Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Help: Piercings and Working Out

LeilaFace
LeilaFace Posts: 390 Member
A serious problem has popped up since I started doing cardio every day. I'm not listing this to get attention or "troll" or anything. Since I started working out more my boob piercing has gotten really agitated and has swollen and caused a lot of discomfort.

I used to work out a lot and I never had this problem so I'm not sure what is going on. I've had the piercing for 12 years and don't plan on getting rid of it any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• Tape it or band-aid it down
  • lookslikeyoda
    lookslikeyoda Posts: 161 Member
    I had a surface piercing on my hip which I've had to take out, left a nasty scar :(
  • LeilaFace
    I could see how a hip piercing would get mega irritated.

I'll try to band-aid it down. I had to sleep with it out last night first time in awhile i miss it ;(
  • DawnVanHaaften
    DawnVanHaaften Posts: 11 Member
    yep-the constant rubbing mixed with sweating is gonna definitely agitate it. Make sure you clean around it and triple antibiotic ointment it. But for sure tape it down!
  • LeilaFace
    Thank you!

Last night I took out the piercing cleaned it with hydrogen peroxide and warm water covered the pierced area with neosporin and just put the piercing back in (after a dip in alcohol) which sucked but I'll just keep cleaning it and I'll definitely start covering it better. Do band-aids keep sweat out even if all you have are pirate band-aids? Because apparently all I have are pirate band-aids. i might go to the store and find something better.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    How about just taking it out while exercising? I mean, if it's been 12 years and you can take it out overnight, it's not like it'll close up in an hour of exercise. :wink:
  • lizdavis07
    lizdavis07 Posts: 766 Member
    How about just taking it out while exercising? I mean, if it's been 12 years and you can take it out overnight, it's not like it'll close up in an hour of exercise. :wink:

^ I agree with this. I have a surface hip and a horizontal surface under my belly button. When I'm planning on hardcore working out, I remove them.
  • hollyeverhart
    hollyeverhart Posts: 397 Member
    When I had my nipples pierced working out was HELL. Goodluck! :) I never found a solution.
  • hollyeverhart
    hollyeverhart Posts: 397 Member
    Thank you!

Last night I took out the piercing cleaned it with hydrogen peroxide and warm water covered the pierced area with neosporin and just put the piercing back in (after a dip in alcohol) which sucked but I'll just keep cleaning it and I'll definitely start covering it better. Do band-aids keep sweat out even if all you have are pirate band-aids? Because apparently all I have are pirate band-aids. i might go to the store and find something better.

You shouldn't clean a piercing with hydrogen peroxide. My piercer told me it erodes the skin, and doesn't help at all, it dries out the skin/kills white blood cells. I have always swore by sea salt or wound wash... 25 piercing later and those two things have always worked for me! When I was younger I messed up my belly button ring using peroxide, it never healed and now I have a ugly scar from it. (I know you're piercing is healed but if it is irritated drying it out and irritating it more will just make it worse )
  • i have mine pierced too, i dont have any issues with mine and ive only had mine done for a year now. i would probably band aid or tape if having problems. good luck :)
  • Amanda0325
    Amanda0325 Posts: 245 Member
    how about a different sports bra? or wearing a regular bra with a sports bra ontop? i have both done and that is what i do and have no issues.
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Women without nip piercings (myself included) get nipple rash from running. They make a product called body glide. It is like a stick of deoderant and you rub it anywhere you want to prevent chaffing. I would assume this would also work for a pierced area. Also, I get blisters when I run and my doc said Band Aids are a big no no as they further cause irritation and blisters do to the cotton absorbing piece rubbing, which is no different then a sock. Band Aid makes a blister bandage which is all plastic and gel like. works wonders on my feet...not sure about how it would work on the ta tas!
  • rbvaudrizle
    rbvaudrizle Posts: 69 Member
    U need a breatheable tape that can move with you without irritating the already swollen piercing. Use kinesio tape. My brother was my beach volleyball partner for years and he swears by it. He used to dive and fall hard before the tape and he would scream every time. After the tape he said it was so much better because it did not get irritated from the prior movement so the diving wasn't so bad.
  • DeathKitty23
    DeathKitty23 Posts: 64 Member
    Id just stick to taking it out - I know that this sucks I hate taking any peircings out but if its only for an hour or too no harm done..plus you can get a proper clean before putting it back in :) x
  • LeilaFace
    Thank you!

You shouldn't clean a piercing with hydrogen peroxide. My piercer told me it erodes the skin, and doesn't help at all, it dries out the skin/kills white blood cells. I have always swore by sea salt or wound wash... 25 piercing later and those two things have always worked for me! When I was younger I messed up my belly button ring using peroxide, it never healed and now I have a ugly scar from it. (I know you're piercing is healed but if it is irritated drying it out and irritating it more will just make it worse )

I use the hydrogen peroxide ON the jewelry not my skin. It helps to break up any build up on the jewelry, mine is a bar with skulls so there's lots of nooks and crannies. I use antibacterial soap, Aquaphor and neosporin on my actual "wound." I've had it for 12 years, I'm not crazy :)
  • LeilaFace
    Women without nip piercings (myself included) get nipple rash from running. They make a product called body glide. It is like a stick of deoderant and you rub it anywhere you want to prevent chaffing. I would assume this would also work for a pierced area. Also, I get blisters when I run and my doc said Band Aids are a big no no as they further cause irritation and blisters do to the cotton absorbing piece rubbing, which is no different then a sock. Band Aid makes a blister bandage which is all plastic and gel like. works wonders on my feet...not sure about how it would work on the ta tas!

Thank You! Will keep all of this in mind!
  • LeilaFace
    U need a breatheable tape that can move with you without irritating the already swollen piercing. Use kinesio tape. My brother was my beach volleyball partner for years and he swears by it. He used to dive and fall hard before the tape and he would scream every time. After the tape he said it was so much better because it did not get irritated from the prior movement so the diving wasn't so bad.

THANK YOU! Will do this!
  • LeilaFace
    Id just stick to taking it out - I know that this sucks I hate taking any peircings out but if its only for an hour or too no harm done..plus you can get a proper clean before putting it back in :) x

I think I'll work on trying to take it out before gym time. i often forget because I don't even notice it anymore (I've had it so long) but now that it's been painful I certainly remember it's there.

THANK YOU ALL FOR THE ADVICE.
  • Corryn78
    Corryn78 Posts: 215
    Mine started to migrate forward, which got painful and eventually had to be removed. This was after about 10 years, so I hope yours aren't starting to do that also. I'd second the body glide idea. I have to put that on all the sensitive skin on my chest when I run any long amount of time.
  • DawnVanHaaften
    DawnVanHaaften Posts: 11 Member

I was seriously going to recommend the blister bandage too. lol. I don't know if it would work well or not either, but it sure is like a second skin on my heels that are thin due to having stitches on both before so now I can't wear any shoes with heels without them. (I usually wear sandals all year round even though it is currently at freezing temps-but with my heels I just can't wear much else!)