How long does it take you to run a mile?

Options
So I just finished my personal best mile running... 11 mins. I'm kinda new to running and not really sure what time the average person runs a mile or a good goal to shoot for. Suggestions, advice? What's your time? :)

Replies

• Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    There is no average. Everyone is different, depending on how long they've been running, weight, natural athleticism, etc. Just judge yourself against yourself and look for improvement.

My "best" mile is somewhere around 8:30, at one point. Right now, I'm up around 10:30 - 11:00 on a good day
  • jenronan1
    jenronan1 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different - what is your goal? Looking to win a 5K, 10K, 1/2 marathon, marathon? My best times were 6:40 for a 5K, 7 for 10 K and around 8 for 1/2 marathon. But - it was shooting for first in my age group in the local race series, because I am super competitive. So, it is whatever you want it to be - if you want to be fast, you need to train fast.
  • nwhitley
    nwhitley Posts: 619
    Options
    Like the others says it depends. I am 36 and my PR is 8:40 per mile in a 5K. My son is 12 and on a x country high school team and his 5K PR is 20:09. His mile average embarrasses me too much to type it :ohwell: I run b/c I love it and I like competing against myself. Focus on doing your personal best and you'll enjoy it much more:smile:
  • jess6522
    jess6522 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Right now, it takes me about 10 minutes. When I was in good shape, I could do it in around 7-7:30. I think for a beginner, 9-10 minutes is a good goal to start with. 11 is a great start! You'll only get faster. I'm just starting to get back into running. It's much harder that I remember!
  • j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I'm running about 9 minutes per mile..

This is what I started with on the treadmill, started at 4.2mph walk and 5.5 run, now up to 4.5mph walk and 6.5 mph run for the first mile, 6.5mph for the .75, 7.0 for the .5 and 8.0 for the .25 and did a .5 7.0mph/.5 4.5 walk for the last mile.

1mile walk
    1mile run
    .25 walk
    .75 run
    .5 walk
    .5 run
    .75 walk
    .25 run
    1 mile walk
  • AmyEm3
    AmyEm3 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I ran a mile in 7:30 for the first time today (previous best was 7:45). But I haven't been able to run that quickly very often. I was feeling particularly spunky today. I'm usually about 9-10 (most often 10) minutes per mile when I'm running 5-8 miles.
  • kje2011
    kje2011 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    heck, if i fast walk/run a mile in 11.5min I am happy :)
  • j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I think 8 or so minutes will be my best treadmill mile. I already tripped the breaker on two going over 8.0 mph. :/
  • itsambertime
    Options
    Super proud of myself ran a 10 min mile yesterday straight through no stopping!!! Woot woot!
  • healthylife1001
    Options
    I ran a mile in 7:30 today...
  • JennS19
    JennS19 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I just started and I'm just a tad under 15 min, like 14.40. Which is probably really slow, I run at like a 4.5 right now but like I said I just started.

I'm pretty proud of it though! LOL
  • sblueyez
    sblueyez Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    So I just finished my personal best mile running... 11 mins. I'm kinda new to running and not really sure what time the average person runs a mile or a good goal to shoot for. Suggestions, advice? What's your time? :)

15 mins. Gotta start somewhere!!!
  • kyrstensmom
    kyrstensmom Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    My fastest ever (about 20 yrs ago) was 7 min.....now, its like just over 9.....but I can't do that for any sustained distance and not very often. My average time is about 10:30 or so. I'm trying really hard to get it down, but its hard and is going to take some time. I'm just happy to be back out there!
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    My best is 7:50

Normally I'm 8:30-9
  • dodd319
    dodd319 Posts: 228
    Options
    I just started running, or jogging as I say, recently. The other night I jogged 1.05 miles in 14 minutes. I was really proud of myself. I'm doing a 5K on Saturday but I'm not trying to win, just prove to myself that I can finish it!
  • steph0924
    steph0924 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    About 11 minutes per mile for a 5k. I'd like to improve that to a 10 minute mile this year.
  • jennt_22
    jennt_22 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I started running last July and 1 mile was tough... back then I averaged close to 12 min per mile...
    Now a 5K is easy for me, I can run a 10K, and am currently training for a 10 mile run! On longer runs I average about 10.5 mins/mile but if I just run a 5K I try and get a 10 min mile to be able to run it in 30 mins or less! Good luck!
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    11 right now..goal is 9 :)
  • jessicabass1
    Options
    if i were you i would see how fast you are outside. i definantly run faster outside than i do on a treadmill. compare the two. but 11 min is great i usually do between 9 and 12 min. depending on outdoor/indoor location.
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    11 or 12 min max