I NEED SOME ADVICE!

For the last three weeks---

I have set a 1200 calorie diet for myself.
I have worked out 6/7 days a week for an hour with 40 mins cardio and 20 mins weight training
I cut out diet soda
Stop eating out entirely... eating primarily the 3 S's... soup, salad, and sandwiches

I weighed myself after over 3 weeks and lost only 5 lbs. I weigh(ed) 265 pounds... I should be losing more then that since I am just starting, right? What gives!??? (my sister weighs 40 lbs less then me and is doing the exact same thing and lost 15 lbs grrrrrr... what's wrong with me!?

Sincerely,

Seriously Frustrated!

Replies

• ahavoc
    ahavoc Posts: 464 Member
    You are eating too little. I was doing close to the same thing and plateaued for a month. Then I upped my calories to 1400 and I've been dropping weight like crazy.

As I always say, you have to eat to lose weight. God's little joke on us all.

But also, your sister might have lost more water weight, she'll even out. 1 - 2 pounds a week is healthy, and you shouldn't lose any more than that. I've lost 46 pounds since July 4th, and I have another 45 to go. I hope by next July to be there. You didn't put it on in a week, and you're not going to take it off in a week. There's no magic pill, but exercise, healthy eating, and time. Have patience with yourself and you will succeed. Unrealistic expectations will lead to failure.
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Simply, shes right. Up your calories.
  • Same thing here. I lost 13lbs when I first started MFP and like 4 months after that I begin to plateau and haven't lost since. I lowered my calorie intake to see if that would help, and i get nothing. It can get tricky to me because MFP recommeds that you loose 1lb per week which is cool but the amount of calories per day for my weight is hard to accomplish sometimes because I'm not always hungry. For example, I've heard that if your daily calories intake is 1600, you should subtract 500 from that and eat 1100. Should I force myself to eat the calories they suggest or stay on the 1300 I've set for myself? HELLLLLLLLLLP!
  • If you eat too little your body goes into starvation mode and your metabolism slows down to try and survive...
    Strange cause you think it'd speed up to live off of the fat, but it's a survival technique. Eat a bunch of small meals throughout the day to keep your metabolism going.
    It's also about smart choices... you don't want to eat something high in calories/sodium just to get to the calorie goal.
    HTH!
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    If you eat too little your body goes into starvation mode and your metabolism slows down to try and survive...
    Strange cause you think it'd speed up to live off of the fat, but it's a survival technique. Eat a bunch of small meals throughout the day to keep your metabolism going.
    It's also about smart choices... you don't want to eat something high in calories/sodium just to get to the calorie goal.
    HTH!

I am guessing you have lost a lot it just hasn't shown up yet. If you were to take one day and eat 3,000 calories, I would bet in the days following you will drop several pounds due to water release.