Have you lost weight previously and are doing it again?

Options
What are some ways that you stay motivated when doing it all over again? I feel like I need so much more support this time around!

Replies

• BlackStarlight
    BlackStarlight Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Hey ive lost weight previously around 20lbs but this time Ive lost dounle that and more. MFP is a great resouce and if you talk to people we all try to help each other out your more than welcome to add me if you want x
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Previously I did fad diets, lost over 30lbs on South Beach. But I was "skinny fat" because I never worked out. And when I started to eat all the things I missed (never followed the plan through to the maintenance phase) I gained back the 30 with 40 more firends. Now I'm doing it right and I feel 100x better!

Welcome back to it!
  • amiles21693
    Options
    I intially lost 30lbs a year ago. I've kept it off but I'm pushing myself because I know I can do better. Just thinking of my boy friend helps me stay motivated. He thinks I'm the most beautiful girl in the world and I want to show him that yes I am, and not only on the inside (:
  • LoveActually
    LoveActually Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I lost about 30lbs over 2 years ago and have kept most of it off but the holiday's were filled with crap foods and with my husband's recent deployment I just stopped caring. But now, that has all been turned around. I now find motivation in the idea of being the best me I can be. That sounds so corny but when my husband gets home I want to blow him away.

I'm sure you can't relate to that as you are much younger (and beautiful too btw) but that is my motivation. I also battle a few neurological diseases that motivate me to stay as physically healthy and strong as possible.

I think everyone has different motivations but a simple one is to go out and find an outfit that you love. Whether it be a pair of shorts or a bathing suit that you want to look hot in, hang it up in your room or near your refrigerator if necessary and set a date to be able to fit it. From there, work your *kitten* off (literally) and just take one day at a time.

Good luck!
  • TexasRaised89
    TexasRaised89 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Yes I used to hit the gym everyday and had lost 15 pounds and was getting toned up and BAM....got pregnant. Sooo my weight loss started all over again early 2011. What motivated me was I knew I had done it before and I was the biggest I had ever been after having my daughter. I wanted happiness again
  • Pamela3
    Pamela3 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I lost 90lbs from 08/07 -04/09.. After my wedding in 08/09 It started coming back on, I went through a really ba ddepression and didn't care that it was coming back on.. I woke up one morning and realized I've been wearing workout pants for the last year bc NONE of my clothes fit me.. Got on the scale and was up 50lbs... It took me a little while, but I'm more determined than ever, I know I can do this, but I'm going about it a little differently this time. I don't care so much about a number on the scale, it's more about how I feel about myself. Fitness is a huge part of my life and I love it... it's the perfect medicine for me.
  • dr4m4qu33n
    Options
    I lost 80 lbs, got pregnant, gained 35, then another 30, then i lost 20, gained and lost the same 10 a few times and I am currently down 15. It's very frustrating having to re-lose weight. I know how you feel!
  • WhiteRaven
    WhiteRaven Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    about 4 years ago I hit Goal weight (53lbs gone) with weight watchers, then one thing led to another and gained it all back.

Shedding it now using Mfp and just being aware of what I am eating.
  • CSummers316
    Options
    when I first started working out I was at 457. I burned down to 415 and felt awesome (Took about 4 months.) Around the time I met my goal, I changed shifts and spent a year working evenings. The job became way too stressful and my gym was not one of those 24 hour jobs. Once I switched back to overnights in October, I decided to start hitting the gym immediately after work. I started back at 430 and by January 18 I was at 391. Now here I am at 384.

I guess It wasn't too hard for me to get back into it because I love the feeling I get from working out and killing myself. Initially when I joined this site, it wasn't for the support, it was just to use the tools they provided to better monitor my calories in and being burned. Course the support from like minded individuals doesn't hurt either.
  • girlholiday
    Options
    I lost 55lb, then have slowly gained it all back. Last time I joined here I lost 15 pounds, and I left and gained it all back.
  • mikonei
    mikonei Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    The last time I lost weight, it wasn't really a choice, it was paying rent and not having much left over for food, plus having to walk 2 miles to work and back 5 days a week. Once I had money I attacked all of the foods I hadn't eaten in so long and gained it all back, plus a lot more. Now I'm working on just learning to be healthier and losing weight along the way :)
  • tnews43
    Options
    I am getting back on track and yes it is hard! I was ashamed to be seen at the gym because over the last 8 months I had gained 30lbs. I was in the owners bag attack class before and I still haven't made it back into the class....well atleast I go on the elliptical. I keep telling myself I will go to the class when I am more fit. Hummmm I think I am stalling:)
  • jskaggs1971
    jskaggs1971 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I have lost a bunch of weight once before, but it was due to health problems. I had massive kidney stone problems, multiple surgeries, and months (literally) on serious painkillers. I lost 40 lb, but I can't recommend it as a diet method.

Then, I drank too much beer and put a bunch of weight back on, plus I was still overweight to begin with.

So, this time, I'm doing it the easy way, with exercise and calorie-counting.
  • alikona22
    alikona22 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Lost 50lbs 8th-10th grade. Gained about 15lbs between 10th and freshman year of college. Yo'yo'd about 35 pounds since then (up 35, down 30, up 30, down 20, up 20, down 10 up 10 aaaaaaaaaand stuck back at my starting weight. I always do best when I log my calories, attempt to burn off the excess I eat, do weight/strength training, and stay consistent. And not think that I can relax a bit once I've hit my goal.
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    In the past 8-10 years I've lost weight 3 times...first time 40lbs...gained it, lost 30 pounds...gained it....lost 26 pounds on here....gained some back.:noway: This is it. Time to suck it up and just do it!:happy:
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    Back in 1999-2000 I lost 75 pounds and kept it of for about 2 years. Then over the years I put on 100 pounds. In Sept 2010 I was motivated by a change in our health benefits at work. If we were not living or working toward living a healthy lifestyle (BMI under 30, no smoking, healthy BP, good blood work, etc) we would pay more out of pocket for any health claims we had.

I'd always had good 'numbers' (even 168 cholesterol) but my BMI was way too high. That's when I started getting back into shape and have lose 95 pounds so far.
  • rayleansout
    Options
    Yep but I swear it was not all my fault that I gained some back!! Its OK im alive and kicking fats *kitten*!
  • Mary067
    Options
    I lost 60 pounds 6 years ago due to my divorce, in which I just plain didn't have any interest in eating for 6 months. Then we got back together and got fat and happy. So here I am.....again. *sigh*
  • latinahada
    Options
    I lost weight after my 1st child, 60+ pounds actually. I did fine maintaining, even with getting married & going through nursing school. But after having my 2nd child, here I am again...And now with hypothyroidism, a few years added on to my biological clock, 2 kids vs. the 1 (and by no means am I complaining), a husband and 66 pounds to lose when I started this!! I just got to the point where I was tired of feeling crappy, no energy, couldn't keep up with the kids, didn't feel like doing anything at all & wanted to feel good again and feel good about how I look again. I have a wonderful family support system, as well as my friends here at MFP...A switch just flipped Oct. 12th and I knew it was time to quit making excuses and feeling sorry for myself and lose again...I knew I had done it once & I could do it again...My motivation: My kids, my husband and the fact that I feel SOOOOO much better already also keeps me motivated!
  • lamilli09
    lamilli09 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    My motivation this time is thinking about a couple of things:
    -- how much harder it will become to keep losing the weight as I get older
    -- how much money I will have to spend if I have to keep buying entire new wardrobes
    -- how much time I will save by just losing the weight and keeping it off
    -- how much easier it will be to keep the weight off once I get it off and build some muscle

Good luck in your weight loss journey! Feel free to message me or add me if you're looking for support :)