Scared of lifting in a gym

Options
I never post in the forums, but I think I really need some encouragement here.

I started NROLFW last week, and I'm doing it at home. I'm scared to death to try and do these workouts in a gym. I've never been in a weight room, I only use the cardio equipment at the gym, and I have no idea what I'm doing.

Even though I know in my head that I shouldn't feel this way.... I still do feel this way. I feel silly bringing a book or workout log with me to the gym, and I feel silly asking for help. And when it comes to some of the exercises (especially the ones that require you to balance on a friggin ball!!!), I'm scared that I'm going to be doing it all wrong, have screwed up form, or worst case scenario fall down and make a total fool of myself. LOL

I really want to get the most out of this program, but the only equipment I have at home is:

6, 8, & 14 inch steps
The ball
2, 3, 5, 8, & 10 lb dumbbells.

Somehow I don't think that's going to be enough. I thought I could get away with just buying the ball and the 10 lb weights, at least to start, but then I saw the deadlifts (no barbell) and lat pulldowns, and I started questioning the logic in that.

Can I make modifications to all of the exercises that require equipment that I don't have? That's what I am currently doing. Or will I eventually regret doing that? To anyone who has done this program, is there some basic equipment that I can buy, like the barbell, that will get me through the program at home without losing any of the benefits?

Or do I just need to suck it up and go to the gym and make a fool out of myself?

Replies

• jmanthei98
    jmanthei98 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I totally understand why you would be freaked out about going to the gym. I'm not doing that program, yet, but let me say this. I have lifted in a gym before, without really knowing what I was doing. I felt silly at first, but the gym and it's staff are there to help you learn! It sounds like you might be able to get away with doing at home for a little while, but for the full effect, you'll have to do some at the gym. And honestly, if you're worried about form, the gym is where you should be.

That's just my two cents, but what do I know? LOL Good luck!!!
  • nutandbutter
    Options
    Don't be scared; everyone starts somewhere! Trust me, everyone in there is more focused on themselves than on you. I'm the only girl in the weight area most times and it's really not a big deal. You can write your program out (or enter it into Jefit- a free app) then you won't have to carry the book with you. A lot of people keep logs so it's really no big deal. Good luck!
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    If you're reading New Rules For Lifting you know more than 80% of the people in the weight room. Just go in there like you own the place, do your stuff, and get out.

I don't how people can lift and NOT keep track of what they're doing. You'll be the one setting a good example by carrying a notebook.
  • kimberstastic
    Options
    Don't be afraid of lifting at the gym! Just focus on your form, do the reps & sets as expected in your book, get in and get out. Everyone's far more concerned with themselves and won't bother to spend the time looking at you. I second the notebook, I used to do that all the time. Record weight/reps and exercise and any other notes you'll need (positioning of the machine if you're using them, etc..). Once you do it, you won't know what you were so afraid of!
  • SarahRuth♥
    SarahRuth♥ Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    If you're reading New Rules For Lifting you know more than 80% of the people in the weight room.

LOL. The book essentially says that, too. I think I'm just having a hard time believing it!!
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    I was super intimidated at first. Now I'm so much better. Everyone is so nice and so helpful. Not nearly as scary as i thought. Plus I kind of try to go at off times...LOL
  • SarahRuth♥
    Options
    I was super intimidated at first. Now I'm so much better. Everyone is so nice and so helpful. Not nearly as scary as i thought. Plus I kind of try to go at off times...LOL

I was thinking that maybe going at off times would be a good idea! I think I'd have to get up super early in the morning to do that, though. Like be at the gym at 5am!!!
  • karenhs2
    karenhs2 Posts: 197
    Options

I was thinking that maybe going at off times would be a good idea! I think I'd have to get up super early in the morning to do that, though. Like be at the gym at 5am!!!

Ask at your gym what the off hours are, you might be surprised. And really, it will be okay! Just do it! Don't let fear or someone else keep you from your goals. Most people either won't care what you are doing or they will be happy to help. Really.
  • Jolenebib
    Jolenebib Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    You could ease into working out at the gym. Keep doing what you are doing at home, but do a workout or two at the gym during non-busy times. Friday nights, Saturday and Sunday afternoons are really great times to go because there is hardly anyone there (at least at my gym, which gets REALLY busy on weeknights after 6). I also get a little self-conscious. I just put my headphones in and focus on what I am doing and ignore everyone else. Don't feel weird bringing the notebook - you should keep track. That's what most people are doing anyway. Also, don't be afraid to ask the staff for help, that's what they are there for.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    It is intimidating at first, but once you get the hang of it you'll chuckle at yourself for ever feeling that way... I usually bring index cards of each machine to keep track of what I'm doing... but I will have to check out that book, because I would much rather lift than run on a treadmill as if I were a rodent... :-/
  • badbull69
    badbull69 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I don't how people can lift and NOT keep track of what they're doing. You'll be the one setting a good example by carrying a notebook.

I've always had a notebook, now I have a smart phone. And found a program to log my workouts. It takes a few minutes to set up before starting, but everything I need is right at my figure tips.

I know how you feel about the gym, even though I'm a dude, I was a scunny little dude the first time in a gym, it was intimidating. I soon found someone to help me out. Im still scunny to a point, but more comfortable.

See if there is a trainer at the gym or someone will to help you with the workout. and exercises.
  • Mary067
    Options
    I know how you feel. Thats why I have a treadmill at home. I am going to start Zumba on the wii cuz I am too freaked out about the classes and looking like a dork. I know it sounds totally stupid but I wonder if I will be able to get those dance moves down at all.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    The gym can be scary, especially if there are a bunch of "muscle-heads" around. But they won't care about you being there too! They are too worried about getting their own workout in, that if they even notice you at all it will be so they don't run you over! And lots of people carry a notebook or clipboard at the gym to log their workout. It's a great way to tell if you're improving!
    Don't be afraid to ask for help. A lot of gyms have personal trainers on staff that could help you with the basics.

I have almost all the same gym equipment at home as you do. I can get a great full body lift with dumbbells and a balance ball. I don't like lifting at the gym either - I get so self-conscious! But truly, the only thing people are thinking about (for the most part) is their own workout. Only thing anyone has ever said to be was good job! :tongue:

Good luck!
  • mon696
    mon696 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I used to carry a notebook but now I use my phone to track my workouts. It's about you, not about them. Do whatever it takes to get to where you want to be. If they have a problem with it, that's their issue, not yours. You have as much of a right to be there as anyone else and I'm sure you will find others that have a book/notebook.

A personal trainer helped me to gain confidence in the gym, it might help, just a thought.
  • SarahRuth♥
    Options

I've always had a notebook, now I have a smart phone. And found a program to log my workouts. It takes a few minutes to set up before starting, but everything I need is right at my figure tips.

I know how you feel about the gym, even though I'm a dude, I was a scunny little dude the first time in a gym, it was intimidating. I soon found someone to help me out. Im still scunny to a point, but more comfortable.

See if there is a trainer at the gym or someone will to help you with the workout. and exercises.

I have a smart phone. What app do you use?
  • wady24
    wady24 Posts: 75
    Options
    I found these great excel sheet template for NROLW online (you need to own the book since it is password protected and the password is words on the book!) but it is a great tool and I dont have to carry the book. I just carry 1 sheet with me everytime I go lift.

As for how you feel in the gym. Serioulsy, just go like you own that place. If you don't know how to do a particular move, just ask one of the trainers. I try to go around 2 pm (post lunch) when all the MEN who think they know what they are doing are gone :) It just gives me easy access to the Squat rack and more place to do my prone jack knife moves!

Just go there...do it for 35 mins....and get out! Believe me, men will usually be in awe seeing a woman use a squat rack irrespective of the weight, A guy at the gym was so impressed when I was NOT using the smith machine and insisted on waiting for the SQuat rack.

Weight lifting ROCKS!
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    If you already go to the gym, I would definetly do your lifting there!!! The book gives you alternate things you can do at home but I think you'll be much happier at the gym. You'll have access to a squat rack and heavier weights and the other equipment needed as you progress through the program and get stronger. I tried to get stuff at home just for the weekend (my gym doesn't have daycare), but I very very quickly outgrew what I had. Also, since I don't have a workout room to put the stuff in, I don't have room to buy more - some day I'll have a weight room in my home, squat rack and all!!

I can send you my tracking sheets - I made my own because I didn't like anything I'd found online. I put mine, along with my cheat sheets for the excercises (which I can send to you as well) on a clip board that I carry with me at the gym along with my pencil. Don't worry about asking for help either - especially with learning how to use something or with your form. There are lots of videos that will help show you form - I definetly recommend watching them. But there's nothing like having someone actually watch you do it and help you fix what you are doing wrong (someone who knows correct form, that is).

If you can lift at an "off" time, that will help. I lift in the morning and there are only a handfull of people using the weight room. When I go down for my lunch-time cardio class, there are a lot more people in there, and I'm pretty happy I don't have to enter then! I much prefer fewer people because then I don't have to wait for anything (most of the time). Not only that, but it's less intimidating if it's not full.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I've thought about keeping track my phone.....but I sweat all over the place. I've since ditched the notebook and keep track in excel. I print out my plan on one sheet of paper, and bum a pen off a trainer to make notes when I'm done. Next time I'm on a computer I enter my notes and make changes as necessary...and print out another sheet....becuase the previous one is drenched and disgusting.
  • SarahRuth♥
    Options
    If you already go to the gym, I would definetly do your lifting there!!! The book gives you alternate things you can do at home but I think you'll be much happier at the gym. You'll have access to a squat rack and heavier weights and the other equipment needed as you progress through the program and get stronger. I tried to get stuff at home just for the weekend (my gym doesn't have daycare), but I very very quickly outgrew what I had. Also, since I don't have a workout room to put the stuff in, I don't have room to buy more - some day I'll have a weight room in my home, squat rack and all!!

I can send you my tracking sheets - I made my own because I didn't like anything I'd found online. I put mine, along with my cheat sheets for the excercises (which I can send to you as well) on a clip board that I carry with me at the gym along with my pencil. Don't worry about asking for help either - especially with learning how to use something or with your form. There are lots of videos that will help show you form - I definetly recommend watching them. But there's nothing like having someone actually watch you do it and help you fix what you are doing wrong (someone who knows correct form, that is).

If you can lift at an "off" time, that will help. I lift in the morning and there are only a handfull of people using the weight room. When I go down for my lunch-time cardio class, there are a lot more people in there, and I'm pretty happy I don't have to enter then! I much prefer fewer people because then I don't have to wait for anything (most of the time). Not only that, but it's less intimidating if it's not full.

Thanks! Can you email that stuff to me? I can send email in a PM. :)
  • SarahRuth♥
    Options
    I've thought about keeping track my phone.....but I sweat all over the place.

I got an indestructible phone for that reason! LOL