no movement this week

Options
My weight has plateaued... oh crap! It has not moved this week, the measurements are not moving either. I've been sticking to my diet, i run on the treadmill EVERY day. It makes no sense. I thought last week that it was because i wasn't eating enough, so i have been eating back my calories, but i'm stuck, without a reason. Any ideas???:frown:

Replies

• eileencorry
    Options
    I've made my diary public if any1 wants to check, and advise....:ohwell:
  • Juneliliy
    Juneliliy Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Do you drink any Tea? Green Tea?
  • islandjumper
    islandjumper Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    do you take measurements and not just rely on the scale? Could there be water retention? there's any number of reasons. You look like you're doing alright. I wouldn't sweat it...only if it stays for a couple weeks, then maybe take a week off then get back to it. Do you allow yourself a rest day, when you don't run? or a cheat day/meal ? Maybe it's time to incorporate one or both of those into your weekly routine?
    Just a couple suggestions. Good luck!
  • Dexy_
    Dexy_ Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Unless you're under 5ft there's no need to eat so few calories. I'd up your intake to at least 1400.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Don't panic, it's not uncommon to not lose for a week or so - it could be hormonal, or due to the kind of food you've been eating, or just your body holding on for some reason unknown.

Don't feel as though you have to cut calories madly -stick to a moderate calorie deficit, get as many fruit and veggies in there as you can, watch your sodium if you think you might be retaining fluid, and just keep going. This isn't a sprint, it's a marathon. One of the most helpful things I did last year was chart my weight loss monthly. That way I could see that htere was a downward trend over the years -whereas week to week it was much harder to see.
  • eileencorry
    Options

No, what are the benefits of green tea? I have seen slimming tea, but i don't know if its a 'weight loss gimmick'.
  • eileencorry
    Options
    Don't panic, it's not uncommon to not lose for a week or so - it could be hormonal, or due to the kind of food you've been eating, or just your body holding on for some reason unknown.

Don't feel as though you have to cut calories madly -stick to a moderate calorie deficit, get as many fruit and veggies in there as you can, watch your sodium if you think you might be retaining fluid, and just keep going. This isn't a sprint, it's a marathon. One of the most helpful things I did last year was chart my weight loss monthly. That way I could see that htere was a downward trend over the years -whereas week to week it was much harder to see.

Most days i'm trying to find food to increase my intake, if i only ate when i was hungry, i don't think i'd be eating much at all. I am in it for the long haul, i've done the diets where i've lost 7kgs in one week. Instant gratification (until you resume normal eating) and then bam its back, and it brought along another 7kgs for good luck. This time all i want is a steady loss, a kilo a week, anything...
  • Bloowhale
    Options
    This is not a professional opinion, but it could be because you're not increasing your workout.

I had a trainer tell me that your body will adapt to your exercise (just like it adapts to most other things), and if you don't switch up your routine or increase your workout you'll eventually plateau. I thought that it made perfect sense after it was explained to me.

This is really only a suggestion, but maybe you should change up your routine or increase your workout?

- Bloo
  • eileencorry
    Options
    I have just this week increased my workout, i bought a treadmill! And each day i increase my distance run. I have added in ab crunches these last two days, and i do a little bit with the weights. Up until the beginning of this year I would have driven the car down the driveway to collect the mail!
  • eileencorry
    Options

I bought some green tea today, so i'll give that a try...:flowerforyou:
  • eileencorry
    Options
    do you take measurements and not just rely on the scale? Could there be water retention? there's any number of reasons. You look like you're doing alright. I wouldn't sweat it...only if it stays for a couple weeks, then maybe take a week off then get back to it. Do you allow yourself a rest day, when you don't run? or a cheat day/meal ? Maybe it's time to incorporate one or both of those into your weekly routine?
    Just a couple suggestions. Good luck!

I ate extra today, and i didn't do any exercise, in the hope of trickin my body out of this plateau... willing to try almost anything at this stage
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,398 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Well weight loss isn't linear so you can't expect to lose every week. Second, I would look at you diet. Some days you are really under, some days you are above. Do yourself a favor and cut your deficit to 1 lb per week (if not already) and eat back 50-75% of your exercise calories. If that doesn't work, then add another 200 calories to your diet. Or you can add your exercise into your TDEE calculation. For example, I have a desk job (sedentary) but workout 6 days a week, so I am very active. This prevents you from chasing calories.

And add more weight training and a little less cardio.
  • carlageek
    carlageek Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Some weeks you just aren't going to see weight loss. It would be nice if your weight just marched cooperatively downward week after week but that simply isn't the way your body works. Nearly everyone loses in fits and starts.

Your body weight depends upon more than just what you eat and how much fat you burn. It depends too upon how much fluid you are retaining in your tissues, which in turn depends upon many factors, some of which are within your control and some of which are not. Fluid retention can be caused by sodium intake, dehydration, not getting enough sleep, changing your exercise routine, sore muscles that are healing, hormones, the weather - more factors than one can count or control.

These fluid-weight fluctuations can be up to 4-pound swings, even more for some people. So even if you lose 1-2 pounds of fat in a particular week, fluid weight can easily mask that in your total body weight and make it look like you haven't lost any fat.

Because fluid retention can easily mask several weeks' worth of actual fat loss, it's not really meaningful to look at a one-week change in weight and decide that you are not losing or have hit a plateau. Changes in your body weight are really only meaningful on a several-week or longer time scale. Give it at least 3-4 weeks before you start thinking in terms of a plateau. Stick to your plan and be patient. It's the only thing you can do.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    i run on the treadmill EVERY day...so i have been eating back my calories, but i'm stuck, without a reason. Any ideas???:frown:

Are you using a HRM or the treadmill settings? Machines are often wrong, you might be eating back too much, I'd invest in a HRM, I don't have one so I eat back about 1/2 my exercise calories.
  • AlbertPooHoles
    AlbertPooHoles Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Are your bowels moving properly?
  • Clara
    Clara Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I am blaming my plateau on my increased activity. I started back on MFP a few weeks ago and really watched what I was eating. BAM! Lost 7 pounds within 2 weeks. Felt so good, i went out and bought a staionary bike and I have on it about 60 minutes per day. My scale STOPPED moving. I remember this happening to me before. I hear my friends complain about it too. It seems that when you START to exercise, your body holds on to the weight. I hope it wont last too long. Hard to stay motivated when you are watching the scale for gratification.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    One week without a loss is NOT a plateau. 3 Months with no loss is a plateau. Just chill and check it next week.
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    2 adays at the gym until the morale improves
  • eileencorry
    Options
    Almost a month and still no movement on the scales. Some days it even goes up! BUT i can now see the difference in the mirror. My clothes are fitting better, and the workout clothes i was gonna have to slim down to fit, now fit! Scales be damned, you don't rule, you don't rock, and you certainly don't count!
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Almost a month and still no movement on the scales. Some days it even goes up! BUT i can now see the difference in the mirror. My clothes are fitting better, and the workout clothes i was gonna have to slim down to fit, now fit! Scales be damned, you don't rule, you don't rock, and you certainly don't count!

Great Attitude!!!!!!!