Let's Talk About... Raspberry Ketones

Options
Acg67
Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
Lots of questions are being asked about this "miracle" pill that some guy recommended on his tv show.

Raspberry ketones are are a phenolic compound derived from red raspberries. They were studied for their effect on weight loss due to a similar chemical makeup of synephrine (whose efficacy on weight loss is also questionable)

Raspberry ketones
raspberryketone.gif

Synephrine

synefrine.gif

This study on mice showed that when fed a high fat diet, the mice put on less weight while using raspberry ketones then without

Anti-obese action of raspberry ketone. Life Sci. 2005 May 27;77(2):194-204
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15862604

raspberryketone4.gif

The only one i could find on humans is an unpublished clinical trial done in 2007, now if the results were so awesome, why was it never published or more studies done on it?

http://www.naturalproductsinsider.com/news/2007/04/razberi-ktm-supports-fat-oxidation.aspx

So what can we really conclude from all this? That Dr Oz has no idea what he's talking about if he says raspberry ketones do anything special for humans like target specific fat stores, because the evidence it does so is simply not there

Replies

• lglg11
    lglg11 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Excellent .
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    You are just so awesome. :happy:
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    You pretty much rock...but the people that should read this...won't, you do realize that?
  • twooliver
    twooliver Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Maybe so...but I got to say that I'm curious enough to give it a try for myself...
  • This is smart-looking stuff but maybe I'm not-so-smart -- what's wrong with the 2007 study? Just that it hasn't been duplicated/published?
  • MissO﹠A
    MissO﹠A Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I'm not a doctor, but when I play one on TV -- people just LOVE me! *jazz hands*

Thanks for posting this. :drinker:
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    This needs to be in Unofficial FAQ.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    This is smart-looking stuff but maybe I'm not-so-smart -- what's wrong with the 2007 study? Just that it hasn't been duplicated/published?

Unpublished work like this has not been subjected to peer review, which is the problem. It hasn't been vetted so we have no idea if this is effective, dangerous, or whether the study was done with scientific rigor on humans.

Acg is dead on with this post.
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    This is smart-looking stuff but maybe I'm not-so-smart -- what's wrong with the 2007 study? Just that it hasn't been duplicated/published?

There is no legal requirement to publish the result of a clinical study (in the UK at least), so a company with questionable ethics is likely only tend to publish studies which report findings favourable to their cause/drug/supplement.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I was about to go all psycho-pissed about another Raspberry Ketone thread, but this actually brought me great joy.

Thank you so much for doing the research and posting your findings!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options

There is no legal requirement to publish the result of a clinical study (in the UK at least), so a company with questionable ethics is likely only tend to publish studies which report findings favourable to their cause/drug/supplement.

This too.
  • I see.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    We should all chip in and put you on salary. Your job would be to watch Dr. Quack and debunk the horse$hit he spews before the forums are flooded with his latest miracle fat loss cure.

Really kids - science has proven again and again that a balanced diet and plenty of daily activity not only work - you don't have to pay extra for them!
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    But... but... Dr. Oz is a DOCTOR! :sad:
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    Raspberry Ketones have been used for awhile now but again the issue with fat burners and other pills is people don't understand what they are for. (BTW, I don't buy into Raspberry Ketones, but there are fat burners that work)

#1. They aren't miracle pills, you still have to move your *kitten* and eat right (in a deficit)
    #2. They aren't made for people needing to drop a ton of weight, they are made for those people at a lower body fat (12% or so) who usually want to drop sub 10% BF. That is what they are designed for, they aren't designed for people trying to lose a bunch of weight to take and watch it melt off.
    #3. There are plenty of supplements that don't have medical backing that do work. DAA is one of them, I've heard so many interesting varying things about DAA. I know from my blood work that DAA does indeed work for test. boosting.
    #4. Not all supplements work for everyone, we are all different and some supplements you might be non-responding to. I've tired a few that did nothing to me, but I gave them to my bud who had great success with them. Our bodies are not all the same.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Oprah is going to be furious when she reads this.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Oprah is going to be furious when she reads this.

uh oh .... we do NOT want to piss off Oprah.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    I ate raspberries in my smoothie today. They were delicious.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    We should all chip in and put you on salary. Your job would be to watch Dr. Quack and debunk the horse$hit he spews before the forums are flooded with his latest miracle fat loss cure.

Really kids - science has proven again and again that a balanced diet and plenty of daily activity not only work - you don't have to pay extra for them!
    Except that we will continue to look for a shortcut or secret.