vegetarian sandwiches other than PBJ

Options
I am looking for recipes for vegetarian sandwiches other than PBJ and just plain cheese. I need vegetarian lunch ideas that do not have to be heated (no access to microwave) and are preferably easy to throw together in the morning. Any good recipes out there?

Replies

• mickipedia
    mickipedia Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    cheese and onion, carrot, lettuce cucumber and mayonaise, cranberry and brie, cottage cheese, marmite, jam, marmalade.. i'm out of ideas now lol :)
  • sarglava
    sarglava Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Just made a pb&j. Yummy but I'm also looking for something different. No ideas... hope you find some!
  • AmyJo527
    AmyJo527 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Mozz cheese, tomato, and a litttle jarred pesto or basil leaves toasted like a grilled cheese, and tomato, avocado and onion are two of my favorites.
  • carrollel
    carrollel Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    not sure how much you like these veggies, but try a cucumber and tomato sandwhich with a little bit of hummus spread. Or you can prepare your lunches the night before and make eggplant, mushroom, onion wraps. Or my favorite, portabella mushrooms (cooked in lite soy sauce) with roasted peppers and mozz cheese topped with a little bit of balsamic.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Avacado tomato and cucumber in a pita bread, egg salad, veggie delimeat (yves salami is good) hummus and veggie wraps are delicious!!
  • kmacgera
    kmacgera Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Hummus. You can buy it more cheaply as dehydrated in the natural foods store.

Farther afield, use "last night's" split pea soup. It sets up in the frig, but keep it separate from the bread (or crackers) until lunch time.

Fried tofu (plain or with soy sauce & spices).

Egg salad.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I use fresh or roasted veggies, add some mustard or little Mayo. I love them.
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Arnold sandwhich thins (100% whole wheat) toasted, sliced avacado, a spread of a laughing cow cheese wedge, and a bunch of alfalfa sprouts!!! yummmmmmy!!! :love:
  • STAYSEAH
    STAYSEAH Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Tempeh cooked with a little tamari, garlic and sesame oil on whole grain bread with lettuce and sprouts.
  • itsuki
    itsuki Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Cucumbers, shredded carrots, and hummus (regular or roasted red pepper). This is great on a wheat pita or wheat bread.

Brie and a sliced tart apple (great on a firm crusty bread! delicious cold, but even better grilled).

Tomato, basil, fresh mozzarella, with a little bit of seasoned olive oil.

Take whatever you'd put in a salad that's yummy to you, throw it in a wrap or lavash.

They also make vegetarian/vegan "deli meats"; not sure how good they are, but you could always go that route.
  • Punkedpoetess
    Punkedpoetess Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Here are some veggie sandwiches I have made and enjoyed that aren't a PBJ:

* PB and sliced bananas (I actually like this better than PBJ's). Also great with sunflower seed butter.
    * Hummus with sliced veggies (also great with reduced fat feta added to it).
    * Homemade egg salad (I make mine with hard boiled eggs, using 2 whites and 1 whole egg, black pepper, and spicy mustard all mashed up and mixed together). Tastes great, fills you up, and is healthy.

There are other options as well, but these are the ones I can think of that are easy to take to work and can be eaten cold. I also love making my own grilled cheese sandwiches using various cheeses and toppings.
  • sriraw
    sriraw Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Quick ideas:
    1. Hummus, shredded carrots, lettuce, and tomato
    2. Bean dip, salsa, shredded lettuce
    3. Tofu "egg" salad of mashed tofu, chopped onions, chopped celery, mustard, capers, etc.
    4. Avocado sushi - easy to make and stays fresh for a long time
    5. Tomato, lettuce, and avocado with salt, pepper, etc.
    6. left over beans, rice, salsa and other Mexican toppings in a tortilla wrap.

Hope this helps!
  • carrollel
    carrollel Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thanks, now i'm hungry now...
  • Miss♥Ivi
    Options
    Arugula, fontina cheese and tomatoes on a wheat baguette! So yummy!
  • becjerami
    Options
    * pesto, avocado, cheese, artichoke and rocket sandwich (my favourite sandwich ever!), best on wholemeal artisan bread or sourdough

* curried egg (egg, mayo & curry powder)

* falafel and salad

* marinated pan fried tofu with hot sauce and grated carrot (and variations thereof)
  • david_swinstead
    david_swinstead Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Chicken
  • mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Well I'm not a fan of cheese of peanut butter, I'm a vegetarian though and to tell you the truth I don't really stray from a variety of salad, I love lettuce, tomato, cucumber, red onion, olives and gherkins, that is my all time favourite, other than that I just have egg.
  • mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Chicken

Yeah, there are also lot's of good fake meats out that are tasty, just have to be careful as some can be quite calorific.
  • soaps54
    soaps54 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I take a whole wheat wrap and put lettuce, fresh bell peppers, roasted red peppers, sliced jalapenos, olives, along with some lite mayo & mustard.

You can do the same on an Arnold Sandwich Thin as well.
  • vilardip1
    Options
    load up on veggies...grill some bell peppers, eggplant, onion...mmmmm