Low Blood Sugar

Options
So as I am sleeping my sugar seems to drop and then I wake up and binge on food. I have a hard time controlling this becuase I am still half asleep and my blood sugar is dropping. I have tried to manage it and not sure the best way. I am open to suggestions to anyone!!

Replies

• gdr1976
    gdr1976 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    II'm interested as well. especially when I take my medications I sometimes find myself waking up and my BS is anywhere between 42-65 and I find myself eating everythign is site.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Have a couple of pieces of fruit if anything and make it breakfast x
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Eat 200-400 calories of cereal before bed.
    Mix a sugary once like Honeynut cheerios with a high fibre cereal.
    This will regulate insulin and blood sugar to help you sleep throughout the night.

BTW its perfectly fine to eat carbs after 8pm!
    We broke that myth in the 90s!
  • SparksFly460
    Options
    Which type of hypoglycemia do you have? Reactive or Fasting? I'm a little of both really....worse on fasting. Reactive to selective simple carbs & sugars.

I use to have the same problem but I'd faint first thing in the morning from my blood sugar being so low. I'd pop glucose pills just to get me into the kitchen for something quick.

I try to space out my meals best I can. I usually have a late dinner (9:30ish) and am in bed around midnight or so. I'm totally fine in the mornings now. I can even go a good hour without shaking. Sometimes I'll do Trop50 to hold me over an etra 30 mins (no longer than that b/c then you're going on a rollercoaster ride).

Try to figure out what food are the culprits. It's easy to say, skip the simple carbs. Go for complex. Eat protein. Some foods hit people different. My friend can have fruit on an empty stomach and be okay 9she is also hypoglycemic). I eat some grapes and an hour later I'm shaking like a leaf. I learned to have it with cottage cheese or a greek yogurt. You might want to try what I do, Dinner as your biggest meal. Protein rich, plenty of veggies and some carbs. Dinner is usually my highest calorie meal. I'm so sue to it that I'm SHOT the next day if I skim out, cut back or etc. No energy for the gym, blood sugar rollercoaster rides....

Figure out what works for YOU. There are plenty of good options and suggestions. Everyone's body is different.
  • kman27
    Options
    42-65 is horrible and your blood sugar should never be that low. Add in the margin of error for most meters and you could go into diabetic shock (kinda surprised you haven't with it that low). I would recommend talking to your doctor and either try different meds or change the dosage.
  • FireMama_24
    FireMama_24 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I have a little of both and I try to eat oatmeal close to bedtime but it doesn't always happen because work gets busy and I am beat by the time I get home. It is frustrating to me because I know it is hindering my weight loss. Thanks for the suggestions.
  • gdr1976
    gdr1976 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    42-65 is horrible and your blood sugar should never be that low. Add in the margin of error for most meters and you could go into diabetic shock (kinda surprised you haven't with it that low). I would recommend talking to your doctor and either try different meds or change the dosage.

That's why I haven't been taking them Since I've lost the weight and when I do take the meds doesn't seem to matter what I eat I crash with in a few hours. I followup with him at the end of this month so I am hoping to be off completely. Hopefully as a trial basis. One of the meds I can change the dose. I've gone from a full dose to half a dose and it still brings me down quick.
  • KellyAS711
    KellyAS711 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    What medications are you currently taking. Some anti-diabetic medication will cause Blood Glucose crashes more significantly than others. Medications such as Metformin generally do not see these types of fluctuations. If you are on these medications, what time of day are you taking them or are you taking them twice a day. This may also influence your crash in blood glucose levels. It may also be significant if you are pre-diabetic or have been diagnosed with diabetes. Diet and exercise can help decrease or eliminate the need for oral anti-diabetic medications or prolong the use for them in the pre-diabetic. It is also important to have your Hgb A1C checked regularly. If you can keep your A1C below 7 with diet and exercise, you may not need the medications. While dieting, it is also important to remember that when you are taking these medications you must eat! Eating 4-6 small meals a day can help with this. There are also weight loss supplements that are targeted for the diabetic that you might consider in the evening to help prevent this drop in blood glucose. You also may need to test more frequently to know what is happening to your body when you consume certain foods.
  • makes1
    makes1 Posts: 26
    Options
    Hey, I have gone as far as setting the alarm on my iPhone and waking up and checking it. I keep Glucose tablets & meter beside my bed . I also take the small 10 pks of Glucose tabs when I do my daily walking , usually walk 4 to 8 miles a day and that will run your sugar down pretty good . Plus the glucose tablets will boost your energy and are only 15 calories each. 45 is low but hey mines been that a lot . I still know what's up @ 45 but if it gets below 40 , which it has , I'm usually in trouble. It's not as easy as people think . I go into orbit when mine is high , like sev weeks ago it was 300, I'm impatient and used novo log quick acting to get it down quick. Problem is I've overshot it doing that and it goes other way. And God forbid don't fall asleep then