Someone decode this "eat your workout calories back" shiz fo

Options

Replies

• BetterCrazyThanLazy
    Options
    1500 sounds low for maintenance calories. Are you sure that isn't your basic metabolic rate without any activity factored in? How much do you weigh? I think if your deficit is only 300 to start with you could safely burn 500 calories and not eat all of them. I don't know that at your weight you should be aiming to lose two pounds a week though.

I am 5'5" and weigh 146 lbs. The profile pic is what I want to me, it's me about 6 years ago at around 130 lbs. My goal is to drop about 10 lbs.
  • BetterCrazyThanLazy
    Options
    Weight isn't the best measure of fitness which is why I think it shouldn't be used as a goal.

I agree, but I can't adopt the mentality of "go by how your clothes fit" : )
  • marquesajen
    Options
    When I didn't eat mine back I lost nothing and was hungry all the time. If not eating them back doesn't work then try eating them back.

Example.
    No weight loss, normal intake for me is about 1900
    My 1/lb a week loss calorie intake is 1500
    So I need 1500 for my body to do normal functions, nothing else
    If I burn 300 calories from running then my body is running on 1200 calories for normal functions.
    If I eat back my exercise calories I am running on a total of 1500 calories that day, not 1800.
  • BetterCrazyThanLazy
    Options
    If you're not eating enough while working out intensely, your body actually goes into a little "starvation mode" because it's not getting the nutrients it needs, so in turn it hangs onto everything it can. This could be why you're not losing weight... I am doing P90X right now and it is SUPER intense, we burn about 500-600 calories in an hour workout. I am 5'4" and my goal is to lose weight and I am eating 1300 on my rest day and around 1800 on workout days. I hope this helps!! Good luck!! :)

I do P90X Plyo and Cardio and I do Insanity Max Interval Plyo and Cardo, I rotate them every day and run 3 miles on my "rest" days. How many calories to we actually burn on average with those workouts (assuming 45-60 min)???
  • amyy902
    amyy902 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    everybody is differnt. bmrs are never fully accurate they are just a rough guideline as peoples m'tabs work diffs. so yeppp as long as youre eating more than 1000cals a day i wouldnt stress, if you start to notice youre loooosing weight just add a few cals into your diet. and things will level out.
  • NYCDutchess
    NYCDutchess Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Get yourself a HRM. That is a good way to gage.
  • jenniebean1680
    jenniebean1680 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    EAT. THEM.

MFP has a deficit already worked into your net, so if you hit it exactly, you are at the right deficit to lose without stressing your body and metabolism out, which causes weight loss to stall. So even if you burn 1000, and you are eating 2200 to hit your net of 1200, you are STILL at a deficit. Less sometimes is NOT more. Sometimes it means more on the scale. Not kidding. I have been there.

EAT.
  • AlbertPooHoles
    AlbertPooHoles Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I do P90X Plyo and Cardio and I do Insanity Max Interval Plyo and Cardo, I rotate them every day and run 3 miles on my "rest" days. How many calories to we actually burn on average with those workouts (assuming 45-60 min)???
    It's all estimation, but an HRM will provide the best estimation.
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Supposedly, if my maintenance calories are at about 1500, then if I eat 1200 (that's what MFP calculated for me) I create a 300 deficit and if I work out I create another 200-300 (usually a lot more!) calories deficit, which makes it at least 500 calories a day x 7 days a week =3500 calories deficit to lose 2 lbs (correction - 1 lb a week)! I haven't lost anything in over 2 weeks even though my workouts are intense! "EAT more" just sounds crazy to me! It goes against all and everything I know or have done so far....

If I eat my work out calories back then I don’t create as much of a deficit. It works in theory but it doesn’t work in practice!!!

Help!!!

The exercise calories are an estimate and in my belief highly inflated. HRM are still guessing athough should be more accurate than MFP as they are using your exercising heart rate in the equation. Try eating back half of what the calculators suggest you have burnt. You'll feel it if that's too little or too much
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Weight isn't the best measure of fitness which is why I think it shouldn't be used as a goal.

I agree, but I can't adopt the mentality of "go by how your clothes fit" : )

It's difficult at first, but eventually liberating.
  • missQ79
    missQ79 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    EAT. THEM.

MFP has a deficit already worked into your net, so if you hit it exactly, you are at the right deficit to lose without stressing your body and metabolism out, which causes weight loss to stall. So even if you burn 1000, and you are eating 2200 to hit your net of 1200, you are STILL at a deficit. Less sometimes is NOT more. Sometimes it means more on the scale. Not kidding. I have been there.

EAT.

THIS!!! you're body needs fuel and nutrients to repair what you did to it with p90x and insanity. EAT for heaven's sake. If anything, you'll push out a more effective workout if you have some energy stored, and in turn, breaking the platuea (sp?). You gotta EAT!
  • Jingram2b
    Options
    "EAT THEM" -- ditto

It's true that calories out > calories in = weight loss...but if you're not close to your BMR (several factors influence what you actually need before your body starts storing extra fat, i.e. "starvation mode") you can lose lean muscle, which helps drive fat loss.

Know your BMR, figure out your maintenance calories and use those as your guide. It will take some trial and error, but it works.

Often when people hit a plateau, it's because they aren't eating enough -- especially when they're smaller and close to a goal.

This isn't an overnight solution. Each person is different and can tolerate different amounts of weight loss per week (if you break it down per week), but if you're a 145 lb person trying to get to 135 with 15% body fat, you have to go about it differently than a 350 lb person with 40% body fat.
  • BetterCrazyThanLazy
    Options
    EAT. THEM.

EAT.

Got it!!!!! I will aim to hit the net of 1200 and see if that makes a difference. There are days that my net is at around 600-800...ugh...
  • BetterCrazyThanLazy
    Options
    EAT. THEM.

EAT.

THIS!!! you're body needs fuel and nutrients to repair what you did to it with p90x and insanity. EAT for heaven's sake. If anything, you'll push out a more effective workout if you have some energy stored, and in turn, breaking the platuea (sp?). You gotta EAT!

Thanks!!!! :)
  • BetterCrazyThanLazy
    Options
    "EAT THEM" -- ditto

It's true that calories out > calories in = weight loss...but if you're not close to your BMR (several factors influence what you actually need before your body starts storing extra fat, i.e. "starvation mode") you can lose lean muscle, which helps drive fat loss.

Know your BMR, figure out your maintenance calories and use those as your guide. It will take some trial and error, but it works.

Often when people hit a plateau, it's because they aren't eating enough -- especially when they're smaller and close to a goal.

This isn't an overnight solution. Each person is different and can tolerate different amounts of weight loss per week (if you break it down per week), but if you're a 145 lb person trying to get to 135 with 15% body fat, you have to go about it differently than a 350 lb person with 40% body fat.

I am going to give it a week, up my calories and continue working out like crazy. Hopefully I will see SOME progress, but I know for sure my workouts are going to be a lot better when there is fuel to burn. Thanks!
  • BetterCrazyThanLazy
    Options

M, do you use yours? I check my HR during my P90X and Insanity workouts and it's at least 140-160...but I don't know what to make of it. : )
  • jaynemaria
    jaynemaria Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Well 10 yrs ago I lost weight doing the Rosemary Connoly diet, I weighed a stone less at the start than I am now and was very active,not working out but had a physical job, the team leader set my calories at 1550 and this was the amount to eat whether I exercised or not
    I lost 3.8 stone. Since becoming ill I cant exercise and have the sedentry mode ticked in my goals and my net calories was 1240 although I changed it to 1300. This seems fair to me compared to what calories I could eat on the RC diet as there is no exercise involved .So yes I would eat the calories I burned off. Hope this makes sense:smile:
  • Jingram2b
    Options

M, do you use yours? I check my HR during my P90X and Insanity workouts and it's at least 140-160...but I don't know what to make of it. : )

Try this: http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/heart-rate-based-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx

You need to know your average heart rate and length of exercise.
  • jenniebean1680
    jenniebean1680 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    EAT. THEM.

EAT.

Got it!!!!! I will aim to hit the net of 1200 and see if that makes a difference. There are days that my net is at around 600-800...ugh...
    Dude, i second that 'ugh' because I was doing that for months. When I started thinking in terms of 'net', I realized there were some days when I was (no joke) netting like 300 cals. When you think about that being the equivalent of sitting on your butt at home, doing nothing, and only eating 300 calories for the day... that sounds pretty insane, disordered, etc, right? That woke me up. It took my nutritionist yelling at me (gently, but still exacerbated), and making this revelation in my own head to get me ready and willing to eat up to and over 2000 on days I work out. That sounded like gorging myself, and it was hard at first, but my workouts are better and the scale is slowly moving in the right direction. It took a long time, though, since I was eating 1300-1400 and burning 500-1200 a day for a very long time.
  • ritmeyer
    ritmeyer Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I ate around 1900 calories yesterday. (I think, you can look at my diary) I worked out a boatload, tuesdays are my crazy days. I teach an intense workout class 1 hour, ran 5 miles and played volleyball. (half marathon training) I have been working really hard on eating back my workout calories as I wasn't eating back many. I lost 3.3 lbs this week after a weeks of nothing. I'm almost to my goal weight, but I have been stalling out. I'm sold on trying to eat back the majority of my workout cals. It's not that I didn't realize that my body needs fuel and I always know I can eat the workout cals, it's just now I'm being really mindful to do it.

EAT!!!!