods but not always an option!
  • knurse1987
    knurse1987 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I eat smart ones...I have not a problem with weight loss because of them...I do know and understand the sodium content is high and processed foods are not the greatest for you, but with my life and work schedule and the fact that I only cook for one they are most convenient for me. I am not so worried about the sodium content because I drink so much water during the day that it seems to take care of that problem. I also do not eat these everyday. So, it doesnt affect me poorly. But then again, we are not all the same...
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    If you check the labels before you buy, some aren't so bad, but many have high sodium and very low protein. And just about all of them have very little volume of food for the calories.

Handy for when you really have no will to cook, though.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    As a nutritional coach, I never recommend processed meals to my clients...too much sodium and preservatives. The best thing to do is prepare your meals in advance for the week. Example; make some stir fry chicken or beef with vegetables and make enough to get you through the middle of the week...you can use your meat to make delicious wraps or mix in a salad etc. The best part is, it will taste so much better than a lean Cuisine or the like.

THIS!! If you don't have time to cook each evening, it's better to fix your own foods and freeze them ahead of time instead of buying prepackaged stuff! :) good luck!!
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    They never helped me... I drink plenty of water to deal with the sodium, but I still had trouble losing weight with them. They are good when you are in a pinch, but fresh food is so much better for you!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    R these healthy for you?

eh, not really.
    i heard they will keep you from losing weight, true or false??????????

false.

they contain lots of chemicals, generally don't taste very good, and aren't very filling. but they are convenient. if they're working for you, and you're staying in a calorie deficit you will lose weight.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Personally, I try to avoid preservatives and ingredients that I can't pronounce or don't sound like food. Every time I am tempted to get one, I read it and keep on walking. I try to get the foods that are a little less processed with recognizable ingredients. It is probably paranoia, but I think these preservatives are part of the cause of the "obesity crisis."
  • JennATC
    Options
    I buy the Safeway brand frozen meals to have for lunch when I don't have the time or food to make something. I stick to ones that are 300 calories or less and be sure to drink plenty of water when I do have them because they are higher in sodium. I wouldn't eat one every day, but I don't think its a big deal unless you have high blood pressure or another sodium sensitive problem.
  • achapman01
    achapman01 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Prepared food has WAY too much sodium and usually not very much protein. If you can, make large meals on the weekend or when you can, and package several lunches from the leftovers. Then you know exactly what's in your food, and it's in a convenient container just like a "lean cuisine". :)
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I ate them every single day starting out. Particularly the Healthy Choice ones, they are my favorites. Watch the sodium level and drink plenty of water. i still eat them on occasion after learning to cook healthier things. But I always keep them in the freezer in case I am running short of time. Sure beats ordering a pizza or something like that. All of the Healthy Choice meals I eat are under 400 calories and I dont eat them twice in one day. I agree that you can make healthier choices by making your own foods but some days that doesnt always work out that way in life. I have lost weight every week and they have always been a part of my weekly foods, not as much now tho. My nutritionist did caution me about the sodium in them and to try to cut back on them. Personally I am not a fan of WW meals, except one or two and I get my pizza fix from Lean Cuisine. Now this is just what I have done. Not saying it is right for you or anyone else. But they have helped me.
  • CheleLynn44
    CheleLynn44 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I keep the WW mini pepperoni piazzas and a ziti one in my freezer just in case. I plan my meals for the week and try to make most of my own food. I will add a big salad or some fruit when I eat them and they for into my life just fine.

I have a close friend that has used MFP since April 2011 and eats a microwaved meal almost everyday she works, and she has lost 93lbs so far. So they can be used to help with your weight loss goals!!
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    The only thing I don't like about them is they're not filling and don't taste very good. But when stuck with a lack of imagination or time to cook they work.
  • TONYAGOOCH
    TONYAGOOCH Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I eat them almost everyday for lunch since I work so far out of the city limits there aren't any places to go to eat. I don't have a lot of time to prepare meals ahead of time either. I have 2 three year olds and work full time and try to workout at the gym every day. So sometimes ever dinner is hard to actually cook something. I do at least try to make something for dinner instead of a frozen meal or eating out though. I've not had any problems with the sodium or weight loss by using these myself and I really like the Healthy Choice Cafe Steamers and the Lean Cuisine Steamer Bags.
  • ahsats
    ahsats Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    They're quite a bit pricier but I splurge on more natural microwavable food. Amy's, Kashi, Applegate Farms. Still high in sodium and not perfect, but I feel better when I eat them over the chemical party Lean Cuisines/Healthy Choice/etc.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    Make a week's worth of meals on the weekend and freeze it individually or keep it in the fridge and gab it in the morning. This is what I do, much cheaper and healthier. Also, if you have any food intolerances frozen meals will kill you, and I have ALL the food intolerances.
  • catio23
    catio23 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I like them for lunches, especially to take to the office. It helps make it easy and convenient - something I need! I try to add a side of frozen veggies to most of them, a Green Giant Just for One or a salad or something. Otherwise I'm hungry soon after.