Talking to a recruiter?

Options
Ive been mulling this over in my brain for a while now...

I REALLY want to go talk to a recruiter, but seeing as I still have 35-40 lbs to lose, Im afraid they arent going to take me seriously.Even though Ive lost just about 50 lbs, I still like a did when I started lol.. I want to know if the military is even an option for me at this point ( they do a pretty rough credit check and paying for my moms funeral put me in some debt!) ...

I just want them to know that Im serious and find out what my next steps are. I know they would let me start PTing with them, but my running game is no where near what it needs to be.Im at a sorry 12 minute mile..

If anyone has been through a similar situation or is in the same situation now, please advise!!!

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You can always give it a try. I know they have certain limitations of BMI/BF% to get in but you can always find it out when you get tot he recruiter. Also, with the budget cuts coming to the DOD, it might be a bit harder as they are trying to reduce the size of the forces.
  • kealey1318
    kealey1318 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    While I've never talked to a recruiter, and therefore can't answer your questions, I think it's admirable what you've accomplished so far!

I would suggest going in and being very honest with them. Be proud of the work you've already done and tell them you're a work in progress. Find out exactly where you need to be to meet their criteria!

BTW, I can't run a mile, or a 1/2 a mile, or even a 1/4 mile... I think it's great you can run one in 12 minutes. As you continue to lose weight, you'll be able to speed up. KEEP UP THE FANTASTIC WORK!!!
  • They will listen to you. A warm body is a warm body.

Don't sign anything. NEVER sign a "general" contract. This is serious.

Consider college first, please.
  • I should note that the US military is going through a "force reduction" at the moment, so jobs are scarce and it's even harder to get in than it was before. I was in the US AF for a little over 2 years before voluntarily separating to give birth to and raise my daughter. Now, I'm trying to get back in and it is very hard.

I say consider college because 1) It will give you more time to work on your fitness goals and 2) They are ALWAYS taking officers. You'll be treated better as an officer, too. Consider the medical field, like nursing. This will be your best bet.

The only way I can see them being so open about recruitment is if 1) the federal military budget is further bloated and 2) war with Pakistan becomes a reality.
  • ktfitzgerald
    ktfitzgerald Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Go talk to them and find out what your options are. Don't worry about what kind of shape you are in - they will help you with that regardless of your starting point. WHen my daughter joined the Marines she couldn't even run 1/2 a mile. In a little over 3 months they had her ready to ship with great scores on her fitness test.
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Knowledge is power ... it never hurts to speak with people and hear their offers. Listen carefully and visit each branch of military. Take someone with you who has experience with the adventure you're thinking about. Their experience will prove to be worth its weight in gold.

I'm not convinced college has to come first. My son decided to become a reservist with the Navy. It's proven to be a great segue for the next phase in his life. He's in his C school now and is doing well. The signing bonus will help with college.

The best adivce I can give is listen to the offers intently, take someone with you who knows the ropes, and sign on with the job you want in the branch you want. Undecided may end up being a less than desirable experience than you want.
  • Robinsmike
    Options
    bump
  • Mikesrobin
    Mikesrobin Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I am a retired military member. I served for 20 years. I have never been a recruiter however if you are serious about joining you should go talk with them. They will work with you and let you know where you need to be in order to join each service. I needed to lose a few pounds before I joined also and then bootcamp took the rest off! LOL

Just remember as a previous poster said "Read your contract" prior to sigining anything, My recruiter had it all planned out for me to get the job I wanted and when I went to sign the contract it was totally different than what we had talked about. I told them I would not sign that contract and they changed it before I signed.

Also make sure you check out each service to figure out what they can offer you and if you can talk with other people (not a recuriter) about how they like it. I was in the Navy and had a great carreer but I relize that is may not be for everyone.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    If you don't ask you'll never know. If nothing else it will give you a goal x
  • Chowder_17
    Chowder_17 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Ive been mulling this over in my brain for a while now...

I REALLY want to go talk to a recruiter, but seeing as I still have 35-40 lbs to lose, Im afraid they arent going to take me seriously.Even though Ive lost just about 50 lbs, I still like a did when I started lol.. I want to know if the military is even an option for me at this point ( they do a pretty rough credit check and paying for my moms funeral put me in some debt!) ...

I just want them to know that Im serious and find out what my next steps are. I know they would let me start PTing with them, but my running game is no where near what it needs to be.Im at a sorry 12 minute mile..

If anyone has been through a similar situation or is in the same situation now, please advise!!!

Hi there, I'm active duty AF (8yrs). Not sure what branch you're looking at, but I'll provide my two cents. Give them a call. Explain you're situation and they will ask you a few questions as well. While you won't be able to do a contract or anything until you lose the weight, it doesn't hurt to get well informed. I went and spoke to a recruiter in July, but didn't do my contract until Oct, since I wanted to read up on everything and be well informed. It is a long process, so getting info early is good. PM if you wish with any other info.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I should note that the US military is going through a "force reduction" at the moment, so jobs are scarce and it's even harder to get in than it was before. I was in the US AF for a little over 2 years before voluntarily separating to give birth to and raise my daughter. Now, I'm trying to get back in and it is very hard.

I say consider college because 1) It will give you more time to work on your fitness goals and 2) They are ALWAYS taking officers. You'll be treated better as an officer, too. Consider the medical field, like nursing. This will be your best bet.

The only way I can see them being so open about recruitment is if 1) the federal military budget is further bloated and 2) war with Pakistan becomes a reality.

^^ Listen to this. I was in the AF for 4 years before voluntarily separating. I would advise the college route as well. And DON"T SIGN ANYTHING!!!!!
  • ladykaisa
    ladykaisa Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I realize I'm in Canada and this may be a bit different....

But my little brother talked extensively with his recruiter before he joined. Calls, emails, face to face... they were there for him to make sure he met the goals needed before signing his contract. If he had any questions, they were there to answer him.

I'd say go! Knowledge is power! If you don't "make the cut" right away (my brother sure didn't!), then they should be able to answer questions at least, to help you on your journey to signing up.

Amy
  • Chowder_17
    Options
    I should note that the US military is going through a "force reduction" at the moment, so jobs are scarce and it's even harder to get in than it was before. I was in the US AF for a little over 2 years before voluntarily separating to give birth to and raise my daughter. Now, I'm trying to get back in and it is very hard.

You're incorrect. Becoming an officer is MUCH harder than going enlisted. I'm going through the process now with a 6% selection rate.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    USMC - Best shape of my life!
    And nothing compares to that day of graduation - nothing!

If you really see value in it, go for it. You can't win if you don't play.
  • Laurelje
    Laurelje Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I say if joining the military is something you want to do, go for it. You've already had a great weight loss, so it's obvious you can achieve your goals. I've been in the AF for 23 years and am getting ready to retire next year. The only thing I would have changed is how I enlisted. I came in "open general" and wound up with a job I never saw myself doing, either in the military or in civilian life. Decide what career field you want to go into, and go with the branch who can guarantee you that job. They will take care of the physical training part! ;-) Good luck, and I hope you achieve your next goal, whatever it is.
  • What AFSC? I know that security forces and nurse officers are in high demand.
  • VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    I just inboxed you. I agree with everyone that says do NOT sign anything until you read it and do NOT sign anything until you are at MEPS the day before departing for orders. but, DO talk to them now so that you know what the next step is
  • Chowder_17
    Options
    What AFSC? I know that security forces and nurse officers are in high demand.

If this was a response to me about officers, then secruity forces goes on a non-rated board, still 6% selection rate. You don't get to pick your job as an officer unless its medical or something that requires a special degree (ie weather, engineer, scientist). You only get to pick rated (flying jobs), non-rated board, medical/jag.
  • Perswaysion
    Perswaysion Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Always read the contract. They usually won't honor any verbal agreements. My husband joined the navy when were very young as a way to get his school paid for and they honored none of the verbal agreements. They were at least more honest then the army. I was days away from my final physical and signing date when I found out that they lied to me about being stationed in the same area as my soon to be navy husband. They worded my contract as "same geographical area". His navy recruiter took a look at my contract for me and pointed out that Hawaii and California were same geographical area and what my husband signed up for and what I signed up for would never have us closer then 8 hours. Needless to say I didn't sign on that final dotted line.

It never hurts to ask, women get a much more liberal bmi in most branches. With the downsizing though unless you can score extremely well in a needed area the chances of bonuses are getting slim.

The military was not a good experience for us but I can not deny that his college being paid for was a good positive bonus. He came out of C school with 84 credits and his Gi Bill paid for the rest.
  • What AFSC? I know that security forces and nurse officers are in high demand.

If this was a response to me about officers, then secruity forces goes on a non-rated board, still 6% selection rate. You don't get to pick your job as an officer unless its medical or something that requires a special degree (ie weather, engineer, scientist). You only get to pick rated (flying jobs), non-rated board, medical/jag.

Ah, it was my understanding that SF officers usually had a degree in criminal justice or other related degrees. Thanks for the correction!