New to this - How do you deal with this situation?

Options
Quick disclaimer: Despite this site stating that I've been doing this for a year, I did this for a month or so a year ago and then finally started again last week, so I'm still really new.

Anyway, yesterday, I reached my calorie goal after eating dinner fairly early in the evening (Around 7pm), but I still felt pretty hungry. However, I didn't want to go over my limit and just decided to grin and bear the constant stomach grumblings. I managed to get through the rest of the night, but it was pretty tough.

How do you deal with situations like this? Does it get easier?

Replies

• ShelbyBeck414
    Options
    its alll about planning...so now you know that you were very hungry in the evening, perhaps you need to space things out a bit more, or 'save' more of your calories for the evening... you'll figure it out!! :D Good Luck
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    its alll about planning...so now you know that you were very hungry in the evening, perhaps you need to space things out a bit more, or 'save' more of your calories for the evening... you'll figure it out!! :D Good Luck

This and more protein at dinner.
  • Zalovar
    Zalovar Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Well, I had the same exact problem that had been haunting me for some time. I eat dinner and shortly afterward, I would be starving hungry. I'm not sure if I was actually hungry or just in one of my craving modes but I would always end up snacking on anything and everything I could get my hands on. So, to counteract this problem my doctor recommended this: Before you start eating your dinner, drink 1 pint of water. I know that can be difficult for alot of people, it was for me, but I made myself do it. Then, eat 1/2 of your dinner and drink 1 more pint of water. If you're still hungry after that, eat the rest of your food. I think this works for two reason, 1) it fills up yoru stomach and 2) it makes you slow down your eating which hellps control cravings. I tried this and after about 2 weeks or so I didn't have to do it anymore because my body adjusted...it was just getting over those first few weeks taht were tough. I still snack after dinner now, but its planned and portion controlled so I don't overeat and don't go over my calories. I know exactly what you're facing and it does become much more manageable once you get over that hump.

Good luck!
  • Jessi40
    Jessi40 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I drink water or hot tea and it helps me...
  • chellekoren
    chellekoren Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I drink water or hot tea and it helps me...

This is what I would try the next time. Sometimes you really are thirsty. Hot drinks, tea seems most palatable to me at night and the least amount of calories, suppresses my appetite. Try this.

I get really hungry days and this is a trick that helps hold me over when I know I cannot eat anymore calories.
  • jonnyk82
    Options
    All right, thanks for the tips!
  • EJsMummy26
    EJsMummy26 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I workout in the evening, so I usually have a healthy snack after. Hard boiled egg and an apple. My husband does peanut butter and apple. Usually a protein fiber combination.

I eat even when I'm not "starving" because other I wake up ravishing.
  • fitnessfreeky
    Options
    I have a good Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner. I have a couple snacks inbetween each meal. I eat every 2-3 hours. My day starts at 6:00am and ends at 11:00pm. That is a long time between dinner and breakfast. You need something, even a little bowl of cereal, before going to bed.
  • Italianyc84
    Italianyc84 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    have something small--an apple or a piece of cheese. But, aim for more filling calories during the day (high in protein and high in good carbs--whole grain, etc. 100 calories of cake is not as filling as 100 calories of, say, beans).