Anyone out there take flax seeds?

Options

Replies

• sblair77
    sblair77 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I sprinkle them on my salads for crunch :-)
  • OceansForever
    OceansForever Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I use to take flax seeds, but not I eat Chia seeds, it has more Omega's than flax, has 3X the antioxidants as blueberries, more calcium than milk, more iron than spinach and is a better protein source than beans or soy!! I put them in my oatmeal and my protein shakes, and you can sprinkle them on your spinach salad... and Chia seeds taste better.. well I can't taste them so that is good lol
    I hadn't heard about Chia seeds until last week on MFP and really would like to learn more about it. Good to know that they don't have much of a taste as I am looking for ways to feed it to my beyond picky 4 year old :/
  • Ephena
    Ephena Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I have tried flax seeds but find it easier to take a flax/omega vitamin.
  • AngelEyes127
    Options
    Wow! Thank you all for the great ideas! I appreciate the quick response! :)
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    My sister in law puts in on her cereal. I may try it after reading this x
  • Greyseal
    Options
    I put it in cereal, oatmeal, yogurt--anything that I can think of. Its a wonderful source of fiber.
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I put them into my muffin recipe.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    I use flaxseeds instead of granola in my yogurt.
  • CrazyDaisysMommy
    Options
    I like to add ground flax to my omlette and to sprinkle in yogurt with fruit. I used whole flax seed when I made granola last week and I'm so sorry I did because I apparently can't digest the whole seeds!
  • shamr0ck
    shamr0ck Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I put 2 tablespoons of organic ground flax into my yogurt or oatmeal every morning.
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Used to grind our own, but that's such a hassle, so we buy cold-milled flax and sprinkle it under pasta sauce, in vegetable dishes, mix a teaspoon or so into smoothies, etc. I had stopped for a long time (years), but my blood work came back with low HDL and high LDL, so I've added it back to my diet.
  • Majormountainbabe
    Options
    I grind a 1 tablespoon of flax every day in a small dedicated grinder and add it to my smoothie in the morning.
    My daughter likes the flavor - I'm not a huge fan but in the smoothie I don't even know it's there.
  • slim422
    slim422 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Our family eats both flaxseed (ground only you shouldn't eat them whole) and chia seeds. We add flaxseed as so many others have said to the standard oatmeal, cereals, salads etc. I also use dry ground flax as a thickener. For example, I made homemade beans last weekend, they were a bit runny so I added some ground flax seed, basically we put them in everything.

As for the chia seeds, we eat them both dry and I always have a container of chia water in the fridge, which depending on how much seed you use can be very runny or thick almost like jello. I stir in a tablespoon of chia water to nearly every meal - stir-frys, spaghetti and other sauces. Another posted has already commented on the nutrition value, which is outstanding.

My son uses chia seeds as part of his training in martial arts to avoid dehydration as many runners do. Before a competition he consumes a teaspoon of dry seeds followed by a litre of water over the next 20 minutes or so and he finds he does not dehydrate as quickly and no need for commercial energy drinks.

Hope this helps.....
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    On the subject of Chia seeds, I do want to say that if, if you have heart problems, are on blood thinners or aspirin therapy, or have low blood pressure (or are on medication to lower blood pressure), use caution when ingesting Chia seeds.

Otherwise, carry on and enjoy!
  • MummyOfSeven
    MummyOfSeven Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I make my own breakfast bars. Plenty of seeds in the recipe, including flax.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Just a note, if you're taking flax for it's Omega 3's you should really look at fish oil instead as the conversion of ALA to EPA/DHA is very inefficient in humans
  • Banks01
    Banks01 Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I use to take flax seeds, but not I eat Chia seeds, it has more Omega's than flax, has 3X the antioxidants as blueberries, more calcium than milk, more iron than spinach and is a better protein source than beans or soy!! I put them in my oatmeal and my protein shakes, and you can sprinkle them on your spinach salad... and Chia seeds taste better.. well I can't taste them so that is good lol

I switched recently as well. So far I've just used them in shakes but am going to try them with fish tonight.

And I'm doing a little experiment with them. They absorb 9 to 10 times their weight in water and turn into a gel. Some athletes eat them like that with a spoon.

They warn about hydration because of this.
  • Tara4boys
    Tara4boys Posts: 515 Member
    Options

This! Love my chia seeds. They fill me up too! In addition to uses this poster says, I put them in my yogurt. They are tiny like poppy seeds and don't taste.
  • marquesajen
    Options
    I put whole or ground flax seeds in my yogurt, smoothies, on salads, oatmeal, etc.
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    I go for the whole food so I use ground flax seeds. I understand that if you use whole flax seeds you must break them (chew them) to get the benefit of eating them. I add them to oatmeal AFTER I cook it or else I find it gets gelatinous. I also add them to smoothies. I've heard that eating nuts or seeds with greens helps to release the nutrients of the greens into your body, too.