How long does it take you to run a mile?

Options

Replies

• andreacord
    Options
    Depends. My average right now is falling between ten and eleven minutes. But I tore my quad then got in a car accident so I've been not running for almost seven months.
  • _Kate_P
    _Kate_P Posts: 132
    Options
    My BEST was a 6:32 when I ran cross country at my high school in freshman year (then I got lazy and didn't do xc for the rest of hs :happy: ) but now I'm around 8:20. But it's pretty easy to improve if you stick with it. I went from a 9:50 to a 6:32 in like 4 or 5 months!! Just keep with it and you'll improve in leaps and bounds!!
  • melrose09
    Options
    Treadmill only here and my best is 9:13. Hopefully I get this jogging strolled off craigslist so I can start getting outside
  • clovercreekelmo
    Options
    I am averaging between 11:30 and 12:00 - its really what works for you without injuries...
  • RunChinni
    RunChinni Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I started off at 17mins a mile, heaving and huffing... then I managed 13 mins a mile, with a powerwalk and run. Now I am down to 10-11... it's never fixed for me... I tend to mix it up with a sprint, a powerwalk, a jog and a walk!
  • runner_girl_120
    Options
    5:17 :)

I run for my college
  • dukes418
    dukes418 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    personal best is around 6 minutes all out. 5K around 8.30 per mile.
  • yewhew
    yewhew Posts: 21
    Options
    i WISH i could run a mile. ;/
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    5:57 a couple of months ago. Somewhere around 12:00+ a year before that when I was smoking, drinking, and eating too much.
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    14:45 is my best time. I'm not a terribly fast runner, but I'm working on it! Be proud of an 11 minute mile!
  • MattDrizzle
    MattDrizzle Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    As long as your enjoying the exercise and can still carry a conversation then you are not running to fast. It doesn't do you any good to dread running because if you do you will eventually quit. HAVE FUN and run with friends!
  • ajp913
    ajp913 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    9:36! And at 305 pounds... I'm pretty proud of that. lol.
  • MsDvine
    MsDvine Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    My fast walk and my "run" appears to be the same. I can "run" a mile just at 13 min. I wish I could run faster and if I keep trying, I'm sure I will drop that number. The thing is I feel really great when I do it so I am proud of the 13 min mile I can do. :)
  • Virgo09
    Virgo09 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'm about a 9:30 but anything beyond a mile, I'm between 12:00-12:30
  • liroez29
    liroez29 Posts: 221
    Options
    Right now my best in 13 mins, I am proud of it, considering when I first started I could not even walk a whole mile!:happy:
  • VeggieKelli
    VeggieKelli Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I just started running again, my best mile time is 9:15. But, I usually run 5.5 miles at an eleven minute pace. Hoping to improve my pace a lot!! As well, my goal is to reach a 7:30. My previous PR was like an 8:13, I'm hoping that when I run a marathon in 8 months, I will be able to keep a 9 minute pace, but that might be too much to ask for.
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    If I was JUST going to run a mile and stop, around 8:30-9. I usually run no less than 3 miles at a time and my pace is about a 10 min mile. I'm not looking to win any races, just finish them and have fun.
  • AddictedtoAerosmith
    Options
    Being embarrased of your son? What a sad, sad thing to type...shame on you
  • hexrei
    hexrei Posts: 163
    Options
    ~7 minutes on a single mile after warmup, but im gassed at the end and have only done it a couple of times in the last few months to test myself. my typical run is 3-4 miles and my miles are around 8 minutes in those runs.
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's much point in trying to average against other people because there are so many variables. I just try to improve my own times when it comes to fitness. If you're going to be racing against others that's another matter.

Last week I ran a mile in 9:15 and was very pleased with it because I'm working my way back from months of medical problems.

Last spring I ran a mile in 7:25. I would dearly love to get back in that range, but with my 50th birthday roaring up on me, I'm not betting on it, lol.

For comparison, in high school I could run a mile in just under 5:30. See how much it can vary depending on circumstances?