first case of shin splints. are there ways to a speedy recov

Options
I've been running since October kind of following the C25K.. but then I kind of started to work at my own pace. I went from not being able to run a single mile to doing about a mile and a half on the treadmill. (I have run 3miles on trails surprisingly because I don't get as bored and I'm more motivated) Well now my roommate runs with me at the gym, and she's a lot more fit. So I ran two miles a day, everyday the past week.. and today my shins are killing me! I don't know what to do, I've never had them before and I'm scared I'm going to get an injury from running like my mom did which made her fall completely off track. I didn't think I was pushing myself too hard, and I have proper fitted running shoes.

Tips to avoid them in the future and get rid of the pain would be awesome.

Replies

• tameller
    tameller Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Alternating ice and heat. Rest to let them recover fully. Physio can really help also. I developed shin splints when I first started running 10 years ago, I didn't realize that was what they were and pushed through the pain. I suffer from them still -- they can easily sideline me if I over train even one day. As this is your first time, give them time to heal! The ice and heat will help bring down the swelling, ibuprofen can help also. Rest, and start back SLOWLY, stopping if they come back.
  • shoelover78
    Options
    Ice on your shins and pain killers. Take a couple days off, do NOT push it!!!! I pushed it and am paying the price now! Stretching helps a lot!
  • n_unocero
    n_unocero Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    that's kind of weird that you got them a) after training for a while and b) from a treadmill. I usually get them after my first time running outside on asphalt.

that said....just take 2 or 3 days off. shin splints are nothing to be worried about, just some sore muscles.
  • SammyPacks
    SammyPacks Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem back when I first started C25K and got into running races back a lil over a year ago. The answer to my problem was good shoes. I had crappy old gym shoes I had used for 2+ years in high school... never was a fitness person so figured they were still good, boy was I wrong. I relaxed off my legs for a while and instead swam for cardio workouts. I then invested in my Reebok Z-Tech (LOVE THESE SHOES!!! Well worth the $108). Ever since then I have never had a problem with my shins hurting. Since you have been running for quite some time, I doubt it's cause it's new for you. You probably just need new shoes.
  • SammyPacks
    Options
    I had the same problem back when I first started C25K and got into running races back a lil over a year ago. The answer to my problem was good shoes. I had crappy old gym shoes I had used for 2+ years in high school... never was a fitness person so figured they were still good, boy was I wrong. I relaxed off my legs for a while and instead swam for cardio workouts. I then invested in my Reebok Z-Tech (LOVE THESE SHOES!!! Well worth the $108). Ever since then I have never had a problem with my shins hurting. Since you have been running for quite some time, I doubt it's cause it's new for you. You probably just need new shoes.

Btw I read about your proper shoes, but it is possible that you need new ones (depending on when you last got em) I've had mine for almost a year now and they're still really good, but I am due for a "tune-up". Maybe you are too?
  • caseydoubleoh7
    Options
    Yeah I got my shoes back in November, so I doubt that's it. I still feel like they are pretty new. But the employee at the shoe store said if I started to get pains while running to try insoles.. so maybe that might help too?
  • n_unocero
    Options

Btw I read about your proper shoes, but it is possible that you need new ones (depending on when you last got em) I've had mine for almost a year now and they're still really good, but I am due for a "tune-up". Maybe you are too?

agreed. i think i read somewhere you should replace shoes every 6 months?

and...do you have flat feet? i do...which is why i get mine when i run outside. i would suggest geting some new balance or another shoe that had a thick sole to absorb some of the shock. i tried those cool new flexible running shoes and ended up sidelining myself for a while with more than shin splints.
  • shmaylene
    Options
    I have also had the same problem, I tryed running tonight and my left shin is killing me, even when im not exercising! I wanna stay on track but dont want to end up hurting myself!
  • n_unocero
    Options
    I have also had the same problem, I tryed running tonight and my left shin is killing me, even when im not exercising! I wanna stay on track but dont want to end up hurting myself!

bike or swim?
  • Cal28
    Cal28 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I've been getting these too and only on week 2 of C25K. I bought new trainers (in the sale) to start running but didn't have them fitted. Can they just add an insole to fix them if they're wrong? x
  • mimapope
    Options
    Are they on the 'inside' or 'outside' of your shin?
    I used to have such a problem with sore shins as well, but after speaking with my PT have realised that it is the tightness of my calves which is affecting them the most.
    So make sure while you are icing your shins(*** an easy way to do it is to fill a glass/cup all the way to top and freeze, then hold handle and rub down shins) you are also stretching your calves/giving them massages.
  • n_unocero
    Options
    I've been getting these too and only on week 2 of C25K. I bought new trainers (in the sale) to start running but didn't have them fitted. Can they just add an insole to fix them if they're wrong? x

yeah...and insole will also help absorb some of the shock.
  • SammyPacks
    Options
    Yeah I got my shoes back in November, so I doubt that's it. I still feel like they are pretty new. But the employee at the shoe store said if I started to get pains while running to try insoles.. so maybe that might help too?

I think that may help and may be a cheaper route instead of buying new shoes, but it is said that most runners change their shoes every 3-6 months... so you are good there if you got it back in November.

This is what I suggest...

Rest for a while, when your shins feel better go and try to get insoles custom made for your feet. Then start up your running (maybe back at the pace you were use to, just to get back in the groove), then when your ready and if your shins don't hurt. Go back to two miles a day :) I hope your shins do feel better! I hate when they hurt!
  • SammyPacks
    Options

bike or swim?
    [/quote

Swimming is a great alternative to cardio workouts! And it's starting to get sunny again (Spring timeee soon!) :P
  • shmaylene
    Options
    I can't bike because I have really bad knees, and Im not confindent enough to go in public with a bathing suit on! Ill try getting new shoes and see if that works. thank you for the ideas!
  • roanne70
    Options
    Hey,
    My brother, a physical therapist, told me to sit forward in a chair and rest my elbows on my knees. Then I raised the toes of one foot as far toward the ceiling as I could and held it there for at least 10 seconds. I did three sets on each leg. Also the alternating ice and heat helped a lot. The exercises strengthen the muscles and help to keep it from happening again.
  • EricInArlington
    EricInArlington Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I can fix it in 30 steps, ten steps on your heels toes straight, ten with the toes pointed out and ten with them in. do this after you run and it will fix it, It worked for me the first time I tried it
  • pjperez
    Options
    I started running doing C25K also, about 18 months ago, all on pavement. I had shin splints, mildly, on-and-off for most of the first few months. I just iced down my shins after every run, which helped pretty immediately. I'm now a "runner," and even when doing 4, 5, 6, even 10 miles, I almost never get shin splints. I think your body just needs to adjust (usually it's imbalanced muscles pulling, and as others have suggested here, proper shoes can make up for a lot of that).

That said, obviously everybody is different and your mileage may vary. Good luck!
  • Cal28
    Cal28 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Are they on the 'inside' or 'outside' of your shin?

Mine are the inside but mostly on my right leg..? Might look into insoles, thanks x
  • caseydoubleoh7
    Options
    Mine are on the inside of my shins too. They are feeling mildly better today.. I'll have to give it a go tomorrow when I actually have time to hit the gym and see how they feel. I'm going to try stretching more before I run.